• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only see swirls in sunlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only see swirls in sunlight

I can only see my very light swirls on my 2006 Civic in the sun. They dont show up with my halogen work lamp (those yellow ones that everybody has).

I do everything outdoors. I dont have a garage. I was washing the car today because it was a warm 60 with cloudy skies. Already knowing i have swirls, i just wanted to see if the halogens allowed me to see them. The swirls did not show with the halogens.

What can i do to allow me to correct paint on cloudy days? I will be working on others' cars during the summertime and i dont want to be stuck on a cloudy day.

Re: Only see swirls in sunlight

The swirls are there, no matter what light brings them out. Just attended Meguiars 101 Detailing class today and Mike used a Xenon flashlight to show swirls that you would miss under halogen oir even sunlight. (Gotta get one of those for myself!)

By your description and without pics, it sounds like you have very light swirling and you could probably remove them with SwirlX. Also, as Mike pointed out several times during the class, if you're working outside without benefit of shade, you're only adding to the problem. Try to detail your car in a garage, carport, under a canopy, or early in the morning or late in the afternoon, but get the car out of direct sunlight.

Comment

To assits in spotting these light swirls, why not try the Brinkmann (cruel lil item some might say). Its widely available around the states (IMO); my side Brinkmann is like finding water in the desert so I opt for LEDs with Hi Lumens, ie: FENIX TK10, SureFire, etc..
      Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by TimG View Post
        To assits in spotting these light swirls, why not try the Brinkmann (cruel lil item some might say). Its widely available around the states (IMO); my side Brinkmann is like finding water in the desert so I opt for LEDs with Hi Lumens, ie: FENIX TK10, SureFire, etc..
        Which model? The DUAL XENON?

Comment

Exactly. MaxFire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Spotlight

Comment

Is that the one that Meg's uses at their open garage?

Comment

I just use standard Halogen Spot Lights So I can leave them on, see what I am doing and see the swirls all at the same time. For stepping back and viewing the swirls or for taking pictures, use the Xenon Gun
              Matt

Comment

Originally posted by dragonballz View Post

I believe so.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonballz View Post
                  Originally posted by TimG View Post
                  I believe so.
                  Mike mentioned the Brinkmann, but I think the one he used in yesterday's class was a $30 model he picked up from Pep Boys. Have to go to Pep Boys today to check that out.

Comment

what type or model was the flashlight from pepboys?

Comment

PepBoys carry the Brinkman,that's where I got mine.

Comment

Pep Boys carries the Brinkman dual xenon light for around $25.

Mike

edit: looks like lariat beat me to it.
                        Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Delete
                          Last edited by lariat; Mar 8, 2009, 09:03 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                            Pep Boys carries the Brinkman dual xenon light for around $25.

Mike

edit: looks like lariat beat me to it.
                            tjhanks Ill give ita shot, because im having ahard time seeing swirls under the garage lighting

Comment

You shouldn't see swirls in the standard dim garage lighting. You should definitely get the Gun and some standard halogens.
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');