• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bird droppings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird droppings?

I found a bird bomb on my 1991 white Mustang LX 5.0 convertible. It was right in the middle of the hood. I removed what I could and applied cleaner polish to the area 5 times by hand after washing the car. I still have etching that I can actual feel on the hood.

The paint on the car is in VERY GOOD condition. I bought ScratchX 2.0 and Ultimate Compound by Meguires.

Which should I use to remove the remnants of the bomb? I do NOT have a buffer so I will be applying by hand.

I am afraid if I use something too strong I will ruin the paint.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

1977 Corvette (red)
    1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible (white)

Re: Bird droppings?

You may have to use ScratchX (or similar) many times to remove the etching. Good luck.
    Art Layton
    2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Comment

Start with ScratchX 2.0 on a foam application pad and if that doesn't seem to be working fast enough, move up to Ultimate Compound with a clean foam applicator pad.

Ideally you always want to use the least aggressive product required to do the job.

If you can, take some before and after pics.

Mike
        Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Use the least aggressive product to get the job done!

Start out with our new ScratchX 2.0 with a clean applicator pad. After a few applications examine your results. If you aren't pleased, or it's taking too long, move up to the Ultimate Compound.
          Matt

Comment

These guys basically covered it.

Start with ScratchX 2.0 and some passion behind the pad. Give it a couple passes, and if the results are not satisfactory try the Ultimate Compound.

Be aware, though that sometimes these etchings will go below the surface of the paint. "Removing" them means removing the paint down to the lowest common denominator. You may not have enough paint to do this. You might have to live with it in some diminished state, but not totally gone.

Any chance you can try and get some pictures for us to evaluate?

Comment

Do try to make sure you use a foam pad. A foam pad is more gentle than a microfiber.

Comment

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the great information. I was going to work on the car today, (Sunday, 03/01/09), but here in Pensacola, FL the current weather is 38 degrees with a windchill of 27 degrees!!! That is extremely cold for this area.

I will try and take some pictures of the area, but I'm not sure how to transfer the photos to this website.

Thanks again.

Larry

Comment

I too have an identical problem. I don't know when it happened, but on the hood of my car there is a "shadow" of where a bird decided to make his mark. This is deep in the paint, I can tell. I haven't been able to work on it yet as the temperatures in NY have been relentless, not getting much above 34 degrees on a daily basis. I probably won't be able to work on it until next month with the way the weather has been.

There's a lot to be said about having a garage!!!

Comment

Hope I attached the picture correctly. Look Northeast above the penny and you can see the etch mark. Any ideas? Opinions?

Last edited by MyFirstES300; Mar 4, 2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: Newbie having trouble with inserting pic

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
                      Look Northeast above the penny and you can see the etch mark.

Any ideas? Opinions?

See the above link. Do you have either the new Ultimate Compound or the new ScratchX 2.0

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The below is the code for the red x's,

There's only ne picture in your photo gallery here,

This goes over just about everything you need to know to get a pictures into your message...

How to place an image in your messages

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have the scratchX 2.0 that I just purchased the other day. I am going to try this when the weather gets warmer.

Mike, I apologize for the confusion with the pictures. When I initially uploaded the first photo, I made the size way too small. I then uploaded a second picture with a larger resolution, and then deleted the smaller one from the gallery. The pic now posted better shows the etch mark, and was thus the best picture I took showing the etch mark. It took a little bit of time, but now at least I know how to insert pics into posts and how to re-size and upload into the gallery. It was a learning experience.

Last edited by MyFirstES300; Mar 4, 2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I have the ScratchX 2.0 that I just purchased the other day. I am going to try this when the weather gets warmer.
                            Keep us updated...

It took a little bit of time, but now at least I know how to insert pics into posts and how to re-size and upload into the gallery. It was a learning experience.

It is a learning process but once you get it down it will help you on any forum you post to and you can help others too!

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have the scratchX 2.0 that I just purchased the other day. I am going to try this when the weather gets warmer.

Mike, I apologize for the confusion with the pictures. When I initially uploaded the first photo, I made the size way too small. I then uploaded a second picture with a larger resolution, and then deleted the smaller one from the gallery. The pic now posted better shows the etch mark, and was thus the best picture I took showing the etch mark. It took a little bit of time, but now at least I know how to insert pics into posts and how to re-size and upload into the gallery. It was a learning experience.

Update 3/7/09: Today the temperature broke a little over 60 degrees so I used this opportunity to try ScratchX 2.0 on this bird dropping and some scratches on my 04' 4Runner.

On the Lexus (picture above), I estimate that ScratchX 2.0 removed 50% of the mark, but it's still visible. The damage is below the surface, so, it looks like Ultimate Compound next or M105.

On the 4Runner, there were multiple scratches on the vehicle, many of which your fingernail could catch on. After several applications of ScratchX 2.0, I was able to remove 30% of the scratches going over the scratches multiple times with a Meg's yellow foam pad. Again, looks like its time for UC or M105.

For each car, I used the ScratchX by hand with proper technique, pressure and yellow foam pad.

My question, what do you all recommend I should buy to remove the bird etch and the scratches? Can anyone recommend anything other than M105 or UC? I have read other posts that have been praising the M105, but the only thing I have at my local Auto Zone is the UC. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');