• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which speed on rotary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which speed on rotary?

i want to hear as many voices as possible from rotary users/pros.
    speed settings on rotary (rpm) for
    -swirl/scratch removing &
    -polishing
    (yes it will be all different for diff situations/users but i like to know what works best for you- in most situations! thanks)

Re: which speed on rotary?

Like you mentioned, it varies GREATLY. So much so, there isn't even any type of acceptable answer that could be given as the questio is phrased.

For example, removing the same type of defects could be done with X number of different products, each of which may have entirely different ranges and optimal speeds. Then factor in pad choice, weather, and how many steps you plan on using, and you have yourself an impossible to answer question.

Any chance you could share a little more info about what you are looking to do?

What are you working on?

What products?

My best advice would be to fiddle around with the search function, and read through write-ups by detailers. See both their answer, and their application together.

Comment

Since this was your first post to our forum,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

The 1400 to 1500 RPM range is a good general purpose range on a rotary buffer for most correction work. After you get a feel for how your favorite products work with your favorite buffing pads you can adjust faster or slower but when working on clear coat paints you don't want to overheat them do in most cases 1500 is more than enough for removing defects.

Are you working on your own cars or starting a detailing business or working in a body shop wet-sanding, cutting and buffing fresh paint?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have never had to go over 1500rpm. Maybe someday wetsanding a single stage paint, but that isn't likely to happen
        Matt

Comment

thanks for the quick replies & welcome.

yes. i want to start on my own vehicle first and happen to get my hands on a cheap rotary polisher. (only 2 settings thou. 2100 & 2400 rpm. black & decker rotary polisher old model)
          i've been detailing my own car with hands and was searching for power tools.
          it will be mostly for corrections (swirls.scratches.oxidation) on clear coat paints.
          i've read a lot of threads in this site as well as many other detailing forums...
          and for me, i dont want to spend too much $ but also want to get a solid tool that
          won't break on me in a year and so,
          i decided to post it here b/c of the quick responses.

Mike, i've read your guides and responses alot in many threads,
          what would you recommend as in tools.... (i've narrowed it to these two- )
          i don't want to spend too much but it looks to me that the PC 7424 and Makita 9227C
          are the best tools in my eyes... (and they are about $50 different)
          i understand that they both have pros and cons and although i'm a beginner in
          "using power tools" but i don't mind starting with rotary also.
          is PC as solid as Makita? and vice versa?
          i don't know which one i should get...
          i'm not using it for business/shop. its just for my car and maybe few friends/family members.
          thanks again.
          Last edited by dustleet; Feb 25, 2009, 03:40 AM. Reason: to add.. proofread

Comment

I'm not Mike, or trying to answer FOR Mike...but my 2 cents on your recent post:
            One, if you truly have no real experience buffing at all on paint then I really recommend starting with a dual action polisher. Very very few people start off with a rotary, and heck, a relatively small amount of people ever even end up with one!

As for reliability between the PC and the Makita, being as I own both (I have the original G100 by Meguiars, which was a re-branded PC 7424) *The new G110 is actually a newer unit with 30% more power!) I would say they are both solid, well built tools.

I love my Makita- a lot. But, at thew same time I love My g110 because it is so simple and easy to use. Rotaries are also limited to correction work as very few waxes work well via rotary, where as a DA buffers can do correction work and spread waxes.

For that reason, coupled with your lack of actual experience, I say go for a PC 7424 or a G110. But that's just my personal opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The 1400 to 1500 RPM range is a good general purpose range on a rotary buffer for most correction work. After you get a feel for how your favorite products work with your favorite buffing pads you can adjust faster or slower but when working on clear coat paints you don't want to overheat them do in most cases 1500 is more than enough for removing defects.

Are you working on your own cars or starting a detailing business or working in a body shop wet-sanding, cutting and buffing fresh paint?

When I put the pad on the surface for correction the speed decreases...

Actually I wonder, is that 1400-1500 rpm speeds "no-load speed" (free rotating speed) of the rotary buffer?
              Skoda Roomster

Comment

Originally posted by irf@n View Post
                When I put the pad on the surface for correction the speed decreases...

Actually I wonder, is that 1400-1500 rpm speeds "no-load speed" (free rotating speed) of the rotary buffer?
                This shouldn't occur with proper power and a good machine. At the most my Makita might dip in speed for a brief moment...but it regains after that.

Either way, the speed refers to the unloaded speed. It isn't an exact science, so if your buffer slows slightly it won't be the end of the world... just adjust accordingly if the results aren't what you are looking for.

Comment

thanks for the the great inputs. Mark
                  ok i'm leading more towards buying the DA orbitals...
                  i've read in other forums that Meguiar branded polishers (ie G100 or G110) offer
                  life time warranty. so as soon as i get that clarified, i think i'm going to place an order.
                  Most likely G110. thanks again.

Comment

I have to agree with Mark. Most of us who graduate to a rotary, try it out on a junk yard hood or something first. That way if you burn the paint it doesn't matter. The G110 or G100 won't burn paint.

Andy
                    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by dustleet View Post
                      thanks for the the great inputs. Mark
                      ok i'm leading more towards buying the DA orbitals...
                      i've read in other forums that Meguiar branded polishers (ie G100 or G110) offer
                      life time warranty. so as soon as i get that clarified, i think i'm going to place an order.
                      Most likely G110. thanks again.
                      The G100 had a lifetime warranty, but is no longer sold. the new G110 has a 1 year warranty, but a crucial extra 30% power than the old model (PC 7424).

As an owner of both, I can say that extra power is very useful. I don't reach for the G100 anymore- it's there as a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                        This shouldn't occur with proper power and a good machine. At the most my Makita might dip in speed for a brief moment...but it regains after that.

Either way, the speed refers to the unloaded speed. It isn't an exact science, so if your buffer slows slightly it won't be the end of the world... just adjust accordingly if the results aren't what you are looking for.

Thank You
                        Skoda Roomster

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');