• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC + 83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After...

04 545i BMW
    94 & 95 Lightnings

Comment

Way to go Joe!

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike--THANKS FOR SENDING ME THE HARD ONES!!!

Actually I love a challange and this vehicle was a challange indeed.

I found the lightning to have very little shine and allot of what appeared to be swirl marks.

I spoke witht he owner Tim ( great guy and fellow gear-head) that I was going to "attack" with a wool pad and diamond cut, the most aggersive combo I havein my arsenal.

Then Tim told me, "Mike warned me that you were going to wool pad it." I smiled and said- THATS RIGHT! Heck what do you expect from a former Marine.

Here is a pic of an over head light reflecting (as much as could be reflected from this finish)off the hood.

Last edited by Superior Shine; Nov 4, 2004, 05:48 PM.
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

After "GRINDING" on the finish for awhile, I noticed that something wasn't right. The "swirls" were reduced but not coming out completely. I then broke out my mini-microscope and discovered millions of tiny deep cracks in the paint.

I color sanded a portion of the finish with Megs 1000 grit sand paper and buff the area out. The cracks were still visible.

How the cracks got there I am not sure. It is a 10 year old finish (I think it is 10 years old). There wasn't any evidence that it was ever polished or waxed.

I was able to remove the dullness and bring out a nice shine though, so I proceeded with the "transformation".
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Here is the result of over 8 hours of polishing. The term coined by Mr. Phillips, "Maximum Potential" applies here. The finish isn't perfect but it is super nice original paint now.

Here is a pic of that reflection of that over head light again but this time it is reflecting off the freshly polished paint.

Comment

I spoke to Tim today ( it has been 3 days after the polish job) and he is very happy with his "new" truck.

Comment

Hi Joe,

To go from this,

Horrendous Swirls

To this,

Maximum Potential

It truly a testimony to your skill and ability. You have mastered the Art of Polishing Paint as proven time and time again with your work displayed here in your photos and write-ups and that I have seen in person.

You have earned the coveted 5 bows...

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike ( you check is in the mail )

Comment

hey,

what pads and compound did you go with?

i'd assume compound power cleaner, but let me know. my friends 240sx isn't up to par and 83 w/ dacp didn't work.

thanks!
                    2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Diamond cut with a wool pad-rotory, dacp with a marron-rotory, dacp with yellow pad g-100, topped w/NXT

Comment

Ok I gotta ask, what do you charge for something that intense.

Comment

Being moved to Hot Topics
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thats a hell of a transformation. Glad it worked out. I hope when I use W8006 pad with #83 or #80 it gets my etchings and cobbwebs out. They arn't anywhere near that bad, but I would like them gone.
                            2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Comment

I have a 96 Crown Victoria with the Police Interceptor that probably has the same paint!!!

I tried a rotary with a wool pad and #83 and it took some serious work to get little results! I'm currently waiting on my #84, #85, and a cutting pad so I can really get at it. The polishing pad and #83 did nothing that I could see with the rotary.

I too wet sanded with 1000 paper and it made a difference but I need the #84 to take out the scratches. I think the previous owner used the brush at the car wash! Enough said!

I can't duplicate the results but I would be happy with close to that!!

Thanks for the hope that most will come out!

Comment

Originally posted by RLdetail
                                I tried a rotary with a wool pad and #83 and it took some serious work to get little results!
                                I think your results prove the point that modern catalyzed paints are pretty hard compared to most traditional single stage paints and that the dual action polisher is limited in what it can do.

For years and years I always read people on other detailing forums always writing about how soft clear coats paints are because they scratch easy when if fact they scratch easy but they are still very hard. It's good to see the information commonly posted here starting to show up in the detailing sections of other theme based car forums, as well as other detailing forums as people take the information they learn here on Meguiar's Online and share it with their friends.

I'm currently waiting on my #84, #85, and a cutting pad so I can really get at it. The
                                Remember,

M84 = Foam Cutting Pad
                                M85 = Wool Cutting Pad
                                Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');