• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What paint damage is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What paint damage is this?

This is a 2009 Mazda 6, black in color. The damage shown in thesepictures are on the deck lid and the right quarter sail panel. The damage is identical in both places....round to slightly oval in shape, and dug into and through the color coat into the primer. My dealer says its physical damage.....sorry for the picture quality.

deck lid...damage visible around refelction of camera

decl lid, damage visible in my forearm reflection

quarter sail panel, damage reflected in my forearm

quarter sail panel, damage reflected in my forearm

Re: What paint damage is this?

That looks like the imprint type paint chipping as a result of an egg being thrown at your car.

This type of damage is really hard to touch-up and make look good.

The easiest and least complex way to fix this would be to get a very fine tipped artist paint brush which can be purchased at any artist supply stores or crafts store for around $7.00 to $9.00 and then carefully only dab tiny amounts of touch-up paint into the largest of imprint chips and work your way down to the smallest ones you can touch-up without creating a glob of paint on the surface.

For the tiniest imprint chips a cheater's technique to make them harder to see is to use a black Sharpie marker to cover any chips you couldn't apply touch-up paint to; get a fine tipped pen. (Don't tell anyone I told you about this touch-up trick)

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Even though the title of this thread is talking about swirls the technique shared will also work for capturing anything on the surface.

How to capture pictures of swirls in your car's paint

For example, scratches, rock-chips, etchings, etc.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That is a great thread that Mike wrote.
        Welcome to Meguiars Online!!
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

I was going to say the same thing Mike did (looks like an egg) before I even saw his post. Sadly, I know this from first hand experience.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');