• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound - Who's used it, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Compound - Who's used it, what do you think?

I used it as a spot application on the Jeep. Did a couple areas on the body. Then re-waxed them by hand. The UC worked great. I was to lazy to bring out the G110. End result, looks great. Very impressed with the ease of use, and how easy it was in removing the bird etching.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I haven't tried it via DA yet, but I was very happy with the hand results.

I used this to remove 3,000 grit wet sanding marks and it did so with ease in a single application. It also removed 100% of the swirls (2 applications by hand softbuf foam applicator) on a 9 month old car washed Pearl white Maxima in the test spot I did to show the customer. We were both a bit surprised and pleased with those results.

I'll report back once I give it a shot on my G110...

Comment

I just picked up a bottle of Ultimate Compound from Kragen. Needed it for a difficult Saturn with 148k miles and it had never been to a detailer. (Ever). The paint swirls were very deep and stubborn. Meguire's Fine Cut didn't budge the swirls.
        Tools:
        Milwaukee Direct Drive w/ Meguire's 5.5" base
        Lake Country Yellow pad 6"
        -------------------------------------
        This product bit through the first layer very smoothly. I got two passes and then the product stared to break down as it is supposed to do. Another 2 passes to smooth out the last bit of product, then a recheck with a quartz lamp.
        Very nice, it cleared the first level very well. This car required 3 total sets to bring it to a swirls free state, then my Cyclo dual orbital and Meguire's Ultra Finishing Polish to finish it off. (of course I waxed it with NXT too)
        Notice that I didn't need to use any other products in between.
        What I need to know is: Since this is a consumer product, what is the Professional version?

My best guess on the consumer level is that this is somewhere between a 7 and and 8 on that scale.
        But, it finishes extremely well.

Comment

I used it by hand on a couple of spots and was amazed how fast it worked. It evened glossed right up afterwards. Very happy with the results. You guys really knocked one out of the park with this product.

Comment

I just used Ultimate Compound on a 2007 Suzuki Forenza. The car had never been waxed and washed about 2 to 3 times a months by means of drive through car washes. Lots of swirls.

After a good wash I used Meguiar's clay bar. Then I used the Ultimate Compound by means of my just purchased G110. After 2 to 3 passes the swirls were gone. I left a very smooth and glossy finish. I think that it would have been ready for the NXT 2.0 but I also had a free sample of #205 so that was my next step. The #205 only made it slightly better not because of any fault of the #205 but because the Ultimate Compound did such a great job. The hood was the only part that I used Ultimate Compound, #205 and then NXT 2.0. The rest of the car was just Ultimate Compound followed by NXT 2.0 and you can hardly tell any difference.

Thank You for an excellent product and advice from this site.
            "What's the first rule when entering a man's car?"

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you."
            Transporter 2

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo Auto Detail View Post
              I just picked up a bottle of Ultimate Compound from Kragen. Needed it for a difficult Saturn with 148k miles and it had never been to a detailer. (Ever). The paint swirls were very deep and stubborn. Meguire's Fine Cut didn't budge the swirls.
              Tools:
              Milwaukee Direct Drive w/ Meguire's 5.5" base
              Lake Country Yellow pad 6"
              -------------------------------------
              This product bit through the first layer very smoothly. I got two passes and then the product stared to break down as it is supposed to do. Another 2 passes to smooth out the last bit of product, then a recheck with a quartz lamp.
              Very nice, it cleared the first level very well. This car required 3 total sets to bring it to a swirls free state, then my Cyclo dual orbital and Meguire's Ultra Finishing Polish to finish it off. (of course I waxed it with NXT too)
              Notice that I didn't need to use any other products in between.
              What I need to know is: Since this is a consumer product, what is the Professional version?

My best guess on the consumer level is that this is somewhere between a 7 and and 8 on that scale.
              But, it finishes extremely well.
              Is that buffer a rotary? I'm guessing so from the name. If so, Ultimate Compound is not recommended for use by that type of buffer. to answer your question, though, M105 is the heavy hitting compound in the professional line. It has a significant amount of additional cutting power over UC. It CAN be used by rotary.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Comment

I just tried UC for the first time on a section of a panel with a foam applicator on one of the black cars in my family- I was very impressed at how fast knocked out the swirls and how clear the finish came out. I have a DA machine, but was thinking for how fast and well this product worked by hand with a foam applicator pad, it just may hurt the sales of new DA polishers!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioCarBuff View Post
                  I just tried UC for the first time on a section of a panel with a foam applicator on one of the black cars in my family- I was very impressed at how fast knocked out the swirls and how clear the finish came out. I have a DA machine, but was thinking for how fast and well this product worked by hand with a foam applicator pad, it just may hurt the sales of new DA polishers!
                  If it is that effective by hand, think how well it would work with a DA!

Comment

M105 will blow you away too. It's my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                      If it is that effective by hand, think how well it would work with a DA!
                      I bet it's performance will be top notch with a DA! I do plan on using it for full details in about a month cuz the weather is still too cold here in Ohio. Even if you have a DA I think UC is an indispensable tool because most cars have their nook and cranny areas that you need to get by hand

Comment

I just tried UC for the first time last Thursday and I must say, AWESOME! I just can't wait to get my hands on some M105 DA approved.

