• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porsche Black 1986 911 hand worked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Black 1986 911 hand worked

I posted this in the "working by hand" forum before I found this forum about showing off. I've added a few more photos.

I've learned a lot from this site and wanted to share a few photos. Car is a 1986 911. To get to this point took two weekends. Sorry I do not have any "before" photos. I had years worth of swirl marks all over the car and had some holograms on the door panels that I had never been able to remove.

This was the first time I tried using clay. (I had been too chicken in the past) I was careful to use lots of lubricant and it worked just as advertised leaving the paint incredibly smooth.

I first tried ScratchX and it worked well but many swirls and the holograms were still visible and the car still needed a second polish. I bought the new SwirlX and went over the entire car (of course after testing on a small section first) and was thrilled with the results.

It's not quite perfect but most of my swirls are gone. For a daily driver (137,785 miles) I think it looks pretty good.

Products used:

Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
    Clay bar
    Meguiar's Swirl X (micro fiber application pad)
    Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7 (micro fiber application pad)
    P21S Carnauba wax
    Mequiar's Quick Detailing Spray

This little pad holder was very helpful. It greatly reduces hand fatigue and help minimize finger pressure points.

Last edited by Jeff U; Feb 17, 2009, 05:37 PM.

Re: Porsche Black 1986 911 hand worked

nice work, car looks great
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Beautiful car! M07 is a fantastic product, looks really good on dark colors.

I've been looking at the microfiber pad holders myself. Anyone else use(d) them and care to chime in with your input?
      NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Awesome job!!
        Great results achieved by hand

Comment

I have yet to put that much work in by hand on a vehicle. Very impressive work, beautiful car.

Peace

Comment

Very nice!
            How long did it take you? I plan on going over the wifeys black Focus that is currently caked in road salt, PURE NASTINESS! I have no power tools so I'm hoping to be able to finish it within a day.
            For doing everything by hand your results are fantastic!
            I have one of those pad grippers, they are nice aren't they?
            For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Looks awesome for a daily driver.

Comment

Nice job! Esp. for a daily driver done by hand. My arm aches just looking at it!
                Rob A.
                '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
                '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Originally posted by Underdawg736 View Post
                  Very nice!
                  How long did it take you? I plan on going over the wifeys black Focus that is currently caked in road salt, PURE NASTINESS! I have no power tools so I'm hoping to be able to finish it within a day.
                  For doing everything by hand your results are fantastic!
                  I have one of those pad grippers, they are nice aren't they?
                  It took about 12 hours.

One Saturday I did the whole car (wash, clay, polish w/ Scratch X, glaze, & wax) in about 6 hours but in the end was not satisfied. The following weekend I worked both Saturday & Sunday for about 2 - 3 hours each. (wash, polish w/ swirl X, glaze, & wax)

Had I used Swirl X first I could have saved time since doing it over meant a second coat of #7 glaze and second coat of wax.

Pad gripper works very well. I don't think my hand would have lasted without it. I got it at Advanced Auto Parts, it came with two micro fiber pads.

Comment

Nice job. Impressive results by hand.
                    Nice reflections.

Comment

nice car, looks fantastic. And same age as me!

Comment

Excellent work and lovely car. I also rate SwirlX highly, it's now my go to product for swirl removal by hand.

Comment

Great Job, I love those little hand holders when I work by hand.
                          Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');