• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windsheild, Rims, and Tonneau Cover Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windsheild, Rims, and Tonneau Cover Question

I was reading some topics, and someone mentioned RainX is great stuff for your windsheild. I didn't even know there was stuff to make it better. Can somone clarify this, or if there's something better?

I have chrome rims, I have read most rim cleaners just strip the factory finish off, and just using regular car wash soap is the best. Is this true? Oh and should I use all of those chrome polish stuff, or is that only for really really worn down chrome products?

And finally, what's the best thing for cleaning Tonneau covers. Is there a a Meguiars or another brands products to use for it. Or is basic car wash soap all it really needs? And is there something to make it look better? Or is it best to leave it as is.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Windsheild, Rims, and Tonneau Cover Question

Originally posted by CanucksDakotaRT
    ...And finally, what's the best thing for cleaning Tonneau covers. Is there a a Meguiars or another brands products to use for it. Or is basic car wash soap all it really needs? And is there something to make it look better? Or is it best to leave it as is.

Thanks in advance.
    Hello CanucksDakotaRT and welcome to meguiarsonline.com! We're glad to have you aboard! I'll take a stab at one of your questions...

I'm assuming that you have a vinyl tonneau?

For tougher, more ground-in, type of dirt, you may consider Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner (#39). For the not so tough, every day type of dirt, regular car wash shampoo diluted to the proper dilution rate (refer to the bottle for proper mixing instructions) should be more than adequate to maintain the appearance and keep the vinyl in good shape. My personal preference is to always follow with a quality dressing like Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner (#40) or Meguiar's NXT Tech Protectant. Both of these products will aid in helping to keep the vinyl nourished as well as help prevent harmful UV damage like fading and cracking.

Thanks again for the questions! Feel free to post a picture of your RT if you get a chance! Being a fellow truck owner/enthusiast, I'd love to check it out!

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

RainX is a water repellant not a cleaner... I guess you might say its wax for your windows!?!? I use it all the time, it seems bugs wash off easier and at highway speeds you do not need your wipers (40+ mph).

-Repels rain, sleet and snow on contact
      -Increases visibility and driving safety
      -Easy to apply
      -Windshield wax hazes when dry so you can see where you have to buff
      -An opaque liquid so you can see where you have applied it during the application process
      -Easy to buff off, requires very little rubbing
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I'll chime in on the chrome,

Chrome is pretty impervious as long as you keep it clean, keeping it clean is the key to having it last a long time without deteriorating or rusting.

As long as you use a wash mitt and/or a good wheel brush that will get into any cracks, crevices, or seams where dirt accumulates, you can keep your chrome wheels clean using just car wash soap.

Wheel cleaners meant for chrome only usually have a strong acid in them to remove rust, so again, as long as you're keeping dirt from building-up on the chrome, then rust shouldn't be an issue. I've almost always owned chrome wheels and have always really kept them clean, usually washing them first with a wash mitt to clean the flat surfaces and then a brush that will get into the seams and around the lug nuts where dirt accumulates.

It is a good idea to either apply a coat of wax or a product like our new NXT Metal Polysh. Wax in and of itself is stops corrosion, our new NXT Metal Polish contains an anti-corrosion ingredient that also helps to stop corrosion and deterioration.

NXT Generation All Metal Polysh

Keep them clean, keep them protected and they should last as long as you own your truck.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be getting some Rain X, Meguiars NXT Tech Protectant, and just some Wax on the rims.

One more thing, what's best for just cleaning windows? I used some spray on glass cleaners, but I always get streaks, any advice? How about Glass Wipes, do they leave streaks?

BTW, I'll get some pics up after I wax it

Comment

I have never used meguiars wipes... I am sure they work well. I use Invisible Glass. http://www.InvisibleGlass.com

Works well and is easy to find at walmart or anyother auto store.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by CanucksDakotaRT
              Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be getting some Rain X, Meguiars NXT Tech Protectant, and just some Wax on the rims.

One more thing, what's best for just cleaning windows? I used some spray on glass cleaners, but I always get streaks, any advice? How about Glass Wipes, do they leave streaks?

BTW, I'll get some pics up after I wax it
              Glad we were able to help out a bit Canucks!

Cleaning windows is a snap with Meguiar's Glass Wipes. I find it beneficial to follow with a microfiber towel like the Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe and buff the glass of any excess product.

Another product that you may want to consider is from the Meguiar's Detailer Line and is called Glass Cleaner Concentrate. As the name suggests, the product is highly concentrated and one gallon will yield 11 gallons of glass cleaner and thus, you don't have to keep it couped up with your detailing stash. Use it around the house on all of your windows and bathroom mirrors! This product is regarded as the best glass cleaner on the market by many enthusiasts.

RP
              -The Final Detail-
              Lagrange, Kentucky
              thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
              CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');