• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Critique this plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique this plan

I've been reading and absorbing from this forum for well over the past month and finally have my opportunity - my wife is out of town this weekend. Time to break out the G110 and chemicals stockpiled (and on their way, thanks UPS) and see about revitalizing my wife's '99 T&C.

Hardware:
    • Meg's Clay
    • G110 & Pads
    • Sheepskin mitt
    • Microfiber
    • Foam fingers, brushes, etc

Wetware:
    • QEW (outdoor water ban in Atlanta)
    • M105 / M205 sample bottles from AutoGeek
    • Scratch-X / Swirl-X
    • M07
    • DC3
    • QD
    • QID
    • Final Touch
    • APC+
    • HyperDressing
    • Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Constraints:
    • My APC+ and HD are due for delivery on Friday. My last UPS delivery was 7:40pm
    • Have a window from 3-5pm on Friday, then after 8pm for a short while
    • Have to work between a soccer game ending at 10:30am and another starting at 4:30pm on Saturday
    • Have all day Sunday to work
    • Have to be at a good stopping point by end of day Sunday

My Plan:
    • Friday afternoon I will wash (QEW) and clay the van
    • Friday night I will take it to the local DIY bay and APC the engine and wheelwells and spray them out. When I get home, I will dress the engine with HD. The wheelwells on the T&C have the rough asphalt coating, so nothing more needs be done there.
    • Saturday I will go over the van with Scratch-X / M105 and follow it with Swirl-X / M205.
    • Sunday morning I will apply M07 and then wax with DC3.
    • Sunday afternoon will be spent inside - leather cleaner, APC+, dressing

I've been "playing" with some of the products and steps on panels: washed and clayed the back hatch, worked the Scratch-X by hand on a RID - Ryan Induced Defect (my now-11 year old son drew a fortunately faint line down the driver's side with a rock when he was 3!). I will be doing a test-panel to get comfortable with the G110 and new products.

Does this sound like a reasonable action plan to those with experience?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Re: Critique this plan

Sounds Good!!
    Good Luck with Your Detail!!
    Do you have UQD or QD, to dust the paint before you wax on Saturday?
    You Should post Pictures later!!
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

yeah i think your plan of attack sounds good and definitely post pics when you finish up

Comment

I'd leave your van inside the garage or under cover in between work sessions so you don't have to worry about re-washing or knocking off dust or condensation. Just my two cents.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Besides keeping the van inside. Remember after your extended breaks inspect for dust and use the last touch.

Good luck.

Make sure you post some pics.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks all.

Carfire: I have some QD I expect to use up claying and then some Last Touch (not Final Touch - why starch the vehicle?!?) after.

CieraSL, JA: Will be keeping the van in the garage until after waxing. Then I'll be moving it back outside to warm up the leather in the sun while I work on the interior. My '08 black Azera will sit outside this weekend

The Azera (a prior Enterprise rental - swirlomatic) will be the project after I get used to the process and products.

Comment

Good Luck!!
              Have Fun!!
              Post Pictures!!
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. It was a long weekend, but ended up following the plan very closely - that or the steps expanded to eat up all the time I had made available for them.

I posted a write-up with pictures - First Timer - Town & Country, 146K

Comment

Originally posted by joncz View Post
                  Thanks to all who responded. It was a long weekend, but ended up following the plan very closely - that or the steps expanded to eat up all the time I had made available for them.

I posted a write-up with pictures - First Timer - Town & Country, 146K
                  wow, that is so nice. so you just use Scratch-X and Swirl-X by hand or G110?

Comment

nice weekend plan.. good luck :].. cant wait to see the results
                    Ganesa,
                    Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Slappy - I did everything with the G110.

I had 6oz sampler bottles of the M105 and M205 from my AutoGeek order. I figured I would use the M105 since the paint was really marred.

After thinking I had things in hand on the test spot (see the photos in my link - my test spot was the right rear panel with the Limited trim), I proceeded around the van following Mike Phillips advice to a T - dots of material on the pad, work a 18"x18" area, wipe and clean pad frequently. Went around with the M205 and as a I finished the back hatch, the sunlight hit it and I saw swirls! It felt like I hadn't even touched it; frustrating to say the least. Obviously my process wasn't what I thought it was, so I started experimenting more.

I had been running into a problem early on where the M105 seemed to go dry on me very quickly, so I'd been misting the panel with Last Touch to extend the work time. I started to wonder if I had actually not been using enough product on my sections - this is where I spoke about context in my post with photos. I had the LC pads - maybe the divots were keeping the pad too dry. I had also had issues with being unable to put anywhere near the 20-25 lbs of force on the G110 - this too made me think I was working too dry.

So I went back to my test panel again - this time with the Scratch-X and Swirl-X because I was actually close to running out of M105 and M205 by now, and I went with a more product on the pads. I was able to get more force on the pad without stalling the rotation and saw better results. I ended up having to work 24"x24" sections instead, but it all continued to work better with a little more product.

When I do my Azera, I'll again start out with Mike's directions as my starting point and adjust based on what I encounter. But I'm happy enough with the results I'm getting with the Scratch-X and Swirl-X that I expect to stick with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');