• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you dry your pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you dry your pads?

I was wondering how everyone else drys their pads on the various machines.
    I have the G110 and I normally clean the pad in the sink (no detergent unless really saturated) with warm water. Then I squezee it out. Then I go outside attach the pad to the G110 and slowly go up to 6. Next I slowly go down to 1. Normally by the it is pretty dry.
    Attach to Machine
    22.81%
    Air Dry
    55.56%
    Dry with a Towel
    12.28%
    Other
    9.36%
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Re: How do you dry your pads?

I kinda think my answer would be all of the above. After cleaning them I squeeze them out getting as much water as I can out of them. The I will attach them to the machine and spin them pressing a towel into the face of the pad, and then I wrap them with a towel and lay them perfectly flat to dry the rest of the way.

Andy M.
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I use all of the above
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Another for all the above
        Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

after i'm done using and wash the pads, i squeeze as much water out as possible, then hold the pad by the edge and swing out (hold it tight so it doesn't fly out of your hands LOL) as much water as possible and then lay it on the grit guard to dry...

Comment

I know this way is not recommended, But with the 8006, or the 9006 pads. After washing them, I would put them in the dryer on medium heat. After about 20 minutes take them out and let them air dry the rest of the way.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

After a scrubbing in the sink with a little Dawn, I spin them on my rotary on a low speed then max speed, then let them air dry.

I had my 7006 pad lose it's backing, and one 8006 pad get loose. Auto goop was used to fix the pads and good as new.
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Hey,

Just to chime in...as there seems to be some confusion in the way that pads could be dried...the following is just from my experience over the years....

Firstly, Meguiar's does not recommend washing the version #1 Soft Buff pads, but the new version #2 Soft Buff pads can be washed....

Years ago, many professionals would wash their wool pads and then dry them on the rotary polisher. Many of these wool pads, were 3M pads which were connected directly to the shaft of the rotary polisher via a specialized extender. Now Meguiar's has the W-5000 pads which uses the same style of connection. The benefit of said connection is that one now is able to spin the rotary at high rpm's to dry the wool pad.

Many professional detailers then adapted this procedure to the drying of foam pads. The original foam pads used a solid backing plate that was hard mounted to the foam pad. The connection was strong and detailers discovered that they could spin the foam on the rotary but at slower speeds. At higher speeds, I actually had one those saturated pads blow apart on me! In fact, it sounded like a gunshot as the pad just blew apart. Ooops! I was in a rush and used too high of speed, and the pad could not take the torque and the force of the rotational energy.

But when pads switched over to the popular and way more convenient Velcro attachment system, detailers began using this method of drying the foam and wool (Velcro type) pads, again with the rotary polisher. While this method will work at slower rpm's, the success is highly dependent upon how saturated the pads really are... A heavily saturated pad could start to loosen the Velcro or even fly off! Pro detailers became aware of the risk and if a pad was wrecked, they realized it was their responsibility. Just like washing version #1 Soft Buff pads. Though it was not recommended, I have always washed them but realized that if something went wrong to the Velcro I had no one to blame but myself as they were not designed for being washed.

Somewhere along the line, this piece of key information got skewed or misinterpreted and many people began using the Dual Action Polisher to dry the foam pads as well. The DA has a VERY different action to that of the direct drive rotary polisher. Hence there are several reasons why this is not a good idea:

1. The DA's oscillating action creates an enormous strain on the Velcro attachment. The action can easily cause the pad to fly off! Many people have posted on MOL and elsewhere how they had an UFO flying past them...the UFO being a foam pad! Meguiar's has always recommended to people to always start and stop the DA polisher with it's pad touching the vehicle's paint. This was to prevent splatter and to prevent the pads from flying off the backing plate.

2. As pads become saturated with product, the product will wick its way through to the Velcro on the pad and backing plate. Wet Velcro does not adhere as well, as the little hook and loops becomes saturated with product. As the pads become heavy with product, the connection is getting weaker, and again, when the pads are lifted off the paint with the DA turned on, and with the DA's strong oscillating action, the pads will often fly off...ruining a pad.