Here is the link to the Porsch I used it on if you haven't seen the post.

Comment

I picked up a bottle last night for around $8. I have probably $150 worth of different polishes that I have picked up over the past 2 years. I have a black G35 with a repainted hood. Over the winter, I picked up some nice, long, shallow scratches in the hood, likely from improper cleaning technique. I really don't worry about it too much in the winter, since I polish every spring anyway.

I used the PC with a Meg's yellow pad and UC. I put about a quarter sized bit on the pad and spread it over a 1.5' x1.5' section. (I used less on subsequent applications). I started my first pass with enough pressure to allow only slow rotation of the pad. I did two passes in that fashion. Then I lightened up and moved the pad a little faster for 2-3 passes. By pass, I mean movement over the work area, not applications of product. I then (easily) wiped away the polish and was very pleasantly surprised to see that the marring was gone and the underlying paint was LSP ready.

I have used #80, #83, Menzerna FPII and IP, 3M products, etc. I must say, UC is, so far, the best of all of them. Unlike 80 and 83, you don't have to try to guess when the product is ready to remove. I cannot tell you how many times I have been frustrated when 80 and/or 83 either gummed up or refused to be easily removed from the paint. Both could get finnicky. Both do a good job, but UC is a breath of fresh air. Just stop when you want and it easily wipes off, like a dream. It did the job with ONE application, not 1-2 of #80 or #83.

I have not used it on the rest of my car due to time constraints, but I will be using it. It will cut down on my polishing time considerably. Oh, another benefit: If you decide that you want to do a second application, just leave the old stuff on and go right over it with the new application. Try doing that with the old stuff without bogging down. For ease of use, price, and results, UC is absolutely the best out there.

Oh, one other thing. I was in a hurry and not paying attention and let the power cord come between me and the fender. (Don't let it happen to you). I had just put everything away when I noticed the marring. I decided to put a dab of UC on a white 4 inch pad I had laying around and rubbed it over the marring. I rubbed for less than 20 seconds and checked out the area which was about 3" high and about 2 feet wide.. I am not kidding when I tell you that the marring from the cord and any other marring that was in the area was absolutely gone. I believe the bottle says to keep it handy for spot polishing. I know I will

If I obtain different results on the rest of my car, I will gladly report and provide details. Otherwise, I give UC a huge

Comment

I picked up a bottle of Ultimate Compound the other day and last night my buddy came over with his 96 Tacoma with a much neglected finish that I wanted to give it a try on. After a good wash we pulled the truck in to the garage and clayed the hood. Having never clayed before my buddy was blown away by just how good the claying itself left the finish. If he thought that was good, he would really be impressed after the polishing step.

So after the claying was done, I put a strip of tape down the center of the hood and then used my G100 with the yellow polishing pad and the Ultimate Compound. I made two separate passes over roughly an 18” square area using moderate pressure with the pad slowly rotating and then made another 2 passes over the same area with light pressure and then wiped the compound off. I looked the finish over and could see quite a difference, but I wanted to try one more application with the same technique. After the second application I removed the compound and then removed the tape and compared the 2 sides. It was vastly improved. There was easily 50% or more of the swirls and scratches removed, which was saying something considering how scratched and swirled the finish on his hood was. The truck had never been polished before and has probably not seen any wax in about 3 years or more. So after two applications I left it at that and continued on with the rest of the hood because the goal was not to create a swirl free finish, but a much improved finish. After completing the hood and liking the results we continued on with the rest of the truck and then topped everything off with NXT 2.0.

Overall I was really impressed with how fast the Ultimate Compound removed defects and just how clear and shiny it left the finish. I also liked how easy the compound was to remove from the surface.

In the end my buddy was totally shocked at how good his truck now looked. He could not believe it. He had basically given up years ago on keeping his truck looking nice, thinking it was a lost cause. It’s still no show truck, but it is vastly improved.
                            Brian

Comment

I am detailing my car panel by panel, so last night I did the rear 1/4 panel on the passenger side. I have to detail a few cars in the near future, so I was trying to perfect the technique and minimize the time spent per application. Under halogen and UV lighting, the swirls were pretty bad. After the 4 passes, two heavy and two light, the paint was swirl free. I still had some RIDs but since this is a daily driver, I am not going to remove more clear than necessary and will leave them. The 1/4 panel was original paint and harder than the hood which was repainted. With about 2 minutes per area, I must say that UC is much quicker than previous polishes. The finish was very clear and beautiful when I was finished with no micromarring or hazing.

I really cannot express how great this stuff is working for me. I just love that there is no guess-work as to how long I have to work it. Just stop when you want. So easy. I have to detail a black 1988 911 Turbo this Saturday. I'll report on how it worked.

Comment

I think it's a pretty cool product. Used it for the first time tonight and was amazed. Not sure if it's cuz I am a newb, but it got rid of alot of all the deep swirls without hazing. My paint was ready for wax after the use of UC.
                                Newb!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');