• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok pics of today's job but I have a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok pics of today's job but I have a couple of questions

well as I explained in my previous thread I recently started a very small detailing biz http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29997

I distributed a bunch of flyers for the 2nd time this saturday and this guy called me (my second customer this week), he was extremely happy with my work, even gave me a $10 tip and a cold beer . I did his wife's car, which had swirl marks and scratches, but he did not want to spend too much money this time so we agreed on a clay bar and paste wax. I also noticed how fast a woman can destroy an interior in so little time .
    The car still looks great for a daily driver, not show style finish though. The guy now wants me to detail his ram truck, probably in 1-2 weeks.

Once again I am not a pro and I have a couple of noob questions:
    (PLS keep in mind I am doing everything by hand)

1) I have the new Ultimate compound, I tried to use it today in a small spot just to see, and it did not work for me , I was using cheap pads from autozone though is that the problem? if it is what should I get? I will buy right away.

2) how are these products' performance under sunlight (swirl remover, ultimate compund etc). I know it's better under the shade but I am always forced to work outside with sun or not, should I proceed even with sunlight?

I am just trying to get ready for the next vehicle. I want to be able to remove light sctaches and swirl marks from his truck. It's in decent shape, just a couple of things here and there.
    3) Am I just doomed beacuse I am working by hand?
    here are some pics of today's job:

Last edited by Andy's Pro Detailing; Jan 25, 2009, 03:33 PM.
    2008 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4.7L V8

Re: ok pics of today's job but I have a couple of questions

Nice job on the car
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

If you're forced to work outside in the sun, you might want to look into invensting in a small portable canopy. I'm thinking the one's that are about 8'x8' that normally get used over a picnic table and fold up into a small portable package. Even if you had to move the vehicle once or twice to cover the section you're working on it would make it a lot better for the vehicle (and you)
      The car looks like it turned out pretty well, if you're going back to do the truck could you find out what kind of covers she has on the front seats? They look like a fitted neoprene of some kind...

Comment

Nice Work!!
        Looks Great!!
        Sweet Reflections!!
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Aportable canopy would be your best bet.

The car looks great. Good job doing it by hand.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

To remove swirls by hand is going to really take alot of work. Take some of your money & by a used PC or Cyclo Polisher. Read up on using the machines & then you be able to work fast with better results at half the time.
            Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by hot rod View Post
              To remove swirls by hand is going to really take alot of work. Take some of your money & by a used PC or Cyclo Polisher. Read up on using the machines & then you be able to work fast with better results at half the time.
              Hope this helps
              Plus it will be even easier with the introduction of:

Ultimate Compound
              Swirl X
              Scratch X 2.0

These new products in the consumer line really make things easier to remove swirls with a D.A

I have used ScratchX2.0 with very good results
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I am in the same boat. My garage is too small to do anything in so I am always trying to find a buddy that will let me use their garage. I just broke down this week and ordered a G110 and my parents bought me a canopy for Christmas so I am ready for the warm weather.
                White 1967 Pontiac GTO
                Black 2009 GMC Sierra SLT

Comment

Andy, here's a quick tip. If the customer's car does not have coated/treated brake rotors of some kind they will show surface rust badly when wet (as seen in your pictures). You can take every single speck of dirt and swirl mark out of a car and when the owner walks up 9 times out of 10 the rusty rotors will be the first thing they see...especially with today's open spoke style rims.

Easy way to remove this is just move the car back and forth a few feet with the brake pedal lightly applied. Just up or down the driveway once will remove the surface rust completely and it'll look 100 times better.

As for removing swirls over an entire car by hand...just not for me. As others have stated, buy a DA (used or new) for between $100 to $150 and one complete correction will more than pay for it. It expands your work opportunities, saves your back and body, cuts down on work time, and generates more business. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by wyseilmykkar View Post
                    The car looks like it turned out pretty well, if you're going back to do the truck could you find out what kind of covers she has on the front seats? They look like a fitted neoprene of some kind...
                    I think those might be PrecisionFit seat covers.

The cutouts for the side airbags are the giveaway

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');