• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! detailing car for first time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! detailing car for first time!

Hello Everyone,
    Im new to Meguiars online and a new car owner. I have never owned such a nice car and I hope to maintain its paint as much as possible. Im still trying to learn the ropes of this site. I cant afford a full detail by pro shops and I DONT have access to a garage at all.

I have the following items:
    -Meguiars Gold Class Paste wax
    -Meguiars smooth surface clay kit ( w/Quick Detailer,2 clay bars, 4oz of cleaner wax, and Microfiber cloths)
    -Meguiars Gold Class car wash

I was wondering if these steps would be fine:
    -Wash car with Gold Class car wash and then DRY
    -Use meguiars smooth surface clay kit all over the car
    -then wax with the Gold class Paste wax, then wipe off?

So far I just wash with just regular soap and water since I fear screwing up the paint, its just my luck.
    I have NEVER used wax, and I fear if I apply it I will miss a spot that will bake into the paint. (Car is a dark grey charcoal color if it matters)
    How long should wax be left on before removing? Is it better to take off by hand and cloth or should I buy a buffer and learn to use it?
    Since I dont have a garage is it better if I wax early in the morning or in the evening?

Im apologize for being such a newbie with all these questions. I would appreciate any info from anyone, Thank you all for your valuable time and insight.
    Sincerely -BH

Re: Help! detailing car for first time!

1. Calm down.

2. Dont need a buffer to take car of things. I would do this:

1. Wash - Gold Class Wash, 2 buckets, good quality towels/sponges
    2. Clay
    3. ColorX
    4. Wax - Gold Class

You would want to have good quality towels for drying, and good quality towels for removing the products. Water Magnets are good for drying ( I like at least 3), and Supreme Shines are good for removing products (at least 3).

Q.
    - You want to apply the products in a thin coat, so they dry quickly. You can do a search for the Swipe Test, but basically you want to wait until the product swipes clear easily, then remove. Should be about 15 minutes.

- Whenever you can.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

To add, you may want to see how the surface of your paint is and see if there are any swirl marks.....

I picked up some Ultimate Compound and SwirlX (at wally world) and corrected our hard as nails clear coat on our Neon and it performed nicely. By hand mind you!

Doing a test spot to get a process dialed in if you need paint correction.

Nappers: Ultimate Compound / SwirlX

I just tested these products and they work great!

Least aggressive process to start then move up the scale if needed.

That's if you need to correct your paint, but if you wash/clay/wax and your happy, then do it.

No worries, I haven't screwed my car up, so if I can do it, anyone can .

Have fun.

1. Calm down -
      Sounded like me when I started. LOL.
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

To add......

What temperature ranges are best for applying cleaners, polishes, and waxes?

Also, check out the List O' Links 2.0 by Ryan L. he put together a great paper on some awesome threads for care for your car!
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
          '99 F-150

Comment

I am with the others..and stress less....claying becomes more scary with hype, but when you do it..you will piss ur self laughing..

Oh another MAJOR rule on MOL

Before & After pics..very important..!!!

Comment

Welcome to MOL Blackheart!

What kind of car/color paint do you have?

You will find an infinite amount of knowladge here from the pros and amatures alike, so asks questions often if you're stuck on something.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to no garage. What I do is after washing and drying my car, I go and find a park or an area that has alot of shade (be carefull not to pick a tree that's sapping or is holding a bird colony).

Have fun with your new car!!!
              For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

I understand your fears. We have all been there at one time or another.

Relax, if you run into any problems, this is what the forum is for.

Claying is a step that is necessary, Scary at first. Yes. The hype is what does you in.

Just work a small section at a time and you will do fine.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to clay. You will be even more surprised at the amount of contaminants that you will remove from your paint.

Good luck.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Blackheart View Post

So far I just wash with just regular soap and water since I fear screwing up the paint, its just my luck.
                  If you're not already, try using a quality car wash as it does make a difference...

NXT Generation® Car Wash
                  Gold Classâ„¢ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

How long should wax be left on before removing?
                  The Swipe Test

Is it better to take off by hand and cloth or should I buy a buffer and learn to use it?
                  Thin coats of wax that are allowed to fully dry before removing will wipe off easily by hand.

There are 3 basic types of machines, if you decide you want to get into machine polishing you're going to want to steer towards whats called a Dual Action Polisher.

Check this thread,

Machine Photos - DA Polishers - Rotary Buffers - Traditional Orbital Buffers

Since I dont have a garage is it better if I wax early in the morning or in the evening?
                  Yes.

You always want to work on a cool surface in the shade. If there is no shade then work early in the morning or late into the evening.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thank you all For the great advice and all the helpful links you have provided for me.
                    Im sure others will be apreciate the information as well.
                    I cant wait for the skies to clear up, so I may start my first detail
                    Once again, thank you sincerely -bh
                    PS if you have any more insight please post.

Comment

thank you all For the great advice and all the helpful links you have provided for me.
                      Im sure others will be apreciate the information as well.
                      I cant wait for the skies to clear up, so I may start my first detail
                      Once again, thank you sincerely -bh
                      PS if you have any more insight please post.

everyone gave you great advice... i just want to add two things.

1. buy a large pack of microfiber towels. You'll want plenty of clean towels for drying the car after the clay/quick detailer session, and for wiping off the wax.
                      2. do your best to avoid getting any wax on the pastic or rubber trim around your cars body. if you get any on, wipe it off as soon as you notice it.

Thats about it.
                      You really have nothing to worry about. This stuff is actually a lot easier to do then people make it out to be.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't freak out. I hereby order you to relax, AND THAT'S AN ORDER, SOLDIER!!

Shane
                        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

can clay bar be used on windows to remove some of the **** that has dried on it?
                          What would you guys recommend for the windows as far as techniques and products?

Comment

Yes you can clay your windows, just as you would your paint.
                            Lot's of people just use wax on their windows and you can too.
                            I just clean them very well and use Rain-X - love it.

Comment

Just to note, there is no official recommendation for using any Meguiar's wax on window glass, if you do this it's your own decision. Car wax is formulated to bond to car paint, glass is a completely different animal.

If you have water spots or any kind of film that has built up on the glass over time a popular product for removing it is our M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner.

Here's a thread bout it,

Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning

and another recent thread on this with some great pictures...

How To Remove Water Spots off Glass using M04 with an RB

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');