• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Meguiar's Boutique Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Meguiar's Boutique Wax

I cannot edit my post but I wanted to reword the comment about the brush line. I was trying to say just because it is good (like brush line) does not mean it will be accepted by the channel or achieved great sales.
    Al
    ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

The allure of Meguiars' products includes the ease of availability, reasonable pricing, and wonderful results achieved with their extensive product portfolio. The boutique products are often difficult to acquire and difficult to explain/justify the cost to others that are not professionals or extreme detailing enthusiasts. Therefore, I would argue that I admire Meguiars' products MORE due to the LACK of a boutique product; especially given the outstanding "pound for pound" performance when compared to more expensive competing products. At this point, a boutique product by Meguiars' would be in conflict with the lessons learned here at this forum, as the preparation of the surface "reflects" the condition of the paint. Given the availability of both the consumer and professional lines, we as pros or weekend warriors can choose from the myriad of LSP options provided by Meguiars without the need to suffer additional expenditures associated with boutique-priced products.

With Meguiars' products, I get Champagne results for Coca-Cola prices. I love it.

Comment

Wow, this thread has really taken off! Over 2,000 Views.
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
          ...I just don't see the need for a higher priced, but similar performing product at this time...
          And I don't either. But that's just it. I don't think the original poster was asking for the same or similar product that is more expensive. He is suggesting Meg's make a better product. Everyone is getting caught up on "repackaging" existing wax or selling a $150 a tin wax or other ridiculous notions Meg's will never get involved in.

Here's an important point...yes, put NXT 2.0 next to any boutique wax on the same surface prep and 99% of people cannot see the difference. But these other waxes offer things NXT 2.0 does not, mainly a true wipe-on/wipe-off application and no staining of trim. That's what I want from the next Meg's wax!!

Give me NXT 3.5 or whatever that looks the same as 2.0 but is wipe-on/wipe-off and doesn't stain trim and I'll pay boutique wax pricing for it as it would now truly be the best on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
            Here's an important point...yes, put NXT 2.0 next to any boutique wax on the same surface prep and 99% of people cannot see the difference. But these other waxes offer things NXT 2.0 does not, mainly a true wipe-on/wipe-off application and no staining of trim. That's what I want from the next Meg's wax!!

Give me NXT 3.5 or whatever that looks the same as 2.0 but is wipe-on/wipe-off and doesn't stain trim and I'll pay boutique wax pricing for it as it would now truly be the best on the market.
            Exactly!
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

I like the "no staining" trim idea. That's a winner to be sure, although I'm not convinced about the WOWO idea.

I'd be willing to try WOWO, but my sense is that it would compromise durability too much to be worthwhile. While I don't mind waxing once a month, I wouldn't want to do it, every week.
              ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

The wipe-on/wipe-off application is something I have seen mainly in Carnauba-based waxes versus sealants so there is a built-in difference in durability. It is definitely not a once a week type of thing as the Pinnacle SSII that I top over the NXT 2.0 on my silver car lasts about a month down here in South Florida (notoriously hard on protectants). And it's just so nice to have as a feature. For example:

If it takes you 20 to 30 minutes to apply a layer of NXT to a car and another 15 to 30 to let dry (depending on temp, humidity, etc) plus wipedown and chasing all the little wiping marks on trim and mouldings so as not to stain them you can easily have an hour or more invested in wax application. If you use a true non-staining and wipe-on/wipe-off product that goes on and comes off wet immediately you can cut that time in half or more. Is that worth $250 over a bottle of NXT? All depends on your perspective. But those characteristics can be found in waxes costing $30 or $40 a jar (like Pinnacle SSII) so that makes the difference minimal for the gain.

Like Mike says, stick with a product that you enjoy using and looks good to you and continue to use it. But I think a lot of forum members are quick to focus on how the looks compare versus the sometimes vastly different application benefits and conveniences of these boutique waxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
                  Back to the topic, if Meg's made a boutique wax, how would they sell it? They are not likely to get any OTC parts places to stock it and PBE would surely not stock it. I do not think Meg's has a channel to really sell it except direct. Do you sell other products direct without also offering them to the channel?
                  It would be sold direct on their website and in the same fashion of thousands of their products are sold daily...on the internet! Places like Autogeek, Autopia, ADS, etc would offer the product just like they offer their other products. The sales avenue is there. Is the desire to produce it? That's the real question. More than likely, they'll continue to produce upgraded versions of existing waxes and that's good enough for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                    Either way, i dont see Meguiars making a botique wax. I dont know what Meguiars could offer that would be better than NXT 2.0, GC, or M26. And even a botique wax did come out the big question here at MOL would be "how does this boutique wax compare to NXT 2.0" or "which is better?" I just cant picture it happening.
                    To anybody that is disagrees with Al: Some of us pay more for the professional line than the consumer line because we feel that since they are not sold in stores and are more expensive they are better. Some say they are, some say they aren't. Everyone says M21 might be NXT repackaged, yet some buy M21 even though it is more expensive. So if we pay more for Professional line products than consumer line products, then why wouldnt anybody pay more for something like Barry's Best? They would. Because people would feel that since it is more expensive and even harder to find than professinal line products, then it must be better.

Comment

I believe more in surface prep.

NXT TW 2 is very good and affordable. Carnauba DC3 is good and very affordable. Gold Class is good and affordable.
                      I personaly think there is a lot of snobbery in a lot of expensive waxes. I think they are good,but are they better than affordable ones?
                      I can't comment on the newer autoglym high definition wax,as I havn't tried it. I've used paint renovator,followed by super resin polish,followed by extra gloss, in the past, and they are good products...again,on a well prepped surface.

I don't think there really is a need for Meguiar's to do this(Al's original question). To me that would just be jumping on the band wagon to compete with others in that price range.

If I find a tub of high definition wax(from a friend),I'll be quite happy to test it,side by side with NXT TW2 on a panel and see if there is $20 of a difference.Also,leave it outside for a couple of months with periodical washes and see how they last. I think I'd be splitting hairs,if I could tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');