• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinstripe Remnant Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinstripe Remnant Removal

I have a black 95 Grand Marquis that I just bought recently from the original owner. Originally it had painted on pinstripes in grey. Somewhere over the course of its life, someone has taken a rotary to it and most of the pinstriping is gone.

My question is - How can I remove the rest of the stripes without having to resort to finding someone with a rotary?

I have just taken advantage of the September promotion and will be getting my pc shortly. Is there something that I can use in combination with the pc to remove the pinstripe remnants?

Thanks to all for all the great information that I have found here so far!
    "A clean car makes for a happy driver!"

Ezmoney95,

I don't know how the pinstripes on your car are attached, but I have used a hair dryer before to remove vinyl logos and such from cars. Simple heat it up and try to peel it off. If you feel any resistance stop and heat it more. You can usually melt the adhesive with the hair dryer.

Here is a Dodge Dakota that I took the "Dodge" and "Dakota" names off of.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Williams22,

Thanks for the reply. The stripes are however paint.

Nice job on the Dakota. I hope to have mine GM look as good someday soon!

EZ

Comment

Re: Pinstripe Remnant Removal

Originally posted by Ezmoney95
        My question is - How can I remove the rest of the stripes without having to resort to finding someone with a rotary?

I have just taken advantage of the September promotion and will be getting my pc shortly. Is there something that I can use in combination with the pc to remove the pinstripe remnants?

Thanks to all for all the great information that I have found here so far!
        Hi Ezmoney95,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

First,

"You never know what you can do until you try"

So I'm not going to say you cannot remove the painted-on pinstripes with the dual action polisher because you just might be able to, you won't know until you try.

The problem with this is that the Meguiar's G-100 dual action polisher is very gentle tot he finish, it is this feature that makes it so popular with enthusiasts because unlike the rotary buffer it is easy to control, produces better results than you can achieve by hand, and is dramatically much more safer than the rotary buffer.

It is this gentle feature that limits it in typically doing the thing you want to do and that is to remove lots of paint.

One thing you might try is ScratchX by hand. By working with your hand, you can focus a lot of pressure in a small area, this will enable you to apply the ScratchX directly on top of the pinstripe. If this works, it will be safe and it will be something you can do versus relying on someone else with a rotary buffer.

Here are some directions for properly using ScratchX to remove an etching, but these directions will also apply for doing what you want to do.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Here's some information I posted on the topic of the rotary buffer and the dual action polisher that ties into this topic...

PC+83 not "cutting" it!

Hope this helps and good luck...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike.

In my order with the PC is #83. Once my order arrrives I will give it a try as well as the ScratchX. I need to get some ScratchX anyway to take care of some left on bird droppings damage that occured similiar to the Viper you did.

I will post the results.

EZ

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');