• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What grit papers for wet sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grit papers for wet sanding

I am considering starting to do some wet sanding and I'd like to know what grit papers I should start with.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Re: What grit papers for wet sanding

Are you hand sanding or machine sanding?

What are you working on?
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

What are you working on?

Hand sanding.

Could be working on anything, I'll start with my own tuck as its always the test subject.
      Trying to get out scratches that machine polishing does not remove.

Just want to know what grits I should start out with.

Being a professional, I'd like to pick up the skill of wet sanding.
      Last edited by AeroCleanse; Jan 21, 2009, 06:47 PM. Reason: more info
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I haven't had that much experience but when I did some touch up on my car I realized having 1000, 2000 and 3000 is a good place to start. I just make sure I finish with 3000 to make it easier to remove the sanding marks afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
          I am considering starting to do some wet sanding and I'd like to know what grit papers I should start with.
          I'm gonna be experimenting on a test panel and ordered some 1500, 200, 2500 & 3000 sheets of Unigrit. ADS sells single sheets so you don't need to by a ton to experiment.

TL

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

What are you working on?

Hi Mike,

I'm going to be experimenting with a test panel. I'll be doing hand sanding and experimenting with both block and feathering, I'm wondering about the longevity of Unigrit... is it reusable if you play with a sheet for a while and want to reuse it later? Should you keep it wet for reuse later or can lightly used Unigrit be rewet after it dries? I suppose you know when it's shot when you no longer see any cut....

Thanks... TL

Comment

bump
              AeroCleanse, LLC
              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

A good selection would include,

Add #1000 and #3000 if your budget allows but in most cases #1500 and #2000 will knock down just about anything you're working on and finishing off with #2500 will make buffing your sanding marks out easier and faster.

Our Nikken brand Unigrit Finishing papers offer uniform particle size and uniform placement over the entire sheet of paper which helps to insure a more controlled sanding mark pattern. This makes buffing the sanding marks out easier and also helps to leave more paint on the car.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by TLMitchell View Post
                  I'm wondering about the longevity of Unigrit... is it reusable if you play with a sheet for a while and want to reuse it later?
                  Yes, just store it in your bucket for sanding papers.

If you want to get real AR you can dedicated specific buckets for specif grits of paper.

Should you keep it wet for reuse later or can lightly used Unigrit be re-wet after it dries?
                  You can re-wet it but most people just place the paper back into their sandpaper bucket. If you're sanding a lot you'll go through your paper and then change your water. If you're not sanding a lot then your bucket of water can get kind of skanky so you might want to rinse your papers off and clean your bucket out and then add fresh water and then store them in a clean area. You can let them dry out and the re-soak them next time you want to use them. Kind of up to you and how you want to do things.

I suppose you know when it's shot when you no longer see any cut....
                  Pretty much the best indicator. You can also feel when a paper is losing it's cutting power but you have to pay attention to how the cutting action feels when you start with a fresh piece.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');