• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Business

With Spring Just around the Corner, I have many details ready, just looking for dates. I was wondering those who detail are peoples cars, how do you get the car to your location?
    Does the owner drop it off and you take them home?
    Do you go to their house to pick it up?
    Does the owner come with 2 cars, one to detail the other as their ride home?
    Or do you let them sit there in awe of the work?

Thanks for your replies!!

Do you like the slogan in my signature?
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Re: Detailing Business

Most of the time when im on the phone with a client I always ask how they want to drop of their car.

80% of the time they show up with someone in another car to pick them up. If they are a close friend/relative I will let them take one of my cars. There have been occasions where I picked up their car from their work as well. Its mostly whatever is easier for them.

Comment

Are you detailing out of your garage or do you have shop to work out of?

Regardless, when setting up a date do like Fischer mentioned and ask the owner how they would like to drop off the car.

If sometimes they need you to take them back to their house and/or pick them up when you're done that's just part of customer service and hope they don't live a long distance away.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Are you detailing out of your garage or do you have shop to work out of?
        Carfire, a very important consideration. If you're operating out of your garage, check your local zoning ordinances or any neighborhood CC's that might be in place (ask your parents). I made the mistake of running a small inkjet refill business out of my garage 5 years back and was fined $2500 for violating local city zoning laws (I negotiated it "down" to $775 plus court costs, but still...) Better to check twice that to get hit with fines. Remember, all it takes is one annoyed neighbor and a phone call

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
          Carfire, a very important consideration. If you're operating out of your garage, check your local zoning ordinances or any neighborhood CC's that might be in place (ask your parents). I made the mistake of running a small inkjet refill business out of my garage 5 years back and was fined $2500 for violating local city zoning laws (I negotiated it "down" to $775 plus court costs, but still...) Better to check twice that to get hit with fines. Remember, all it takes is one annoyed neighbor and a phone call
          Yeah, will get zoning fines for this. Even if you think you get along with all of your neighbors. You are basically running a Business out of your Home, which is registered as a House, not a business.

I have the same question though. I am in the exact same boat as CarFire.

It just seems like such an inconvenience to have them come in 2 cars, but I guess that's how it works. When you do it of your own garage.
          Matt

Comment

Thanks for the Replies they are very helpful!!
            So what do I have to do not to get those fines?
            Joel
            Firefighter/EMT-B
            '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
              Thanks for the Replies they are very helpful!!
              So what do I have to do not to get those fines?
              Check with your local city/county office. If you have a local chamber of commerce (Google your city/county and chamber of commerce) they can be of great assistance telling you what forms need to be filed or whom or what city office you need to contact. One of these sources should be able to tell you what your residence is zoned for (some neighborhoods have limited business zoning and a window of daily operation). Also, if your folks have to pay Homeowners Association (HOA) fees, you will have to clear your business operation with their charter as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                Carfier, just remember, it's not a business, you are not getting paid. The cars belong to your friends and detailing them is your hobby!

Comment

That's funny!
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                    Carfier, just remember, it's not a business, you are not getting paid. The cars belong to your friends and detailing them is your hobby!
                    Or it's a school project. Remember Risky Business?

Comment

Not a bad idea to make it a "hobby" or school project/community service time lol
                      Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                        That's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post

Probably most the cars I do are friends, and I am not looking for money, I am just suggesting a price and they pay what they want. Think of it as a tip/gift.

But seriously thanks for your help.
                          It looks like I have a lot more work to do than I thought!!
                          Joel
                          Firefighter/EMT-B
                          '99 F-150

Comment

Probably most the cars I do are friends, and I am not looking for money, I am just suggesting a price and they pay what they want. Think of it as a tip/gift.

But seriously thanks for your help.
                            It looks like I have a lot more work to do than I thought!!

good luck to your detailing business adventure.

btw, your signature is funny.

Comment

Hey Carfire first off good job on getting to do what u love. I myself am doing something similiar mostly for friends or friends of family. One way is i get them to drive the car i'm detailing down to my garage then i send them back home in my own car. When the job is done i pick them up from their place to my place to collect their car. they all stay pretty near me so transport time isn't a problem. what do u guys think?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');