• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Dish Washing Soap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Dish Washing Soap...

I've read many times especially on other forums that Dawn dishwashing detergent is used to remove the wax before the paint is polished and re-waxed. I even read that if the wax isn't removed there will be somewhat of a hydroplane effect so polishing won't be as effective. The last time I used a dish washing detergent to wash a car I think it was like 23 years ago. Of course I didn't wax the car after and in time the dark blue paint became dull and chalky.

9 out of 10 times I will clay the paint prior to polishing/waxing. I understand that claying removes the pre-existing layer of wax right? When the paint is polished/compounded/cleaned doesn't the micro abrasives from that remove the layer of wax? I mean it is removing a fine layer of clear coat isn't it? That's how the fine scratches are removed right? By using DWD is it to see the true condition of the paint? (thinking outloud)

Not that I've heard of or seen as a direct result but I would imagine that something as strong as dish washing detergent would dry out plastics and rubber mouldings. Might this be true or am I being overly cautious or paranoid?

Does anyone here use a dish washing detergent and if so why? I guess I'm trying to understand a bit more why this is.
    Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
    www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
    Facebook www.detailing.com

Re: Using Dish Washing Soap...

Originally posted by Hemin8r View Post
    I've read many times especially on other forums that Dawn dishwashing detergent is used to remove the wax before the paint is polished and re-waxed. I even read that if the wax isn't removed there will be somewhat of a hydroplane effect so polishing won't be as effective. The last time I used a dish washing detergent to wash a car I think it was like 23 years ago. Of course I didn't wax the car after and in time the dark blue paint became dull and chalky.

9 out of 10 times I will clay the paint prior to polishing/waxing. I understand that claying removes the pre-existing layer of wax right? When the paint is polished/compounded/cleaned doesn't the micro abrasives from that remove the layer of wax? I mean it is removing a fine layer of clear coat isn't it? That's how the fine scratches are removed right? By using DWD is it to see the true condition of the paint? (thinking outloud)

Not that I've heard of or seen as a direct result but I would imagine that something as strong as dish washing detergent would dry out plastics and rubber mouldings. Might this be true or am I being overly cautious or paranoid?

Does anyone here use a dish washing detergent and if so why? I guess I'm trying to understand a bit more why this is.
    Dish washing soap just dulls everything it touches on a car.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Yes it Strips Wax, but so does claying, sure it is an extra step.
      But over time it can dry out the paint.
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Hemin8r View Post
        I even read that if the wax isn't removed there will be somewhat of a hydroplane effect so polishing won't be as effective.
        I've read these comments too but never seen any proof to substantiate their opinion.

I don't buy it myself and anything you're applying to the paint that's strong enough to remove paint is going to obliterate any micron thin layer of a product poured out of a bottle or scooped out of a can and applied to the paint.

Where's that grain of salt?

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just to note, detergent soaps clean great, that's the problem, they are overkill for what you're trying to accomplish.

Meguiar's car washes are non-detergent and pH balanced. They clean well without being overkill or harsh on the entire car.

Let every person choose what they believe is best for them and their car, as for me and my car I'll stick to soap made specifically for washing cars with a company with a reputation and history of premium quality paint care products.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I use Dawn when I wash. I even wipe the car down with IPA before polishing too! You know, just in case the Dawn and clay didn't remove ever single last trace of wax, grease, or oils.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

The only time I use dish soap is the first time a touch a car I have never detailed before. I have no idea what is on the car so I like give it a thorough cleaning with a product with quite a bid to punch before I clay. It may be in my head but it just seems like claying is more effective when I do so. Washing with APC or degreaser mixed with the car wash provides similar results.

A non abrasive paint cleaner should strip all the old garbage off the paint also but I generally use non abrasive paint cleaners after claying rather than before. Sometimes when I polish, it seems like the polishing goes easier with bare paint due to using a dish soap, APC or degreaser than if I used a non abrasive paint cleaner. That may be all in my head also.

Comment

The only time I use dish soap is after dinner in the kitchen. Sorry i had to do it!

In all honesty, some detailers and enthusiast do use it and some are really against it. It comes down to what you think is best for you. Me, like Mike, I'll stick with Megs soaps.

Andy M.
                Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Anyone tried Dawn with a foam cannon set on high?

Me thinks its gonna be 2" snow and last for hours...
                  Learning new things everyday

Comment

I use kerosene myself ...

I set the car afire and I make sure all the wax is gone.

Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                      I use Dawn when I wash. I even wipe the car down with IPA before polishing too! You know, just in case the Dawn and clay didn't remove ever single last trace of wax, grease, or oils.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
                      Pfff... amateur! Here is my process (and I'm a real pro - best detailer on my street to).

1. Wash with a combination of Dawn and Palmolive because Palmolive is soft on my hands.

2. IPA wipedown.

3. Wash with Dawn.

4. Prepall wipedown

5. Wash with Palmolive (remember - soft hands).

6. Strip it Dry.

7. One last wash with Dawn.

8. Clay.

9. Wash

10. Now the car is ready to be polished.

Here is my IS350 when I'm done.

----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Don't want to go as far a 3Fitty did, but I have a question.

With the amount of salt used on the roads up here, getting your car undercoated with an oil spray is a must. I have had 2 cars literally rust out from under me, and neither were undercoated, while the coated ones lasted very well. The problem with doing this is over spray. It gets everywhere and is pretty thick stuff.

Any recommendations on getting this stuff off? They say it removes with dish soap, but I'd rather not do that to my car if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Jamie

Comment

You could try to clay the paint and see if it comes off.
                          Try regular mild clay and if it still does not come off, try a few more times, and if still does not come off, go to aggressive clay.
                          Joel
                          Firefighter/EMT-B
                          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                          '99 F-150

Comment

Sounds good, thanks!
                            Once we actually get spring up here, I'll try that first.
                            I got it sprayed in November and haven't been able to do much to it, and it's been painful seeing it in this state....Next time I'll do it earlier in the season so I can do a proper detail before winter hits...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                              Dish washing soap just dulls everything it touches on a car.
                              My Dad has a 2000 silver Buick and has only ever used whatever dish soap Mom had under the sink. It still shines like crazy. Maybe waxed once or twice in 9 years. Mine you he doesn't drive much, and the car never sits out in the sun. He is amazed and somewhat amused at the way I take care of my car.
                              D

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');