• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying Tech Wax 2.0 or M21 with a rotary buffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Tech Wax 2.0 or M21 with a rotary buffer?

Applying Tech Wax 2.0 or M21 with a rotary buffer?

i've beening waxing my passat by hand twice b4......with tech wax 2.0 , i'm a lazy guy and think its quite tired for me :P

so my question is can tech wax 2.0 applied with a rotary ? or i've to buy M20/M21 ?

I've read serveral posts here and mostly said tech wax is not suggested to use with rotary , but is there any downside effect if i apply it with my rotary ?

Re: Applying tech wax 2.0..

It's all about goals.

What's your goal? Do you want the nicest looking finish possible? Or do you want to do the work as fast as you can and how the results look are not as important as speed?

Production Detail Shops and Production Detailers are looking for speed, speed is the goal. When you're only getting bottom dollar to detail a car and this includes, washing, interior, exterior, glass, wheels and tires, you need to do the job as fast as you can to maximize any profits. So you don't want to spend hours on the paint, in fact you want to buff it out and get it waxed as fast as you can. It's not about creating a show car finish it's about taking what is likely neglected, dull paint and making it shiny again. Shiny doesn't mean swirl-free, it means shiny and swirls can be just as shiny as no swirls when it comes to the paint.

Applying wax with a rotary buffer will tend to leave your car's paint looking swirly, it's actually not a good practice. We make some of our waxes in the Professional Line because that's how the industry works, that is in Production Detail Shops, or Mobil Detailers that do production style work or at auctions, wax is often times applied using a rotary buffer because it's a way of cleaning the paint and making it shiny very quickly. The direct drive action of a rotary buffer provides lots of power which with just about any kind of pad and liquid substance when brought against paint is going to clean it up quickly, it's also going to have a smoothing effect which will make the paint glossy and shiny. If the liquid is a cleaner/wax which is typical for production work but they also use other waxes too, then a rotary is going to be very fast at cleaning, polishing and leaving protection behind. This is the system used by someone looking for a way to do the job as fast as possible i.e. production work.

Thus if the people in an industry are going to use a product like this as a manufacture you have to make the product so it will work this way even thought it's not the best way to apply the product.

So when we switch over to the enthusiast market, or even the Professional Detailers market, just because you can apply a product with a rotary buffer doesn't mean that's the best way to do it for your goals.

Most enthusiasts and Professional Detailers want to create the best looking finish with no swirls, so instead of using a rotary buffer, stick with either working by hand or get yourself a DA Polisher like our G220 or get what we call a Traditional Orbital Polisher aka a "Wax Spreader" and use one of these to speed up the process.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Applying tech wax 2.0..

If you haven't already, check out our Hot Topics forum, it's up to 4 pages with 30 threads on a page of popular topics people are most interested in at least on forums.

Here's one such thread for the Hot Topics forum. Click on the link and scroll down the page as it shows pictures of the different categories of polishers. You want to get a Dual Action Polisher or a Traditional Orbital Polisher.

Machine Photos - DA Polishers - Rotary Buffers - Traditional Orbital Buffers

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Applying Tech Wax 2.0 or M21 with a rotary buffer?

thanx mike ! i guess i should get a DA polisher since i juz want to spread the wax

Comment

Useing a rotary with a LSP is not a good idea. Years ago I used a rotary with the cleaner wax but I finished with a hand applied coat of cleaner wax. That worked very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A View Post
            Useing a rotary with a LSP is not a good idea. Years ago I used a rotary with the cleaner wax but I finished with a hand applied coat of cleaner wax. That worked very well.
            Many people, myself included have been applying M21 (LSP) via rotary with great success. Not only is it faster to apply the sealant but also produces an incredible gloss. I've also seen many people apply paste wax via rotary with great results. I guess it's all in the technique, condition of the paint, weather, etc. YMMV
            2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
            2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
            2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark

############################
            R-KIVE Studios :: Bringing Visions to Life

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');