• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Needed: Hazy/Cloudy Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed: Hazy/Cloudy Headlights

Hi all,

Apologies if I'm double posting but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

After reading the great write-up by Brett here:http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=20994 I decided to give PlastX a try to restore my headlights.

I followed all the steps, with only the exception of sandpapers (I could only find 1500 and 2000 in my area) but the end results aren't exactly desirable. What am I doing wrong here?

The sandpaper did remove some light scratches off my headlight but it is now just cloudy and hazy. I tried appying another 2 layers of PlastX by microfibre and hands but it doesn't seem to work.

I've got some pictures:

This is the headlight on the driver's side (no work was done on it). I want my passenger side headlight to look like this.

This is after the restoration process on the passenger side headlight.

Any advise on what I can do would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Advice Needed: Hazy/Cloudy Headlights

So did no buffing?
    I used M105 on an older Truck and it took allot of the haze out
    Then I polished with plastx
    Try polishing by mech

Comment

Originally posted by neo_phase View Post

I tried applying another 2 layers of PlastX by microfiber and hands but it doesn't seem to work.
      When you say "apply" do you mean you're spreading it around like you would apply skin lotion to your face?

You're supposed to put some passion behind your applicator pad because after you sand the plastic lens you'll have to push hard enough to physically remove particles of plastic until you've removed the sanding marks and leveled the surface flat again.

For your process, it's not a wipe-on, wipe-off process.

Read this,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Cheers for the prompt replies!

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
        So did no buffing?
        I used M105 on an older Truck and it took allot of the haze out
        Then I polished with plastx
        Try polishing by mech
        No buffing was done as I didn't have the right equipments. I'll check out the M105 when I drop by the autoshop later. Will give it a try if they have it in stock.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        When you say "apply" do you mean you're spreading it around like you would apply skin lotion to your face?

You're supposed to put some passion behind your applicator pad because after you sand the plastic lens you'll have to push hard enough to physically remove particles of plastic until you've removed the sanding marks and leveled the surface flat again.

For your process, it's not a wipe-on, wipe-off process.
        I did put some force in the application when appying through the MF cloth, it was only when I'm applying it with my hands I was gentle.

So should I restart the whole process again of just try applying PlastX with more 'passion' this time round without sanding it again?

Comment

For the first time this past weekend, I tackled a set of headlights that looked similar to yours. There's great information on this site about using wetsanding as a way to resurrect a cloudy headlight. The write up you referenced is excellent in terms of step by step process. I used 1000 and 2000, then PlastX with a 3" foam pad on a rotary. I sweat for the first few minutes as I sanded the lens...keeping it wet is key !!!...when I hit it with the PlastX, it was amazing how the scratches disappeared. One key I found, you have to sand the whole lens uniformly...your picture looks like it's sanded in some spots but not others...

BEFORE

AFTER
          Bill Poirier
          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Definitely buff and buff with plastx using several applications. It very tiring to do this by hand. Get the Headlight Restoration kit and use the Drill attachment. It is SOO much easier
            Matt

Comment

Nice Job!!
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

Hi peeps,

I decided to give it another go. This time round with some boost of 'passion' in the sanding and scrubbing.

Result was fantastic! Will post some pics up later.

Cheerios

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
                  Definitely buff and buff with plastx using several applications. It very tiring to do this by hand. Get the Headlight Restoration kit and use the Drill attachment. It is SOO much easier
                  +1 for this recommendation.
                  2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

Bill,
                    Great job on the headlights. They look great.

neo phase Can't wait for the pics to see the headlights.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I read the same tutorial and had great success. I tried before reading it as well, no so good on the success scale. The main difference was keeping everything super wet when wet-sanding, and I applied plastX 3 different ways...first with a terry cloth as suggested, then with an applicator pad, then with a MF, worked wonders. I still have work to do, but I believe I cleaned the mess I made before reading the forum...
                      04 TL Silver
                      04 CR-V Taffeta White

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                        Bill,
                        Great job on the headlights. They look great.
                        Thanks so much...yeah it was fun seeing the result...I recently purchased the 3" wool pad for my rotary so that will make it even better next time..it's great when things work the way they are supposed to...all the support and information on this forum are invaluable to doing things right.
                        Bill Poirier
                        West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

i used 600,1000,2000 grit wet then i passed it with a heavy compound after with a machine polish...u can still see the scratches a little but still awsome from what they looked like i am going to pick up some plastic x or the new clear plastic stuff see how it goes.....

Comment

Sorry for the late reply guys. Here's the end result of that pesky headlight

Before:

After:

Cheers.

Comment

You sure you didn't buy a NEW headlight? That looks phenomenal!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');