• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard vs soft clear coat on 2007 Buick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard vs soft clear coat on 2007 Buick

I have a 2007 Buick CXL V8 with what Buick calls premium paint, named sharkskin. Would like to know if anyone has had any experience working with this paint/cc. I don't know if the cc is hard or soft and would appreciate any help in going the right way in detailing it. I will be using a PC dap. A newbie and look forward to gaining insight from the forum.

Re: Hard vs soft clear coat on 2007 Buick

Welcome to MOL Morven,

I moved this into Detailing 101 because this is a detailing question. The forum you posted in is intended for questions about how to use the forum itself.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by morven39 View Post
      I have a 2007 Buick CXL V8 with what Buick calls premium paint, named sharkskin. Would like to know if anyone has had any experience working with this paint/cc. I don't know if the cc is hard or soft and would appreciate any help in going the right way in detailing it. I will be using a PC dap. A newbie and look forward to gaining insight from the forum.
      Sometimes you cannot predict how hard or soft a paint is until you go out and start working on it. By doing some test spots and trying out some different products you can kind of get an idea of how hard or soft the paint is. I can remember a paticular incident where M80 did not do the job for me but M09 worked much better as the paint was very soft and i used the least aggressive product to get the job done.

I hope this helps, I am sure others with more knowledge in this paticular area will chime in
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

It's just a effects paint job that goes thought the paint booth twice feel free to use anything that you feel like .

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
          Sometimes you cannot predict how hard or soft a paint is until you go out and start working on it. By doing some test spots and trying out some different products you can kind of get an idea of how hard or soft the paint is.
          This is correct. You really won't know how easy or hard ANY paint on ANY car is until you go out into the garage and start working on the paint first hand. Even then it takes a little experience with removing defects out of multiple paint systems, (that means different cars), s that you have some experience to gauge how easy or difficult the current paint you're working
          is.

Regardless, Meguiar's teaches the philosophy of,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

By doing the above approach you leave the most amount of paint on the car.

Make sense?

• Are there swirls and scratches in the paint right now that you want to remove?
          • If so, do you currently have any kind of swirl and scratch removers?
          • If so what do you have?

Lets start there and we'll do our best to help you figure which products to use in which order to reach your car care goals.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The paint has some swirls but I have seen no scratches.

I have on hand:

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, Quick Detailer, Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Deep Crystal Car Wash, Chrome Wheel Cleaner, and Carnuba Wax.

Malco Nano Creme Polish and Malco Cherry Flash Liquid Paste Wax

Sonus Acrylic Spritz

PC 7424 with original white polishing pad
            Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish red pads
            UDM white polishing pad
            Sonus microfiber poshing bonnets
            Microfiber towels
            buckets
            grit guard

Probably other things that I can't think of at this time. Not much to choose from for foam pads near where I live.

So, what are your recommendations for order of attack?

Comment

Look around your local stores and see if you can find SwirlX and try that with a foam polishing pad then top with your favorite wax.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks. As soon as the weather cooperates I will get started.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');