• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Meguiar's Boutique Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Meguiar's Boutique Wax

I still think you combine Meguiar's expertise (they are the best in my opinion), with some of the more premium ingredients, and you could take things to another level.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
      Sounds ominous.

The nice thing about waxes is that there are a bunch of good ones from which to choose. If in my judgment a company is charging too much for a wax, I can buy another brand. Competition is good.

Does anyone know what Meguiar's market share of over-the-counter waxes is? Turtle Wax and Mothers would seem to be Meguiar's biggest competitors. My guess is that Turtle Wax has the largest share and Mothers the least, with Meguiar's somewhere in-between; but I may be completely off-base. Eagle One and Black Magic are also somewhere in the mix.

Related question: Can anyone rank the best-selling over-the-counter waxes/sealants? Turtle Wax says that its Super Hard Shell is the best selling wax in the country. I have never used it or any of the other TW waxes.

It might be interesting to compare the marketing strategy of Turtle Wax with that of Meguiar's. Turtle Wax also has its enthusiastic supporters, and they are convinced that, for the dollar, Turtle Wax offers the best value. If there were a TW forum, I imagine that its members would be encouraging folks to compare and contrast TW waxes with the more expensive Meguiar's waxes, in the conviction that the TW waxes are just as good as Meguiar's waxes. After all, we all know that prep is 99% of appearance. All I know is that no matter how good a value Turtle Wax may be, I'm not tempted. Does that make me a snob?
      I believe Meguiar's passed Turtle Wax for the #1 spot in consumer products for 2008. I *think* the market share is around 18.1%. I read a report several months ago...so I could be off.

Comment

I don't mind spending money for wax, as long as it lasts a long time. Love the look/feel of NXT2 in the summer, hate the longevity for the winter. If it would last as long as Collinite 476s I would use it year round! I think their "boutique wax" would be NXT2. There is no need for Megs to make an overpriced wax.
        If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          I believe Meguiar's passed Turtle Wax for the #1 spot in consumer products for 2008.
          Hip, hip, hooray!
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but isn't the goal of Meguiar's to provide the best possible products for the detailing community? If by saying they sell a boutique wax that is better than everything else, it seems that would undermine their marketing goal.

Are there some good waxes on the market that are not Meguiar's? Sure. Personally I like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. It leaves FANTASTIC protection and a nice looking gloss....oh, and easy to apply / remove. Having said that, Meguiars makes a large majority of the products in my detailing cabinet, mostly because their products carry a preceived value by purchasing Megs given the price points and quality of the products.

A boutique wax would be fun to try, but I don't want to get into the "my $100 wax is better than your $100 wax" argument that other boards constantly have...afterall, Mike Phillips has often said that Meguiars would put M26 up against any products from the competition. I just don't see the need for a higher priced, but similar performing product at this time.
            Last edited by ColonelCash; Mar 16, 2009, 08:44 PM.
            NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
              We know from our wide experience that every product can be improved and that new products can be developed that are superior to whatever products are presently being offered. Meguiar's long history of product development and innovation demonstrates the truth of this axiom. Do we not all believe that NXT 2.0 is a better product than NXT 1.0? And will not NXT 3.0 (surely some chemist in the Meguiar's labs is at this moment trying to think of ways to improve the NXT formulation) be better yet?
              No doubt you are correct here but it I also believe there is a cost/benefit analysis that needs to be addressed.

How do you measure "better" vs. "price increase". Does it last longer? Does it shine longer or more? Is it easier on/off? No staining? Does it look better? The problem with most of these measures is that they are entirely subjective. So, if Meg's makes the ultimate wax and call it "3Fitty Shine", how much "better" does it have to be than NXT 2.0 to justify 35 extra bucks?

Is the additional cost worth the benefit?

Also, (and this is a genuine question), don't you think Meg's could make a product like NXT 3.0 with all the things you outlined and still keep it under 20 bucks? Also, I think some of the things you metion, like WOWO, does not lend itself to being better, just easier.