3. Over time, from the applying and removal of the pad from its Velcro, the Velcro becomes stretched and worn causing the connection to get weaker over time. At some point, the pad's Velcro and or backing plate's Velcro gets so worn that the pad has trouble staying attached with the DA even without the DA being turned on! I have had dozens and dozens of pads over the years that were so worn out from use that the Velcro just would not hold any longer! If one were to wash those pads and try and spin them dry with a DA with its strong oscillating action, the pads will certainly not stay on...

When I wash pads, I wash them carefully and then squeeze out as much water as possible by folding them like a taco. I do not twist them or wring them out as that will ruin connection of the Velcro from the foam. I then allow the pads to air dry over a few days. This is why so many people have so many dozens of pads as that way they always have enough pads to use while waiting for the others to dry...

With the new Soft Buff 2.0 pads however, I throw them into the washing machine, and then lightly dry them in the dryer, allowing them to air dry for final drying. When Meguiar's sent me pads for testing/review, I was amazed at how well the new pads responded to machine washing! I posted that review here:

I hope this helps!

Just IMHO!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks a lot Tim for all the information.
                  I will try to improve my techniques so I do not ruin the small amount of pads I have.
                  Joel
                  Firefighter/EMT-B
                  '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
                    Thanks a lot Tim for all the information.
                    I will try to improve my techniques so I do not ruin the small amount of pads I have.
                    Thanks Joel.

Unfortunately, I found out many of those things the hard way over the years.

I hope the information was helpful!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I ring mine out real good then press the pad against a folded towel to soak up any residual water. Afterwards, they are left face down on a towel so the water drains away from the backing.

Comment

I tried a new method for me and it works great.
                        I wash the pad and the wring it out.
                        Then I sandwich it in between a microfiber cloth.
                        I does not dry as fast as with the DA, but it drys in a good enough time for me 8-10 hours.
                        Joel
                        Firefighter/EMT-B
                        '99 F-150

Comment

Dry my pads? I don't even wash them. I've only been machine washing for one summer though, in case that matters.

After use I press them on a dry towel, store them in an open zip lock bag. Before use, one of the cleaning brushes from ADS is run across the face.

Looks like I need to start washing them.

Comment

I have washed all of my pads a number of times. I am well aware of the possible velcro backing failures that come from washing version 1 pads( as Tim has already pointed out). Knowing this I took great care not to impart undue stress from my washing/rinsing/drying technic. This is what I do. I wash my pads in a 5 gallon bucket with cold water/ dawn and if the pad has a lot of soaked in product I will and a bit of APC to the face of the pad and scrub the pad with my hands. Then I will dump out the nasty water and keep my hose in the bucket flowing water continueously even if the bucket overflows. I will continue to rinse until there is not visible product/soapy residue coming out of the pads. I will then ring out the pad by rolling it into itself(edge of pad folded into the velcro to form a tube shape) and give it a good squeeze in my hands. This will get about 80 to 85% of the water out. I then get my Makita rotary and attach the pad and since this machine has a slow start function it will slowly ramp up to the set speed. I use a speed of about 1500rpm and hold it away from myself. I will also tap the pad with my hand when the pad is spinning being very careful not to get a finger cought in the spinning pad as this could be a real painful problem(broken finger lol). This will get the remainder of the water out of the pad leaving the surface of the pad with a slightly moist condition. I will then put the pad on towels and let the pad air dry, then repackage in the Meg's bags they came in. I hope this helps you all out.

Andrew
                            2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Originally posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
                              Dry my pads? I don't even wash them. I've only been machine washing for one summer though, in case that matters.

After use I press them on a dry towel, store them in an open zip lock bag. Before use, one of the cleaning brushes from ADS is run across the face.

Looks like I need to start washing them.
                              Never mind the pads! love that set of wheels!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');