• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Wear a Mask When Detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Wear a Mask When Detailing?

I don't, but then again I have a DA not a rotary and don't do anything more heavy than swirl removal. I do however ALWAYS wear gloves (the nitrile ones)...even when washing/claying/waxing/interior/etc.

Who knows...maybe I'm just weird?

Comment

I never have. No real need. None of Meguiar's products are harsh so I find no need for a mask for any of there products whether a cleaner or paint product like wax, polish etc.

Comment

I think it would all depend on the products. I used to work at at motorcycle dealership cleaning bikes and one of the products we would use was an orange degreaser that smelled really orangy and works really well, but too much certainly didn't do me any favors.

I also have allergies to dust mites (which are everywhere all of the time) and some sort of grass that I think is around in the spring. Right now is a pretty high allergy time of year with everything now starting to get growing and such.

I think we need to know more about your cough to really tell (granted I'm not a doctor, maybe someone on here is). Was it a persistent smokers like cough or more of a sneezing itchy watery eyes issues. Plus unless you have this for a really long period of time to where it becomes chronic, I wouldn't worry.
        "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

I do quite often. Mainly so the neighbors can't recognize me and say there is that crazy guy washing his car again... IN THE RAIN!!!
          2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

I do wear masks sometimes. . . but if I use APC or SuperD i will wear masks and gloves.

Comment

I wear a mask and gloves when using Wheel Brightener, APC & SDegreaser
              The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
              Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Better safe than sorry, thats what I always say
                Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

Originally posted by professorsabre View Post
                  I wear a mask and gloves when using Wheel Brightener, APC & SDegreaser
                  You might want to add a pair of safety glasses with that product.

The first time I opened WB, the fumes caused my breathing to tighten up a bit...even after I watered it down as directed!
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                    I'm still worried about all the ethyl-methylketone (MEK) and acetone I soaked up through my hands as an aerospace worker in the 80's and 90's before both chemicals were banned as hazardous toxins. Guess I don't need to add to my repertoire of future health problems.
                    That's news to me.

I used it myself for six years.

MEK is some strong stuff. I've seen it penetrate rubber gaskets with ease. Not to mention it is a fire hazard, and I've heard it was very explosive too.
                    r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by H.E.D View Post
                      you should wear a mask especially when working with products that contain
                      crystalline silica i think there's still a few out there. I always wear a mask and safety glasses especially when compounding.
                      Some of you may have already seen this thread, but I thought I would post a link to it again concerning Crystalline Silica.
                      r. b.

Comment

Having regularly dealt with workplace health and safety and the use of hazardous chemicals at work, the first step to determine whether you require respiratory protection is to read the Material Safety Data Sheets for the products you will be using. Meguiars make them available online at the following location:

You will then need to assess your likely exposure to the products and based on the advice in the MSDS consider the appropriate personal protective equipment that is necessary for your individual circumstances. Someone working in a closed space with no ventilation will have different risks and exposures to someone working outside in a light breeze.
                        Last edited by kesawi; Aug 3, 2009, 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Comment

When I do boats with lots of oxidation. Maybe someone from Meguiars will chime in on this.

Comment

I don't wear a mask or gloves but I do wear ear plugs when doing paint correction.

Comment

I bought some masks today to wear while compounding since sometimes it kicks out a lot of dust. $3 or $4 for a dozen from the home store.
                              Mark

Comment

I only wear a mask to paint.... past that no.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');