But let me ask this: Would MOL members really think less of NXT or M26 if Meguiar's were to introduce a new $50 wax?
              No, I wouldn't think less of the products but I would think less of the company because I would feel as though moving into the boutique market would've undermined a central principle of their products (ie: "It doesn't have to be expensive to be top quality").

I (personally) would feel like the lied to me. That sounds kind of corny to write, but I really would feel that way.
              ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

i couldnt see Meguiars moving in the boutique wax department

I remember Mike Phillips saying he would put M26 up against any of those other pricey waxes anyday of the week
                Nick
                Tucker's Detailing Services
                815-954-0773
                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

When I think of Meguire's I think of quality at an affordible price. It's a high quality product for the avarage working man....and woman! A boutique wax would go against what Meg's had achived in the past. I've tried some of the Turtle Wax and Eagle One products before, but not to the extent of what I'm doing now with Meg's and I don't feel that they are up to par with Meg's. The other thing that is very attractive is this forum, how many other companies have a forum dedicated to their products where newbies like myself can obtain proper information to use their products from company members themselves? How many companies hold free classes on the weekends? To me this is more valuable then any boutique wax on the market! I'm just a blue collar guy driving a blue collar car that (thanks to Meg's) looks white collar and better then showroom floor condition

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
                  If Meg's does sell a premium priced product, it would need a different brand to imply it is different such as "Barry's Best". You could take M21 relabel as a new product and I assure you some will believe it is a better product.
                  Now what I would be interested in is a special edition wax or polish that would be sold in limited quantities in the 20 to 40 dollar range. It would be a new formula...maybe something that would be mass produced in the future like a long lasting or "winter wax" or polish. Like Bunky stated, it could be called something like "Barry's Best", or "Barry's Limited". It would come in a custom box set with a special edition MF towel with a few samples of current products. It would be a great gift for Father's day, birthday, Christmas, ect. Keeping the price down to resonable range while still delivering the same quality would be ten fold better then some ritzy boutique wax IMHO.
                  For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Heres something I would like to have explained to me.

Put aside the price, packaging and company that manufactures/sells the product.

What does a "boutique wax" offer over a product like NXT 2.0, M26, M21, M20, etc. Keep in mind that both waxes were applied to a perfectly prepped finish and applied exactly as said to do so in the directions.

What would I see different?

Just interested to see what you guys say, not trying to bash anybody and please don't turn it into a bashing war.

Ryan
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post

Just interested to see what you guys say, not trying to bash anybody and please don't turn it into a bashing war.

Ryan
                      My belief is that the answer is "nothing".

I am far from an authority on the subject but I've tried at least 20 different LSPs in my time and I've NEVER seen anything that tops NXT 2. That doesn't necessarily mean that NXT blows away everything, in the looks department, I think when a surface is prepped correctly, there is not a whole lot of difference that an LSP makes.

Then, I read these wild claims of outlandish durability. Again, something I've NEVER seen.

So, my answer is the only real difference you see is price.
                      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
                        Heres something I would like to have explained to me.

Put aside the price, packaging and company that manufactures/sells the product.

What does a "boutique wax" offer over a product like NXT 2.0, M26, M21, M20, etc. Keep in mind that both waxes were applied to a perfectly prepped finish and applied exactly as said to do so in the directions.

Ryan, precisely to prevent a descent into product criticism and comparison, may I suggest that we might address some generalities. For example:

1) Does an LSP add anything to a well-prepped surface? Why might that be?

2) Is there a difference between the look bestowed by a synthetic sealant and the look bestowed by a carnauba wax?

3) Do specific waxes and sealants look better on some paint types and colors than on others?

I have found some of the most constructive discussion of these questions over at Detailing World. Take a look at these threads:

Science behind wax and sealants

Best Products for a Silver Car

New Car - Silver

The ongoing discussion in these threads between Dave McLean (Dave KG) and Rich Cooper (WX51 TSR), as well as the comments of Dom Colbeck (Dodo Factory), is particularly interesting. Dave is of the opinion that LSPs add very little to the look of a car, but Rich is convinced that they do. Rich has elaborated his reflections on waxes and sealants in this article:

How to Choose and Apply Wax or Sealant Protection

Also see his thoughts on matching waxes and sealants for specific paint types.

