• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Use PhotoShop Elements to Create Animated Avatars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Use PhotoShop Elements to Create Animated Avatars

How To Use PhotoShop Elements to Create Animated Avatars

Gang,

here is a tutorial how to make an animated avatar using Photoshop Elements. I currently have Elements 4.0 but the procedure should ring a bell in other versions as well as the full PhotoShop program. PS Elements can be found at most retail stores, my wife got mine at Costco for like 60-70 bucks and it's a great program if you like to work with photos.

Follow along and if something doesn't work, please let me know via PM and I'll send the correction to a Mod and it will be fixed.

I tend to do my tutorials (I do a lot for work) if you did not know anything about nothing. For dummies if you will

Let me know how you like it.

Photoshop Elements: Click the Edit and enhance photos button

This is what you get.

Open a new blank file:

Set the size of your avatar: The max for MeguiarsOnline.com is 160 X 220 and 6000 maximum kilobytes.

I leave the resolution alone (or haven't messed with the settings to see what it does yet anyway). I leave the background as white and use the fill as needed. And yeah, name your project.....

This is what you start with:

Some tools you will use. Text, Crop, Fill (like bucket in paint), and the color box. The color on top is the main color, the color below is a background color. I don't mess with the bottom color.....

When you click on color this is what you get:

My first layer will be text, click the text button and make a box, yada yada yada. The background will be white and you can fill it later if you like. Change the color of text, font etc. If you "right click" on the text box you can have other options to have warped text, fish shaped etc. Lots of options. Just remember the fancier the avatar, the larger the file.

I'm going to use a picture next, >File >Place, you know where your pictures are and select one. Each time you use the Place, it makes a new layer. Copy anything makes a new layer too. Using place to add photos places the photo within the size of your project !

See I chose 3 pictures and my text layer. Put the layers in order, the original layer will be first and you just drag and drop. If you notice from my earlier pictures that I deleted the "background" layer. You can delete layers easily by right click and delete.

If you notice the "eyeball" looking thing next to the layers. You can turn off individual layers to make sure they look alright then turn them back on. Leave one layer on at a time to make sure your work is okay. bummer to save it all and have something amiss!

Now the fun part, click >File >Save for Web:

Check the boxes indicated and do a run through manually and make changes in order of layers as needed or whatever(after hitting cancel of course), if you made changes, click file>save for web and come back here:

When you click okay, it will save as a .gif, name your file and save it where YOU WILL REMEMBER.....I forget a lot where I put stuff

Make sure your file is below the maximum size and upload your avatar in your USER CP (CP=Control Panel, making sure your logged on of course)

Ta da:

Happy Avataring

Aaron
    Last edited by Nappers; Mar 13, 2009, 12:21 PM.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: Photoshop Elements to make animated avatars

Sorry to burst your bubble. But you can just go to http://picasion.com/ and put your images in. Click submit and paste the URL into your Avatar.

Takes about 30 seconds.

Cool stuff though.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Great Write Up!!
      I'm sure this will help all of members out!!
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
        Sorry to burst your bubble. But you can just go to http://picasion.com/ and put your images in. Click submit and paste the URL into your Avatar.

Takes about 30 seconds.

Cool stuff though.

Ryan
        I think even I could handle this. lol Thanks, Guys.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post

Takes about 30 seconds.

Cool stuff though.

Ryan
          You didn't burst my bubble.

I was told about picasion but it gave limits and I was asked to make a tutorial with using PS Elements which is how I made mine.....

Comment

That flashing avatar is distracting!!
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

They can be.

I had one where I put flasher bursts on my cars using PS Elements and they alternated between cars and it was a little much so I didn't use it.

I was going to put subliminal messages in it so everyone sends me a dollar.

Comment

Great write up Aaron!

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                  They can be.

I had one where I put flasher bursts on my cars using PS Elements and they alternated between cars and it was a little much so I didn't use it.

I was going to put subliminal messages in it so everyone sends me a dollar.
                  If it works and they send you a dollar, Make me one.

Comment

I'll make one up and see what happens

Comment

Thank you Aaron for creating this.

I really like your current animated Avatar because it's like a little educational slide show in all your posts.

Nice work!

I have Photoshop Elements 2.0 as it came with my Rebel camera, when I get a chance I follow your tutorial and see if I can create something similar.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well I just tried Ryan's way at picasion.com. I told you it must be easy if I could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                          Well I just tried Ryan's way at picasion.com. I told you it must be easy if I could do it.
                          Theres another speed that isn't so fast...a little less flashy.

But looks good!

Ryan
                          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Re: How To Use PhotoShop Elements to Create Animated Avatars

I do like your website, but in the event the site goes down, so does your avatar..... Unless you saved it

I like using PS so you can position objects or do the text like I did.

Picasion is a good source though and easy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              I really like your current animated Avatar because it's like a little educational slide show in all your posts.
                              I thought of changing it up once in a while

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              I have Photoshop Elements 2.0 as it came with my Rebel camera, when I get a chance I follow your tutorial and see if I can create something similar.
                              Hopefully they are not too different and you can do the animated .gif's

It's been fun so far.

Elements is also great for photo editing for your digital pictures, I've messed the hair up on some co-workers here at the jail and they just love me

"DO NOT GIVE BELKNAP A DIGITAL PHOTO OF US!"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');