• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pad cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pad cleaning

would an old toothbrush work ok?

and is there any possibility of meguiars working on a new velcro pad system that would be safe to wash by hand? like my foam applicator i just take the hose to it and squeeze out all the product until there isnt any more, but im afraid if i do this with the pad the velcro will come off..

DefJux921,

I use a brush very similiar to a toothbrush to clean my pads. I let my pads dry first, then take a nylon bristle brush and put the pad on the PC. I gently hold the brush against the pad and it gets the dry residue off.

Mike Phillips has a How-To for cleaning and storing these pads in the works. He's always very busy though so I'm not sure when he'll have it done. Maybe he could comment.

Hope this helps.

Chris
    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

I don't see why and old tooth brush wouldn't work, however I would probabily buy a new one. I found the old school design works the best, usually the cheapest brush made. Also I have found if you want to remove some of the nxt that gets deep into the pad, put it on the g100, turn it to six and let it rip. I must warn you though it spits wax. There is still a line of it on the roof of the garage. Works well though.

Comment

The best brush you can use is a baby hair brush. The brush head is about 3" long & 1" wide. The bristles are soft (made for a baby's soft head & skin) so the won't tear up the pad. It may sound wierd but is works and it won't mees up your pads.

Comment

I soak mine in warm water w/ dawn. Let it soak for about an hour, then squeeze all the gunk out of them and work it pretty hard. Then spin dry in a bucket w/ the PC
          Chopped 55 Suburban
          99 3.0 CL
          Family cars:
          1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
          48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
          New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
          Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

Comment

so squeezing it and soaking it hasnt detached the velcro? how long have u been cleaning it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by williams22
              DefJux921,

I use a brush very similiar to a toothbrush to clean my pads. I let my pads dry first, then take a nylon bristle brush and put the pad on the PC. I gently hold the brush against the pad and it gets the dry residue off.

Mike Phillips has a How-To for cleaning and storing these pads in the works. He's always very busy though so I'm not sure when he'll have it done. Maybe he could comment.

Hope this helps.

Chris
              I dud that but it doesn't remove the dry residue
              2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
                I soak mine in warm water w/ dawn. Let it soak for about an hour, then squeeze all the gunk out of them and work it pretty hard. Then spin dry in a bucket w/ the PC
                I tried this and it works really well. The Velcro part doesn't come off and doesn't get frayed. Works really well I would recommend it.
                Last edited by Lt1Corvette; Oct 17, 2004, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt1Corvette
                  I tried this and it works really well. The Velcro part does come off and doesn't get frayed. Works really well I would recommend it.
                  If the Velcro part comes off, wouldn't this not work well?
                  Chris

1994 Accord

Comment

Hey,

There are several ways to clean foam pads.

When using the rotary, I simply turn on the rotary and place a soft bristled brush againt the pad. As the pad spins it will clean the residue off very well. Once dry, I just tap out any remaining residue.

The above technique does NOT work well when using a PC. Generally, you should not lift the PC's pad off of the surface while the pad is still spinning. The DA action places a lot of force on the pad and often will spin the pad right off. Instead, wait until the pad dries and then brush, and tap, the residue out.

Meguiar's does not recommend washing their buffing pads.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by williams22
                      If the Velcro part comes off, wouldn't this not work well?
                      You caught me I didn't proof read my post before I submitted it. Though Meguiars does not recommend this approach, many of us have been doing it for a while and it works well. The rotary way is the best approach no question. However, if you don't have a rotary, the hand brush technique doesn't work well enough if you buff cars often. Frankly I have considered buying the cheapest rotary possible just to clean pads.

Comment

Hey Lt1,

If you plan on buying rotary sometime, you might as well get a good one as sooner or later, you will be using one! I have 3 rotaries and could not imagine not having one!!

Tim

Comment

Which rotary do you suggest and how much does it cost?
                          Chris

1994 Accord

Comment

Hey Chris,

I would suggest either the Makita 9227, or the Dewalt 849. I happen to have one of each of those plus my first buffer which I used and bought over 15 years ago, the Makita 9207, a real workhorse!! Both the Makita 9227 and the Dewalt 849 have variable speeds which are needed when using various compounds, polishes, and glazes.

Price wise, you need to shop around. Usually you can find the Makita or Dewalt for under $200 US.

Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim!

Chris
                              Chris

1994 Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');