• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glazes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glazes

Mike,
    I am sure this has been mentioned somewhere, but...

On the subject of glazes what are their benefits, and where in the process should they be applied?

Wash & clean, polish, glaze, wax? Do they really do something that polished don't? Is there a special thread on the site regarding glazes?

Thank you.

DSG
    I'm by far an expert on this stuff but I can tell you I've been using Meguiar's #7 glaze on my show car for many years. A gaze will basically hide surface imperfecions and swirls (to a certain degree) and adds oils to the paint which give it a wet look. It adds depth and richness to the paint. Since a glaze is more or less of a polish, it doesn't have any cleaning abilities and won't remove any paint defects but will hide them,,,that is until the glaze wears off. Glaze should be used right before wax. You mainly want to use the wax to protect the surface you have cleaned, prepped, polished and glazed.

I'm sure the experts on the board (of which there are many!) can add much more here but I wanted to share at least what I do know...

Comment

Hey,

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze is a pure polish. As the poster mentioned above, it does not contain cleaners. Therefore, its main purpose is to beautify by adding rich polishing oils to the surface of the paint. A pure polish will help hide slight imperfections. But they will not hide moderate swirl marks.

As to when to use, I like to use it after all of my polishing/cleaning steps have be completed. I then top it with NXT Tech Wax or the #20/26 combo. So, to clarify, as an example

#83 + #82 + #7(or #3, #5, or #81) + NXT

Cheers!
      Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks, fellows.

Comment

Hi DSG,

Here's an article I wrote on the subject that you may find interesting. Because this article is in a forum that is not open to posting, I will move it into the Detailing 101 forum here, Why Meguiar’s recommends polishing paint for comments and questions.

Begin Article

Resins
          The primary ingredient used in automotive paints to actually coat over, protect, and beautify your vehicle is called resin. Resins are made from different types of oils. These oils vary depending on the paint type, but they are oils just the same. Early resins were made from raw materials such as the oils from Soya Beans, Flax Seeds, China Tung Nuts, Safflower seeds, Cottonseeds, and even Sardines! These surfaces required replenishing the oils over time, e.g. such as a wood finish needs oils to maintain its shine and beauty.

Modern resins are typically derived from polyurethane and/or acrylic polymers, which are tougher and more resistant to harsh environmental damage. Even though modern resins are more durable, they will breakdown over time through deterioration.

Deterioration is usually caused by the forces of oxidation, or reduction. Primarily deterioration comes from exposure to outdoor environments such as inclement weather, or warm temperatures and direct sunlight. Washing with high alkaline detergent soaps accelerate this deterioration by stripping any wax protection off the surface and by attacking and drying out the resins. Think about it this way, if you have a brand new car or a brand new paint job and you store the car in a garage, (or say a museum), the finish never deteriorates. That's because it is never exposed to forces that attack and deteriorate the resins.

When the resins breakdown and are removed from the surface, they leave behind pockets of air or pores into which water and other unwanted substances can penetrate into. When water, high alkaline detergent soaps, acid rain, alkaline rain, harsh solvents or other unwanted substances get into these pores they act to accelerate the deterioration process, (oxidation or reduction).

When you apply a Meguiar's polish, the trade secret oils found in all Meguiar’s polishes, (and even Meguiar’s compounds, cleaner/polishes and even some waxes), penetrate into the paint and replace the original resins, (or oils), that have been broken-down, leached out and/or deteriorated. These trade secret oils then act to fill the empty microscopic pores, air pockets and surface imperfections thus preventing unwanted substances from entering into these areas.

For over 100 years, Meguiar’s trade secret oils have been proven to beautify and maintain automotive paints.

Meguiar’s Trade Secret Oils
          The trade secret oils used in Meguiar’s products for over 100 years benefit your paint in a number of different ways, here are two very important ones,

1) They add beauty, gloss and reflectivity
          Meguiar’s trade secret oils add beauty by darkening medium to dark colors. Most people agree a deep, dark wet looking finish looks better than a dry, hazy, plasticy looking finish. They also increase gloss by filling in and smoothing out the surface creating a deep, wet-look shine that everyone admires.

2) They replace and replenish the oils/resins originally present in your car’s paint
          Meguiar’s trade secret oils penetrate into and fill the empty microscopic pores, air pockets, and surface imperfections created in your car’s paint by the effects of either oxidation or reduction. This prevents detrimental substances from getting into these microscopic areas and accelerating the deterioration of your car’s finish.
          Unlike most wax companies in the car care industry, Meguiar's has over 100 years of experience working with the companies that make the paint that is applied at the OEM level, (car manufactures), right on the assembly line, and also in the refinishing industry, (your local body shops and custom paint shops).

Meguiar’s unique background and close relationships with giants in both the automotive paint industry and new car manufactures, (for about as long as these two industries have been around), should give you the confidence you need to enable you to place your trust in Meguiar’s, the surface care experts.
          100 years of making just about every surface coating look it's best and last it's longest is probably the best proof you can ask for when deciding for yourself whether or not you want to polish your car's finish with a Meguiar's polish.

The proof is in the pudding
          More Best of Class winners use Meguiar’s products each year at the Pebble Beach Concours De Elegance, (the most prestigious car show in the world), than any other car care product since records have been kept.

Meguiar’s knows paint
          If you choose to wash your car with a high alkaline detergent soap, expect the paint finish to deteriorate prematurely. Meguiar’s always recommends you use a premium car wash specifically formulated for automotive paints and all of the other materials commonly used to make the multitude of other components found on your vehicle.

Kind regards,

Mike Phillips

p.s.

Remember, paint is a delicate, thin coating, which is easily dulled and easily scratched. Choose carefully whose advise you listen to.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's another article that is somewhat related...

Meguiar's History, Unique Background and Extensive Product Line

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,
              After reading these threads, I think I'm almost qualified for a job. LOL Thanks for the history. Interesting reading.

Comment

Hey,

What I can not believe is that Mike actually typed all of that stuff out!!!

Mike, you need to get out more!

Just kiddin' Buddy!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');