These questions are difficult to resolve, because of the high subjectivity factor. (How many of us could distinguish Budweiser from Miller in a blind taste test? Is there a difference? And more subjective yet, which one is better?) I am a romantic, so I want to believe that a wax and sealant does make a difference to the appearance of a car. It also makes sense to me that precisely because of the chemical differences between waxes and sealants that each wax and sealant brings something different to a car's appearance. But I acknowledge that many people do not see a significant difference between protectants. Ultimately, all one can do is to try out different products and see for oneself.

Cheers,
                        Al
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

My 2 cents.....when I finish doing a complete detail on a vehicle, and charge $185-$200, not one customer asks to see what kind of materials I use...they don't care...I have Meguiars banners in my garage so they obviously can see I'm a Meguiars shop...when they pick of the vehicle, it's always the same reaction

They can't believe how good the car looks...at the end of the day, that's all that matters...the kid that's charging $500-$600 for a full detail obviously is in a demographic that supports it...I'd go hungry.

It's why some wear Levis and others Hugo Boss..It's why some wear shirts with a horse (Polo) and others won't pay for that expensive emroidery...

There's a market for waxes that cost a fortune, I can't see Meguiars bothering with it though. Personally, I'd put my work and Meguiars products up against most people with higher priced "boutique" products.

Like I said, just my 2 cents.
                          Bill Poirier
                          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

In detailing, the protectant is the final step in the process. It is that extremely thin coating that protects your hard work. Yes, the protectant should be carefully chosen. But, some go to ridiculous lengths to find their favorite.

Personally, I can see a difference in protectants on certain vehicles. For example, NXT 2.0 will darken and increase the clarity of black paint. On other cars, the difference is hardly noticeable.

I think others care too much about protectants because they do not want to polish the paint. So, they go and try to find some product that is usually extremely expensive to fit their needs. The high end car dealer in the area only uses Zy*** on the cars. But why? Is it because he heard it was the best or did he take the time to compare them? In his case, the cars have tons of swirls and holograms despite the fact that he uses the expensive waxes.

If we were to compare protectants on looks, price, and availability who would win? At the $20 price point, it's pretty easy to figure out the winner, NXT 2.0. If you look at those who are furious about NXT 2.0, what else are they using? Most of the time it is something atleast double the price!

For me, Meguiar's making a boutique wax is kind of silly. It's like asking a company to purposely make a product that is expensive and hard to find. That being said, if Meguiar's would reintroduce M16 for $25 a tin, I'm sure there would be tons of buyers...

I purchased a few high end protectants during the summer. Some were nice, but others were worthless. It's so easy to want to buy an expensive wax, so I put a cap on the price of protectants I buy. If it's less than $20, it's okay. If it's more than that, forget it. There are plenty of good protectants for less than $20. Otherwise, I really don't worry about protectants that much. Polishes and pads are a much better investment.
                            Chris
                            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Back to the topic, if Meg's made a boutique wax, how would they sell it? They are not likely to get any OTC parts places to stock it and PBE would surely not stock it. I do not think Meg's has a channel to really sell it except direct. Do you sell other products direct without also offering them to the channel?

As we have seen, Meg's has made some nice products over the years but stopped selling them because they did not sell well (not because they were inadequate such as the brush line). It is just selling products that are good but selling enough to contribute to the business. In the end, it is a business.
                              Al
                              ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Either way, i dont see Meguiars making a botique wax. I dont know what Meguiars could offer that would be better than NXT 2.0, GC, or M26. And even a botique wax did come out the big question here at MOL would be "how does this boutique wax compare to NXT 2.0" or "which is better?" I just cant picture it happening.
                                Nick
                                Tucker's Detailing Services
                                815-954-0773
                                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');