• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC + 83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I ordered them!

I already have a wool pad but it's not a megs.

When I need more pads (which might be soon so I have extras) I'll get a megs wool pad to go with the rest of my collection!

Comment

Could somebody explain why you cant use a foam cutting pad with M85? Is it to agressive?
      People who know cars know meguiars!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik
        Could somebody explain why you cant use a foam cutting pad with M85? Is it to aggressive?
        You can with a rotary buffer because the powerful direct drive rotating action offers the kind of contact action necessary to push the abrasives against the finish and abrade the paint while effectively breaking them down.

The gentle oscillating action of the dual action polisher does not.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

oke thanx mike, its clear to me now.

Erik
          People who know cars know meguiars!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwalker
            Ok I gotta ask, what do you charge for something that intense.
            Not enough!!!!
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Wow, after reading this I am hoping I can get my water etchings out with a DA. Its one every pannle top, with just a little spotting on the sides

I have to say the Paint on my Magnum *****, its stupid thin ( Base and clear ) and after this winter it needs lots of love.

Waiting on delivery of the #80 and 9006 pads ( I have 83, NXT wax and 8006 and 7006 pads ) so I am hoping I am ar,ed well enough to tackle this one.

Congrats on one hell of a Job on the Ford man, thats outstanding !.

-Robert
              My Work log for my Magnum R/T Hemi Registry

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Hi NVCobra,

I would second what williams22 suggested, try removing the defect first by hand using ScratchX. By approaching the defect by hand you can apply concentrated pressure to a small area and really work the area. If you are successful at removing some/most/all of the defect by hand, you can then re-polish the area with the G-100 dual action polisher to even out the area.

The next level of aggressiveness would be the rotary buffer and a cleaner/polish or the rotary buffer with a diminishing abrasive compound.

It's important to remember that the G-100 dual action polisher is limited in what it can do. More and more people are pushing the envelope and trying to remove defects with this tool that would be better addressed with the rotary buffer.

Today at our G35Driver.com clinic, after discussing the proper technique for using ScratchX to remove a scratch, one of the club members went after a scratch in his finish using 5 applications of ScratchX and successfully removed it.

Another club member tried to remove a some deep scuff marks in his bumper and while he could not completely remove it, he did improve it to the point that it was a lot less noticeable.

You never know what you can do until you try.

Mike
                could u give me the link to the g35driver link regarding sratchX use/application? I cannot find it. Thank you_

Comment

Welp after a solid 8 hours of work, my finish looks great except the damn water etching.

Did a wash with Megs Deep Crystal Wash, then dried using terry cloth and micro fiber towels.

Reclay barred a few spots on the car ( the New Megs Clay Kit, I had just clayed the car 2 or 3 weeks ago )

Started with PC 7336 and #80 and 8006 pad, didnt even make a dent on the etching, but did lighten the light haloing I was started to get.

Broke out another 8006 pad and #83 and started attacking the hood. 3 passes and light sworls and scratches are gone, but the etching is just laughting at me. It's bad enough that its not going to be a spot fix.

So after taping off my trim I just start to work the whole car, Get done with the 83 dig in with #80 then the 2nd Stage Polish I had bought earlier ( 1 paint cleaner #2 polish #3 wax stuff from Megs ). BTW - I like the way that stuff smells

Then I layed in with the the wax, and several bonnets later I had a nice gleaming finish ( minus the etching ).

I am going to have to take it to my local Detail guy and have him fix the paint with the right tool and I hope to keep up on it.

Brilliant Black Pearl is a damn pretty color but she is a harsh mistress...

I will have to stay I have never had a charlie horse in my hand before today :/

I use a bit too much product and also tent to over work it ( got good with it towards the end, more pratice and I hope a Megs class here in MD/Va area soon )

blah, not a bad day, I just wish I could have made a dent in teh etching...

-R
                  My Work log for my Magnum R/T Hemi Registry

Comment

Re: PC + 83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher

I was working on a 12 year old Mercedes paint with deep swirls and water mark.

I don't have a rotary, only a Flex 3401. Nothing works well enough (#83 etc); until I tried the following method for 3 passes:

Flex 3401 at speed 5.
                    Meguiars Foam Cutting Pad W7006
                    M105 ultra cut compound.

Fortunately it works but I had to apply a lot of pressure to see the swirl go away. The finish is nice, without swirls.

Now I really hope to have a rotary and wool pad in my 'tool box'.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');