• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question on detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on detailing

Hey guys, i have a few questions on detailing. First of all i have a 2008 ford ranger and im wanting to keep the paint in perfect condition and have very few swirl marks as possible but cant seem to do that because every time i wax it i dont remove all the swirls and the swirls that i do remove come back the next time the truck is washed. So the question is, what kind of products do yall suggest for me to use to get rid of swirl marks and them not come back when i wash my truck, and i do plan on buying the meguirs da polisher in the next week so that might help remove more than i usualy remove when waxing by hand right?

thanks
    -scott

Re: question on detailing

Hi, Scott. The reason the swirls return after you wash your truck is because they were never removed to begin with. Applying a coat of wax does not remove swirls and scratches. A coat of wax simply provides a thin layer of protection. It might also temporarily hide the swirls by making them more difficult to see. If you want to remove swirls and scratches permanently, you will need to polish off a thin layer of paint. I encourage you to read through these two short pieces:

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Purchasing a D/A polisher is a wise investment. Machine polishing is infinitely easier and more effective than hand polishing. You will also need to purchase pads and polishes. Meguiar's has a number of different polishes from which to choose. Here's a brief introduction:

The Skinny on Meguiar's D/A Polishes

I would suggest that you give Rick a call at Auto Detailing Solutions. He can put together a good package for you.

Also check out Dave McLean's Dual Action Polishing Guide.

You may also find of interest my Internet Resources for Detailing Newbs.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,
    Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

You will also want to make sure you are washing properly, so as not to add more swirls.

Here are a few other links, just in case they are missing from Al's guide (though I am sure he included them), and as his other links shows you can replace the #80 with the #20 if you would like. A few of the instructional threads are a couple years old of course.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
      Step 1 Wash
      Step 2 Clean
      Step 3 Polish
      Step 4 Protect
      Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

MOL is awesome... thanks for handling the links guys!

Comment

Originally posted by 20ranger08 View Post
          So the question is, what kind of products do yall suggest for me to use to get rid of swirl marks and them not come back when i wash my truck,
          Just as important as removing the swirls is washing the truck and specifically the paint in a way that you don't put swirls and scratches back into the paint.

Clear coat paints are easily scratches and the scratches show up easily to your eyes.

If this is a daily driver, parked outside all of the time, then it's going to be pretty hard to maintain a 100% swirl free finish all the time.

If you're working by hand then you're going to want to get some Ultimate Compound and some SwirlX and then a wax of your choice.

Figure on 3-5 hours to rub the paint out by hand for just the compounding step as you can't tackle large sections at a time and you can't do it quickly.

I posted some info about this recently, I'll repost it here later today.

Click on the images to go to their dedicated threads...

Swirl and Scratch Removers

Ultimate Compound
          ScratchX 2.0
          SwirlX

Most aggressive to least aggressive -->

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Scott, I just sent a PM. You are close to me so lets talk, bring your supplies and I will be glad to coach you through the process. I have a couple of PC's so we can tackle those pesky swirls. Hands on learning.
            al
            The way a person treats their car is a direct reflection of how they treat themselves

Comment

Originally posted by PaintPolisher View Post
              Scott, I just sent a PM. You are close to me so lets talk, bring your supplies and I will be glad to coach you through the process. I have a couple of PC's so we can tackle those pesky swirls. Hands on learning.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

thanks for the help guys!
                all those links have been real helpful

Comment

1. Wash--NXT Wash, 2 Buckets, 2 Grit Guards, Microfiber Wash Mitt

2. Clay Surface--Smooth Surface Clay Kit

3. Cleaner/Polish--Ultimate Compound

4. Cleaner/Finish Polish--SwirlX

5. Wax--NXT 2.0 Tech Wax

6.Maintain--Ultimate Quik Detailer

All of those products can be found at www.autodetailingsolutions.com

They are all by Meguiar's.

Scratch X 2.0 also works great for spot work.

Read all of the links above to get an idea on how to do things. Welcome to MOL!
                  Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');