• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound - Who's used it, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Compound - Who's used it, what do you think?

i just started using this product yesterday..it looks great but on one of my side panels it got really hazy and just is not pretty to look at...i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or what i might be able to do to fix this or if it is even fixable with out a new paint??

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
      While many other Meg's polishes strictly prohibit being used on hot surfaces, working Ultimate Compound on a cool surface is only a recommendation.
      yup. I only work in cover place.

Comment

So far, after my initial application, I am not that impressed with it.

I'll give it another go one day though.
        r. b.

Comment

I tried it over the weekend on the new whip...

The paint looks great from about 5 feet, but up close, had a lot of scratches in the clear. Got the DA out & after claying, I started with M80 (Speed Glaze) on a buffing pad... which didn't touch it. After that, I switched to M83 (DACP) on a buffing pad. Better, but still not there. Then switched to UC on a buffing pad. Worked better, but still took 3-4 applications. The car had previously been Zaino'd... not sure if that affected the results or not. I assumed that claying would remove all traces of the Zaino. Now, I could have continued over the entire car, but stopped at the hood, as it was taking too long. I didn't want to have to do 3-5 passes on every section of every panel. Thought about switching to a cutting pad, but was worried about hazing. Applied a coat of NXT the next morning to hold me til I get a good wool pad (and a spur) for the rotary to try the "wonder twins" 105/205 combo.

Made another interesting discovery... clay DOES break down over time. Started with a piece I'd kept in a ZipLoc bag... was about a year old, but still pliable. On application, it smeared clay all over the hood. Luckily, it wiped off without too much trouble. Cut open a new bar (used 1/2 of a bar actually)... problem solved.

Ultimate Compound worked good, but I think I'll need more cut to get the level of correction I'm looking for. Surprised me tho... I thought that Ford's Torch Red would be relatively soft... and found it to be surprisingly HARD. Can never be sure til you try... which is why I follow Mike's advice to start with the least aggressive product first.
          R. Smith
          Santa Clarita, CA

Comment

Its awesome. And smells like spicy cinammon =P

Comment

Originally posted by Slick View Post
              Made another interesting discovery... clay DOES break down over time. Started with a piece I'd kept in a ZipLoc bag... was about a year old, but still pliable. On application, it smeared clay all over the hood. Luckily, it wiped off without too much trouble. Cut open a new bar (used 1/2 of a bar actually)... problem solved.
              In the heat in SoCal here, I like to store my clay in the refrigerator, until about 5 or 10 minutes before I'm ready to go at it. Seems to make it a little firmer and work a little better.

Comment

Im a newb here and appreciate all the reviews I just read through. Im going to try UC on my wifes neglected Kia today. I"ll put some pics up when Im done.
                Guess its time ot get to work

Comment

This is wht make me bow to Meguiar's.. haha... totally with elbow grease.. no machine invovled here.. i was like 'wow' after the outcome..

Comment

I used it once on my Vue and it worked really nicely. Took out a lot of the swirls and light to moderate scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by sanddrag View Post
                      ... I like to store my clay in the refrigerator, until about 5 or 10 minutes before I'm ready to go at it.
                      It doesn't dry it out?

Comment

i dont have a DA

but I have a
                        bosch orbital and a Rotary

I tried Ultimate compound on both. Both instances using W8006 pad.

My intention wasnt to remove defects but to clean up the paint nicely and get smooth as glass.

orbital: worked longer, but the bosch wouldnt handle any pressure if I pushed down and will just stop

rotary: shorter time but managable. I used a very very low speed setting (600 rpms) and again, cleaned up the paint nicely. didnt put much pressure at all.

wiped it up with M135 thoroughly and already the paint was really smooth.

topped it off with NXT 2.0

I'm lovin it!
                        -"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Comment

Yeah this has been out for almost a year, but I have to say that ultimate compound has done wonders on the cars that I have done. From my father inlaws farm truck, to a friends car that had not been touched since it was bought new back in '94. I was able to get about 75% correction by hand, which to me was amazing! Have a new rotary on my christmas list. Topping it off with gold class wax they all looked amazing. As a mater of fact, my father in law was so pleased with the work I had done on his car, he drove it to the nearest town 10 miles an hour under the speed limit. Just because he did not want it to get bugs on it!
                          Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

I skimmed this thread, but didn't see which pad (for the DA) is recommended with UC. The red "cutting" pad or yellow "polishing" pad?

Comment

Originally posted by davisinla View Post
                              I skimmed this thread, but didn't see which pad (for the DA) is recommended with UC. The red "cutting" pad or yellow "polishing" pad?
                              Certainly the yellow one. The red cutting pad isn't actually recommended by Meguiar's to be used with the DA.

Comment

i did used it after doing the right rear panel of my black mpv, after using swirl x just to make sure i t remove anythingthat was left behind .and i must say it took out some scratches i was impressed!, and i worked it with a pc.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');