• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Oxidation? or Did i ruin my clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Oxidation? or Did i ruin my clear coat?

Hello everyone. This is my first post so bare with me. I'm new to car detailing and have only waxed my car once in my many years of owning a car. That experience alone stopped me from any further detailing activities to my newer cars since it didnt turn out so well.

The car I detailed was a 1991 Honda Accord LX. I cant even remember the year I tried waxing, but i jumped right into it and used a product by Meguiars called "Cleaner Wax" which came in a tub. It tried it and I'm not sure if i damaged the paint. The hood still looks very shiny, but the roof, and the two rear door look cloudy and doesn't really give a nice reflection anymore.

Below are some pictures. Did i do damage to the paint/clear coat or is this just oxidization? Is this salvageable? How do i go about restoring the finish to my car? thanks.

Re: Is this Oxidation? or Did i ruin my clear coat?

That looks to just be oxidation.

Do you know if some of the car or panels were repainted at some point in their lifetime? Kind of weird for some panels to fade and not others.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

the rear drivers side of the car except the drivers door looks like it is fairly oxidized
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

To my Eyes it looks like oxidation.
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

It appears that several panels have been repainted. You can't hurt much of anything with the Cleaner/Wax.

Tom

Comment

So you cleaner/waxed the car several years ago, and now this is showing up?
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
              Do you know if some of the car or panels were repainted at some point in their lifetime? Kind of weird for some panels to fade and not others.
              Only the left fender has been repainted. Everything else is original paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                So you cleaner/waxed the car several years ago, and now this is showing up?
                I'm not saying this just happened. It just the first time I'm trying to remedy it. I used that cleaner wax on the whole car and it is weird how the back end and top of the car has oxidized.

Comment

Well now that we have determined it is oxidation, what's the best way to go about it?

I will be doing everything by hand only so can I just use the wash->colorx->NXT2 method?

Or do I have to clay it before colorX?

thanks for the responses.

Comment

if I were you I'd get some terry cloths and give it good rubbing with the new ultimate compound, then follow up with the new swirl-x with a foam applicator pad to refine the shine and top with a good wax like NXT

Comment

Originally posted by clickclack123 View Post
                      I will be doing everything by hand only so can I just use the wash->colorx->NXT2 method?

Or do I have to clay it before colorX?
                      You should clay especially if you dont want to instill scratches.

Comment

I would certainly clay after washing.

The ColorX is stronger than the cleaner/wax you used, which can help. Although as mentioned, you may need a stronger product like the Ultimate Compound.

But it would still be good to have ColorX on your shelf if you intend to detail the car more frequently now.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                        Step 1 Wash
                        Step 2 Clean
                        Step 3 Polish
                        Step 4 Protect
                        Step 5 Maintain

Here are some general care links:

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style

Here some links for how to work in a product to remove swirls/scratches/oxidation:

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches

And here is one for ColorX:

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Comment

Claying and Ultimate Compound belong in the same step right (step 2: clean)?

If so which method is more "idiot proof" (no disrespect intended, its just that im a newbie)

so for each step what product do you recommend? (I know we are in the Meguiars forum, but if you use other brands please state them)

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                          Step 1 Wash: ?
                          Step 2 Clean: ?
                          Step 3 Polish: ?
                          Step 4 Protect: ?
                          Step 5 Maintain: ?

Comment

"Claying" and a "Paint Cleaner" are both in the cleaning step (step 2), but they both do different things, so you would want to do both. Claying is easy, and the Ultimate Compound just needs worked into the paint with a foam applicator pad. Then buffed off. Neither is really that bad.

Meguiars products would easily cover all the steps... my choices would be:

1. Wash - Gold Class or Nxt Wash, 2 buckets, good quality towels ,etc.

2. Clean - Clay with the Smooth Surface Clay kit, then use the Ultimate Compound. A milder cleaner or cleaner/wax could be used in the future then.

3. Polish - Deep Crystal System Polish is a good easy choice.

4. Wax - 2 thin coats of Nxt 2.0 is about the best you can do.

5. Maintain - I would use the Ultimate Quick Detailer or the Ultimate Quick Wax after future washes.

Comment

Your car is 18 years old and apparently has not been waxed all that much. I suggest that you go to a good detail shop or body shop and ask for an opinion or two from the "pros". I think that some sections of you car have faded -- for whatever reason. It doesn't look like oxidation to me. Your car may not even be clearcoated. It may have a single stage paint.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');