• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grit Guards ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grit Guards ??

I see other posts talking about Grit Guards when washing your car. What are they? I have never heard the term before.

Thanks

Larry

1977 Corvette (red)
    1991 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible (white)

Re: Grit Guards ??

Watch this video. It should answer your questions: How to safely wash your car without inducing swirls or scratches.

Comment

Grit Guards are a mesh type filter that goes in the bottom of your wash bucket that traps dirt at the bottom of the bucket, so it's not absorbed back into your wash mitt again:

They tell you everything about them here:

Grit Guard Website
      Matt

Comment

Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

it really is an amazing tool, really reduces the chances of instilling a swirl or scracth in your cars paint, especially if its a nasty winter and your car is full of salt
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I was skeptical about them. Went out and purchased a couple. Amazed at all the sentiment that they trap. Great idea. Highly recommend them.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

I thought about getting them, but they don't seem worth it to me. Anytime I get done washing, all the dirt is sitting at the bottom of the bucket anyway, with or without this "guard". I don't have an issue with any new swirls arriving after I wash my car either. Just don't dip your mit down to the bottom of your bucket or agitate the water too much. Dip in, shake around and ring out in bucket 1... Move over to bucket two, get some soapy water in your sponge and go to the car. I don't see how the grit guard protects the dirt from agitating back up into the water, but only prevent you from dipping your mit right into it.

Just my .02 though!

Comment

I still strongly suggest that you buy them. Almost all pros use them.

They lessen chances of instilling swirls greatly.

Be sure to use 2 buckets, after/as I rinse my mitt, I examine it each time to see if there are bonded particles in the fibers as well. Amazed by what can find by doing this.

The coolest feeling is slowly pouring out your water and see the pile of gunk and rocks at the bottom of the bucket that would have ended up back into the mitt
                Matt

Comment

I am sure if one is careful enough, the Grit Guard could be avoided. But since I usually rush around, I'll avoid taking the chances.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I guess it all boils down to this. What is your time worth? If you are not careful without using the grit guards, you run the risk of scratching, swirling your paint. If you use the grit guards you greatly reduce the chance of this happening. So in the time it takes to remove the defects, would that have paid for the guards? Probably. Use the guards and minimize the chances for self inflicted damage to the paint. Just my 0.02 worth.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by invertalon View Post
                      I thought about getting them, but they don't seem worth it to me. Anytime I get done washing, all the dirt is sitting at the bottom of the bucket anyway, with or without this "guard". I don't have an issue with any new swirls arriving after I wash my car either. Just don't dip your mit down to the bottom of your bucket or agitate the water too much. Dip in, shake around and ring out in bucket 1... Move over to bucket two, get some soapy water in your sponge and go to the car. I don't see how the grit guard protects the dirt from agitating back up into the water, but only prevent you from dipping your mit right into it.

Just my .02 though!
                      I agree with your .02. No swirles or scratches on my car and I don't use one. All the dirt just sinks to the bottom anyway, so the Grit Guard "LOOKS" like it traps it. Just one of those gimmicks in my opinion.
                      I am amazed Billy is selling 'em on TV late at night.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');