• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Recommendation?

It was a hell nightmare for me yesterday as I went to dental to remove my broken wisdom tooth . I was given two days medical leave – yesterday and today . To recuperate my nightmare, I dropped by to one of the painter workshop this morning and ask for the broken bumper . The painter found a broken Pearl White color bumper with a portion dangling, he forced and torn out the piece and passed to me. Happily, I went home .

After assessed the broken piece, it was found that it is a replica fiber bumper. I think it is locally spray painted. I have no idea how long this bumper has been used. But for sure, this is a 2-stage clear coat painted. The paintwork condition is horrendous, the base coat is very rough, it can be seen clearly through the clear coat. The ‘orange peel’ is very obvious, deep scratches and swirls marks all over. The surface looks very 'rough' due to the ‘orange peel’ and totally not a single shine at all. With that, I cut into 10”X10” and mask half of it.

I'm trying to polish this down to the maximum potential over this weekend, meanwhile, please feel free to comment and list down your steps to achieve a smooth and finest finish .

Here it goes the pic;

Replica Fiber Bumper - 10” X 10”

Replica Fiber Bumper - Back

Replica Fiber Bumper – Orange Peel, Deep Scratches & Swirls

Replica Fiber Bumper – Deep Cut

Replica Fiber Bumper – Orange Peel and Scratches

Re: What's Your Recommendation?

Are you trying to remove the orange peel?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Are you trying to remove the orange peel?
      Yes Sir. Remove orange peel and finish to swirls free.

Comment

What is your plan so for for removing the orange peel?
        Working by hand or machine?
        Hand sanding or using an air powered DA Sander?
        Is this just for practice to learn how to remove orange peel?

(It's always good to practice on something that's not important to you, that way if you make it mistake it won't matter)

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I suggest practicing wet sanding to get rid of the orange peel. You definitely want to practice like you are before ever doing it on a real car. Also to make it smooth some clay would work. But I wouldn't put too much time/money into it.
          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            What is your plan so for for removing the orange peel?
            Working by hand or machine?
            Hand sanding or using an air powered DA Sander?
            Is this just for practice to learn how to remove orange peel?

(It's always good to practice on something that's not important to you, that way if you make it mistake it won't matter)

This is for practice to remove orange peel and polish to the finest finish at the shortest time. Working on hand would be a big challenge as the defects is really bad. I would use 2500grits Wet Sanding, Rotary with M105 & DA machine with M9 Swirls Remover.

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
              I suggest practicing wet sanding to get rid of the orange peel. You definitely want to practice like you are before ever doing it on a real car. Also to make it smooth some clay would work. But I wouldn't put too much time/money into it.
              Thanks for your comments. For that small little area (5" X 10"), I would time myself 10mins max to achieve the finest finish.
              Last edited by Civic Man; Feb 24, 2009, 06:25 PM. Reason: Add more content.

Comment

Wet-Sanded with 1500grits paper as 2500grits not available.

Remove a strip of the masking tape to shown the sanding finish.

Close-look

I'll use a Rotary w/ Wool pad go with M105. More pic coming.....

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');