• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our Department lost a K-9.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Department lost a K-9.....

Darko one of our K-9's and handled by Sgt. Persing of our Department lost his dog before New Years was 11 1/2 years old and a darn good dog to boot! His cause of death is unknown, he died at home.

If you see a cop with a K-9, they are pretty dedicated animals and will do anything their handler will ask them to do and a good partner in a hairy situation. If I was to patrol, I would want a dog for sure. The training involved is pretty intense and the partnership they endure is awesome. Dedicated animals. I love em.

Darko was a good partner for the Sarge and he will be missed.

Sgt. Persing is also our K-9 coordinator, oversees 3 other K-9 handlers (had 5 but one dog retired). Hard one to take.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: Our Department lost a K-9.....

Always hate hearing that.

I myself aspire to be a K-9 deputy in the near future, so I know the type of bond (sort of) that the officers and dogs have. Losing a dog is like losing a family member...

Comment

It's always sad to hear about the passing of an officer. 11 1/2 years is a loooong time though so at least he got to live a full life.

I had made it all the way through the SD County Sheriff's Dept. process for Corrections Dep. but failed the psych because of my age.

Comment

I got washed out my first try at the jail, I was 20 or 21, I came back and was hired at the ripe old age of 25. I'll have 15 years here in Feb.

Don't give up yet! It's a good job with great benefits! (3% @ 50 for one!)
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Sorry to hear about the passing of sarge's partner. K-9 dogs are great.

sdprius858 Never give up on a law enforcement career.It is a great profession and a job that is always rewarding. I often wish I was still able to go out and work. (Injured in the line of duty 17 years ago)
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

That's terrible.
            Sorry to hear the bad news.
            Sometimes people do not realize how much those dogs mean to the officers and how much they do for the community.
            In the city where I live we just got a K-9 2 years ago and he has helped out tremendously.
            Joel
            Firefighter/EMT-B
            Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
            "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
            '99 F-150

Comment

im sorry to hear about the passing of the K-9 dog. I really like dogs and i have two myself, i wouldnt know what i would do if something happened to them
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I've seen some TV programs,. they talk about K-9 units and the bond the handler and the dog have is really amazing!! When one goes away the other mourns deeply.

Comment

Those dogs are something else. A couple years ago where I live an 11 year old girl actually started a fundraiser to raise money for bulletproof vests our K-9s here. She was decorated by the Mayor and given an award for her efforts. She ended up raising more than enough for every K-9 on our force.
                  2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
                    I've seen some TV programs,. they talk about K-9 units and the bond the handler and the dog have is really amazing!! When one goes away the other mourns deeply.
                    I have seen them as well.

I'm very attached to my dog, I miss him when ever I'm out of town. He puts a smile on my face everyday, and I can only imagine the handlers pain.

Sorry for the loss bro.
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Sad news. Sorry to hear that.

I have a nephew who is currently in training with his German Shep (actually his second one, the first one unexplainably stopped working...) as a bomb sniffer for the county sheriff's dept. He's only had the dog since early Dec. Think he's something like 18 mo. old - not sure - but I'm already hearing that he's got quite the personality and is training up quite nicely.

I think sometimes we "civilians" see these animals working and maybe don't appreciate the bond that forms between them and their handlers; especially when you consider some of the situations and circumstances they and their handlers have had to work through together.
                      2013 Highlander - black
                      2010 TL - black

Comment

Animals are amazing, arent they?

Comment

Sad news indeed! Being a dog lover, I completely understand the bond between the two. Best wishes to everyone as I know how hard the loss of a loved animal can be.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');