• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking One For The Team - Ordered an Air Wand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking One For The Team - Ordered an Air Wand

I believe that I do most of my paint marring and swirling during the drying process, even though I use the Water Magnets to dry. Yesterday, after washing my Camry, I used the flooding method and blotted the car dry with a Water Magnet. It worked well and I don't think I induced any marring, but it took a long time and was a bit tedious.

A while back someone submitted a post about the Air Wand and it had me intrigued.

So after much consideration I decided to order one and see if it speeds up the drying process. It should be here early next week.

I understand that there will still be a little blotting necessary when using the Air Wand, but not very much. I'm also hoping it will it will reduce the dripping from the doors, mirrors and other areas that always plague me after washing the car.

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Re: Taking One For The Team - Order an Air Wand

Looks pretty neat. Let us know how it works, if it does work. In the video looks like it would be a handy tool.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I want to hear how this works out.
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Yeah, thanks for doing this! Even though I'm broke, I'm interested for the future, lol!

Comment

My only concern would be whether there is a good filter for on the blower?

From the description it looks like no.

If there is no filter, any small particles that get sucked into the blower will be blasting your paint at 200 mph

Comment

Thanks for doing this. It would be cool if you could do a side by side comparison between the air wand, a leaf blower, and a shop vac.

Comment

Just think of all the cars I've washed, didn't scratch and I never used one.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Quite a few smilies there!

Thanks for "taking one for the team" as Mike Says. Hopefully it will work
                Matt

Comment

Hi Mike,

How have you been? See you are still chasing swirls on that great looking Toyota.

Mike, I am sure that you are correct, your swirls are from the drying process not washing.

So ... since you only use one item to dry your black Toyota, I’ll give you three guesses as to what is inflicting the swirls ...

OK, you got it on the first guess.

Since it has to be the Water Magnet, go out and buy one of Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois and try it. Pep Boys, Kragen, Super Autobak etc.

About four years ago there was a video with Barry Meguiar on the Meguiar’s Web site promoting this item. It looked good, so I bought it and have never used any other cloth since. (I buy a new one every year.) Note: I think it
                  used it used to be called “Super Suede Drying Cloth” or something like that. I must tell you it is the greatest drying towel I have ever used.

Here’s my method ...

1. Garden hose “Swirl Free” Dark Green Metallic Tundra to remove loose dirt.
                  2. Wash with Gold Class - 4 ounces to 4 gallon of water - Microfiber wash Mit.
                  3. Garden hose rinse.
                  4. Garden hose “flood”.
                  5. Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois to “gently” dry all paint.
                  6. Home Depot Leaf Blower ($29.95) to blow out all emblems, mirrors, grille and all of the 101 other places that water hides and drips on your paint just as soon as you take the car out for a spin.
                  7. One more time around the truck with the Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois.

Done - No Swirls

Mike, when you get a chance send a PM or regular E-mail to the E-mail address listed in my profile and let me know if you would like to get together here in Huntington Beach “Surf City U.S.A.”

I have a few extra Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois on hand and would be happy to let you wash and dry my Tundra to prove it to your self that the Chamois is the greatest and will not put swirls in the Tundra’s paint.

I have all of the equipment so you don’t have to bring a thing and I promise I wont get in the way or watch over you during the process.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Harry - “Bene Vita”
                  2004 Toyota Tundra Limited V8 Dark Met. Green

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post

Just think of all the cars I've washed, didn't scratch and I never used one.

Superior Shine,

I couldn't be happier for you.

Mike

George Carlin

Comment

Although If you Looked Around the Site At all there is a little felt thing you have to replace every now and then
                      Joel
                      Firefighter/EMT-B
                      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                      '99 F-150

Comment

I have started using the "suede" Meguiar's chamois too. DANG I love that thing. It's super thin so it's the easiest thing I have ever wrung out by hand in my life. That was my only complaint with the waffle weave, but now I use the soft chamois for my first pass, and touch up with the waffle weave. Very easy, and no scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                          I have started using the "suede" Meguiar's chamois too. DANG I love that thing. It's super thin so it's the easiest thing I have ever wrung out by hand in my life. That was my only complaint with the waffle weave, but now I use the soft chamois for my first pass, and touch up with the waffle weave. Very easy, and no scratches.
                          I have never used waffle weave towels before. Can they scratch your paint. I have always used Large MF Drying Towels... But I was thinking about getting some.
                          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by bene vita View Post
                            Hi Mike,

How have you been? See you are still chasing swirls on that great looking Toyota.

Mike, I am sure that you are correct, your swirls are from the drying process not washing.

So ... since you only use one item to dry your black Toyota, I’ll give you three guesses as to what is inflicting the swirls ...

OK, you got it on the first guess.

Since it has to be the Water Magnet, go out and buy one of Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois and try it. Pep Boys, Kragen, Super Autobak etc.

About four years ago there was a video with Barry Meguiar on the Meguiar’s Web site promoting this item. It looked good, so I bought it and have never used any other cloth since. (I buy a new one every year.) Note: I think it
                            used it used to be called “Super Suede Drying Cloth” or something like that. I must tell you it is the greatest drying towel I have ever used.

Here’s my method ...

1. Garden hose “Swirl Free” Dark Green Metallic Tundra to remove loose dirt.
                            2. Wash with Gold Class - 4 ounces to 4 gallon of water - Microfiber wash Mit.
                            3. Garden hose rinse.
                            4. Garden hose “flood”.
                            5. Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois to “gently” dry all paint.
                            6. Home Depot Leaf Blower ($29.95) to blow out all emblems, mirrors, grille and all of the 101 other places that water hides and drips on your paint just as soon as you take the car out for a spin.
                            7. One more time around the truck with the Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois.

Done - No Swirls

Mike, when you get a chance send a PM or regular E-mail to the E-mail address listed in my profile and let me know if you would like to get together here in Huntington Beach “Surf City U.S.A.”

I have a few extra Meguiar’s Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois on hand and would be happy to let you wash and dry my Tundra to prove it to your self that the Chamois is the greatest and will not put swirls in the Tundra’s paint.

I have all of the equipment so you don’t have to bring a thing and I promise I wont get in the way or watch over you during the process.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Harry - “Bene Vita”
                            Hi Harry,

Nice to hear from you! Thanks for the offer. I have no doubts at all you have perfected the art of drying a car without causing scratches. I haven't forgotten that perfect swirl-free paint finish on your "Surf City" Tundra.

As I mentioned in my original post I was able to wash and dry my black Camry this weekend without causing any scratches, marring, or swirling by using the flooding and blotting methods. So I am capable of doing a scratch free wash & Dry.

The flooding and blotting process is effective, but I am hoping I can speed up the drying process with the Air Wand. I'm also hoping it will compete with the leaf blower to "blow out all emblems, mirrors, grille and all of the 101 other places that water hides and drips on your paint just as soon as you take the car out for a spin."

How about coming down to a Meguiar's Open Garage one of these Thursdays?

Mike

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                              Thanks for doing this. It would be cool if you could do a side by side comparison between the air wand, a leaf blower, and a shop vac.
                              Yes, that's would be an interesting comparison, but I don't own a leaf blower and I threw out my 20 year old shop vac a few months ago and haven't had the need to replace it yet.

Do you use a leaf blower or shop vac to dry your car?

Mike

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');