• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help, why am I getting so much dust with M105?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, why am I getting so much dust with M105?

I was detailing my car yesterday, it's a 2006 Onyx Black IS. I don't know what kind of paint it has. Anyway, I started with a brandnew W8006 pad on the PC7424. I prepped it very thoroughly but I didn't even finish the hood and it started to get dusty hard. I know I have used enough product. Through out the whole car, it got VERY dusty. How many pads do you guys use for a one car detail. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Please help, why am I getting so much dust with M105?

Dust from removing the applied M105? I think it's unavoidable. Use an air compressor or leaf blower to frequently blow the dust from the car''s finish.

Comment

If you can, answer the below questions...

How big of an area are you working at one time?
      Are you working to a dry buff?
      Are you using the new DA approved M105 or the Rotary Buffer M105?
      Are you cleaning your pad on the fly often? (How often is often in your process?)

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Have you read this?

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Cleaning Your Pad On The Fly

Here's Cisco from one of our recent Saturday Detailing Classes learning how to clean a pad on the fly
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks for the quick reply guys. The dust wasn't from removing the product, it was from WHILE working the the product into the paint.

I was working on a 2x2' with a quarter size product as I found from reading on here. I was using the new M105 DA approved.

I didn't know the clean-the-pad-on-the-fly technique, I think that is my problem right there.

Comment

thanks Mike, I read that but somehow I didnt pay attention to the cleaning the pads.

Comment

Originally posted by tt061880 View Post
                I was working on a 2x2' with a quarter size product as I found from reading on here.
                Shrink the size of your work area down and use more product.

You can either make an X pattern on the face of the foam pad or place a circle of product around the outside edge, either will work.

I didn't know the clean-the-pad-on-the-fly technique, I think that is my problem right there.
                Most people don't clean their pad often enough. Keep an eye on the edges of your pad, if you see crusty residual product building up on the edges, use a nylon bristle brush like a tooth brush to brush it off.

When I'm buffing out a car, I will use the and clean the face of my pad every other application of product.

Be sure to also wipe all spent residue off the paint before applying fresh product. Spent product is not only used up product but also the paint particles you've removed in the process, so always work clean, this means your paint panel and your pad.

Please update this thread and let us know if tweaking your technique helps...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks for the quick reply guys. The dust wasn't from removing the product, it was from WHILE working the the product into the paint.

I was working on a 2x2' with a quarter size product as I found from reading on here. I was using the new M105 DA approved.

If you don't mind me asking...
                  What was the temp/humidity like when you experienced the dusting with M105?
                  What speed setting on the tool?

Comment

thanks Mike, I will try the advices you guys gave me when I do my gf's car next weekend and I will update this thread. I think it was more likely that the pad was dirty. I did read up on the 105 before I started the job yesterday and, I remember someone had the same issue and somebody suggestest to put more product, and that was exactly what I did and it didn't help the problem.

Jason, I'm down in south florida and it was in the high 60s when I was doing it. I started at 3 to spread the product and went up to 5 to work it in.

Comment

I get a lot of dust with M105 DA approved on my G110 too.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');