• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#2 Fine cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #2 Fine cut

I detailed a maroon 2001 Cadillac Catera tonight (sorry, no pics) yeah, yeah, I know

Anyhow, for the most part, I used DACP on a polishing pad, buffing until it dusted. After a wipe down with #34, I topped it off with #16, Needless to say it turned out really nice...BTW, I'm doing a Dodge Stratus tomorrow that's the same color, so I'll show pics of it.

Getting to the point, the car belonged to my buddy's neighbor. The bumper covers were worse than usual, and he had some #2 in his garage. Using a polishing pad & the PC on 6, I hit the bumper covers.

This stuff was sweet!! It went on like a dream, and worked really easy. I used minimal pressure on the pc, letting it spin at it's max opm's. There was nowhere near the dust that I get with DACP, and the finish was incredible. I kept at it until the #2 was gone. I used less fine cut than I would have DACP, but it seemed to be as effective. Actually it seemed to work better than the DACP. There were no swirls to be seen, and the finish was perfectly smooth and "squeaky clean." It worked so well that there was no need for a milder "follow up" polish, I was able to go straight to the 16.

On the way to tomorrow's detail, I'm going to pick up a bottle of #2 and give it a try on the Dodge
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Don, I just bought #2 fine cut this weekend. I have a PC, but when I was reading the directions it says "only for rotary". I see that you have used #2 with a PC. Does it work well for the whole car? Do you have to go to a 6 setting to make it work. What pad did you use? 8806 or 9006??

Thanks

Manny
    manny1234@mach-1.org

Comment

I used a Lake Country cutting pad on 6. Actually, I had a brain fart and didn't realize just how mild the FC is (rated similar to #9).

I was looking for something slightly more aggressive than DACP, what I ended up with was more like a mild swirl mark remover. Even on 6 with the aggressive pad, it didn't cut all that much, it had more of a smoothing action. Did the abrasives break down or not?

So far, I've only used it on my Sister in Law's Buick, but I could see the fine swirls starting to go away after a few passes. I know it didn't cause any new marring. I'll definately be experimenting with it more.
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don

I was looking for something slightly more aggressive than DACP, what I ended up with was more like a mild swirl mark remover. Even on 6 with the aggressive pad, it didn't cut all that much, it had more of a smoothing action. Did the abrasives break down or not?
        Hey,

Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut Cleaner is designed to be used with a rotary. When used with a PC, you will not be able to generate enough heat to break it down properly. As a result, most PC users do not see a big change from using it. But when used with a rotary, it is totally different!

Meg's #2 Fine Cut is also not a product you want to apply a strip of on your paint and then leave to answer the phone. This may in itself cause marring. So, you need to apply it, buff and remove.

I have used #2 for many years on SS and BC/CC paints, and had always loved the results, especially on SS paint. But if you are using a PC, then the most aggressive product recommended by Meguiar's is the #83 DACP and the W-8006 Polishing Pad.

Cheers!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
          manny1234@mach-1.org

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');