• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applicator pad quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applicator pad quandary

I've been using an assortment of MF applicator pads that have proven unsatisfactory on some soft clear coat I'm working on. Polished to perfection I'm getting slight swirls when applying LSP. Figured I'd look for Meg's latest n greatest High Tech soft foam pads and see what they look and feel like. I've got a few super-soft, closed-cell foam pads that came with one product or another... I'd like to pick up a bunch more.

I've been looking all over locally for Meg's soft foam applicator pads... no luck at K-Mart, Wal Mart, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Carquest or any of the other places that usually have a decent selection of Megs products. First place I looked online was ADS... they appear to have none in stock. I was surprised I found nothing but the MF applicator pads on Meg's Online!

The more online shopping I do the more confusing it gets. I'm looking for the newest soft cell foam pads. I see some "high tech" soft pads in blue packaging right next to what *appears* to be the same thing in Gold Class packaging. The descriptions all appear to be the same although product numbers differ... I've seen MX-3070, MX-3075, W-0002 and W-0004. Yet I've been unable to arrive at a correllation between numbers and pads as the descriptions are usually all the same. I know some of the differences in product numbers are due to size... 4.5" vs 6". Other than that I haven't been able to identify which might be what I'm looking for.

Appreciate any pointers or info...

TL

Re: Applicator pad quandary

2 Pack Yellow Hi Tech
    4 Pack Yellow Hi Tech
    2 Pack Even Coat
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Hi:

The Hi Tech applicators are out of stock at ADS.

HERE:

I am sure it just a temporary thing. Send Rick an e-mail and ask when he expects them in stock.

The pads in the blue packaging are from the Meguiar's marine line; not sure if they are the same as the automotive pad.

Like you I have tried others put this applicator always works the best.

Regards,

KTruck
      Make it Shine

Comment

Thanks for the prompt responses....

Appreciate the response, however I'm still unable to differentiate between the pads to make sure I'm ordering what I want. The 1st link is to the out-of-stock pads. The second says nothing about "high tech", which I assume to be the newest offering. I'm familiar with the older version, I don't particularly care for them. And the 3rd link is to the MF pads I have coming out my ears which leave the slight swirls in soft paint during LSP application.

Originally posted by KTruck View Post
        Hi:

The Hi Tech applicators are out of stock at ADS.

HERE:
        Yeah, I mentioned that in my initial post.

The pads in the blue packaging are from the Meguiar's marine line; not sure if they are the same as the automotive pad.
        KTruck
        The blue packaging appears to be the same as those packaged as Gold Class... which still leaves me in a quandary as to which product number is the older pad and which is the new, closed-cell, soft foam.

Thanks to both of you just the same... TL

Comment

If it does not say Hi Tech, it does not matter, because they are the same pads just in "bulk"
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
            If it does not say Hi Tech, it does not matter, because they are the same pads just in "bulk"
            Which still leaves me scratching my head cuz I'm seeing different product number in various places for what *appear* to be the same pads. Maybe Mike can add some illumination come Monday....

Thanks again, TL

Comment

I do not know what other pad you are talking about.
              Could it have been discontinued?
              Is it like the NXT Wax Applicator Pad?
              Is it like the pad in KTruck's Avatar?
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by TLMitchell View Post
                Which still leaves me scratching my head cuz I'm seeing different product number in various places for what *appear* to be the same pads. Maybe Mike can add some illumination come Monday....

Thanks again, TL
                Just so you know, a 4-pack of pads will have a seperate item number from a 2-pack of pads. Can you post the item numbers that you are seeing? Where are you seeing these items?

The Hi-Tech applicators should be pretty straightforward, there wasn't any changes in the NXT and Hi-Tech pads (I believe there is a thread on this). The purple NXT pads made it easier to see the product, but it was the same base material. I've seen the marine line pads and I'm 99% sure they are the same things, just repackaged Hi-Tech applicators.

Now the even coat applicators are more microfiber based and very different from the Hi-Tech applicators.
                NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Have you tried looking at NAPA. In NE Indiana a lot of the NAPA stores carries Meg's products.

Dave
                  You repair things with tools. You fix things with a hammer.

Comment

I do not know what other pad you are talking about.
                    Could it have been discontinued?
                    There's that possibility. The only Meg's pads I still have are old... real old. They were foam inside but the exterior was more smooth. I didn't care for 'em.

Is it like the NXT Wax Applicator Pad?
                    Is it like the pad in KTruck's Avatar?
                    Good questions, I've never laid eyes on the newer pads... which is why I was looking to find them locally, so I could be sure I was getting what I'm looking for.

Thanks again... TL

Comment

I do not know if you can find the Meguiars Brand Pads locally.
                      I know at Advanced Auto Parts they have Generic Foam Pads, similar to the Hi Tech ones
                      Joel
                      Firefighter/EMT-B
                      '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                        Just so you know, a 4-pack of pads will have a seperate item number from a 2-pack of pads. Can you post the item numbers that you are seeing? Where are you seeing these items?
                        Online vendors.... ADS shows the out-of-stock High Tech applicator pads with no product number.

The product number contained in the URL is x3070.

They also show a 4-pack of applicator pads without the High Tech designation as W-0004-4.

If these are in fact the same pads why would there be differing numbers and dual product listings?

Amazon has numerous listings from various vendors. This one is in Gold Class packaging, says "High Tech" and appears to be what I'm looking for.

Here's another Amazon listing for High Tech pads with a product number of W-0004-4... the 4-packs.

But the product description really muddies things...

"Product Description
                        W004-4Wax Applicators 4 packMade exclusively to Meguair's design and high standards. These ultra-soft applicator pads apply any liquid or paste product uniformly and evenly. Safe for any cars finish, they work equally well on fine furniture, silver, clear plastics and other delicate items. Completely washable and reusable. Dont put in dryer.Aggressive cutting action without leaving typical difficult to remove swirl marks.Removes serious paint imperfections.Quick change Velcro backing system."

"Aggressive cutting action"?!? "Velcro backing"?!? Huh????

Then again there's a listing for W-0002 pads:

Auto Barn is also showing the Gold Class packaging and X-3070 product number.

Now the even coat applicators are more microfiber based and very different from the Hi-Tech applicators.
                        The MFs are the only thing I'm absolutely sure of... and those are what I *don't* want.

Thanks for the reply... TL

Comment

Originally posted by dvtldav View Post
                          Have you tried looking at NAPA. In NE Indiana a lot of the NAPA stores carries Meg's products.

Dave
                          The local NAPAs don't have much of a selection of Megs... a little 3M in JUMBO sizes, a few wool pads and that's about it. Small market.

Thanks... TL

Comment

I do not know if you can find the Meguiars Brand Pads locally.
                            I know at Advanced Auto Parts they have Generic Foam Pads, similar to the Hi Tech ones
                            BTDT, the two local Advanced Autos here only offered MFs.

TL

Comment

I am Glad you Found What You Wanted Online!!
                              Joel
                              Firefighter/EMT-B
                              '99 F-150

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');