• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drowning in information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drowning in information

I'm very new to the site and detailing, but love what I see. The amount of information is just mind blowing to me right now.

I recently purchased DC1, DC2, and NXT wax to use on my '93 Silverado before I move over to my daily driver (M6s). I also bought some clay, as I don't think the truck has ever been clayed.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should use to apply these products? And no, I don't have a PC, but may be in my near future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    '04 6s 5-door / '05 Acura MDX

two of the best things you can get is a pc and some megs uiltimate wipes. I know the pc cost some money but for the results and the time savings you can't go wrong. good luck.
    to get by for now I would use a foam applicator to apply those products.
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. The NXT came with a foam applicator, which I assume would be OK to use.

Would I use a MF to wipe off the wax?
      Last edited by superswamper; Sep 30, 2004, 09:43 AM.

Comment

that foam applicator is fine, but you need to have a dedicated pad for each product you are using as well as a dedicated mf for removal of each product. you don't want to strip off the polishing oil that you are applying by using a mf that has paint cleaner on it, as it would defeat the propose. hope this helps. alot of auto zones or wal marts in my area carry some sort of foam pads to get you by untill you do get a pc. (hint: start dropping hints to santa now !)
        Last edited by 2000; Sep 30, 2004, 11:50 AM.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

Re: Drowning in information

Originally posted by superswamper
          I'm very new to the site and detailing, but love what I see. The amount of information is just mind blowing to me right now.

I recently purchased DC1, DC2, and NXT wax to use on my '93 Silverado before I move over to my daily driver (M6s). I also bought some clay, as I don't think the truck has ever been clayed.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should use to apply these products? And no, I don't have a PC, but may be in my near future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
          Hi superswamper,

Typically, for clear coats you want to apply your products using either a soft foam applicator pad, or a soft applicator pad covered with cotton, or even a piece of terry cloth towel. I'll often times cut out a 6" by 4" piece from a high quality towel and if I fold it in half I'll have a piece that is 3" by 4" which is just about right for applying liquid products. Either way, foam pads or cotton toweling will work fine and most people have access to these two items.

For removing them, either use a quality microfiber polishing cloth or a soft, plush 100% cotton towel Turning your towel over frequently and shaking it frequently to remove any built up residue.

Remember, neither the paint cleaner or the polish need to dry after application, simply apply, work in well, and then remove. You only need to let the wax dry.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Shouldn't you say you are "swamped" in info?

Anyway, welcome to Meguiar's! When I first joined this forum in it's beginning it already had an increadible wealth of information. I felt the same as you, but just take things one at a time. As Mike and many other say "Find something (a product) you like, and use it often" -- not an exact quote but you get the idea. Everyone here has been really glad to help me with questions.

About claying, do you have any experience? If not, maybe I can help. First off, be sure to store your clay in an air-tight bag or something or that nature so it retains moisture and doesn't dry out. Clay after you wash your truck, before you begin polishing with DC-2 and waxing. I like to clay when the truck is still wet, working section by section and drying as I go. Just be sure not to drop the clay and to continually roll it around in you palm when one side gets dirty. The first time is always the most fun because you can clay by sound -- you can hear all that **** being pulled off the paint. Finally, be sure to give the truck a good rub-down with your hand to make sure everything feels smooth before waxing. Depending on it's condition, you may not need to use the DC-1 before polishing.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Slats
            -------------
            John 17:3
            -------------

Comment

Thanks for the information guys!

I'm going to try to work on the truck this weekend. This will be my first time claying, so I'm sure it'll be interesting to say the least.

Since this will be the first time, I probably won't be able to return the paint to show room condition, but it'll hopefully be much better than it is now.

I'll try to post some before and after pics. Thanks again.

P.S. Hey Slats, what's John 17:3?

Comment

Well I hope it all goes well. You'd be suprised what these products can do for your truck.

John 17:3 is one of my favorite Bible verses: "Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent" I am by no means the greatest Christian or anything, but I'll tell anyone that asks, that my relationship with Christ is by far the best part of my life.

Slats
                -------------
                John 17:3
                -------------

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');