• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Detail (1st Phase): Engine Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Detail (1st Phase): Engine Detail

For future reference, I want to register a correction to the process I outlined. After the application of the CD-2, I first allowed the engine to sit untouched for 20 minutes, per instructions, to allow the resins to penetrate and the solvents to evaporate. I then ran the engine 20 minutes. I misread the instructions at this point. I needed only to run the engine a few minutes (hood up). The directions then state that 20 minutes of normal driving will help the dressing to form a smooth uniform coating.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Nothing wrong with cleaning and dressing the battery. Just try to not get any dressing on the posts. But as Tyler said, it can easily be removed with battery cleaner. They also make rubber covers that protect the posts.
      Alex C.

Comment

That's odd, if you were so concerned with electrical parts, why didn't you disconnect the battery?

I know a lot about cars and I will disconnect my battery before detailing the engine. Then to be safe I cover the negative wire that connected to the battery in a plastic bag.

When I did my mothers car though I just covered the negative terminal with a paper bag but didn't disconnect it.

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
          That's odd, if you were so concerned with electrical parts, why didn't you disconnect the battery?

I know a lot about cars and I will disconnect my battery before detailing the engine. Then to be safe I cover the negative wire that connected to the battery in a plastic bag.

When I did my mothers car though I just covered the negative terminal with a paper bag but didn't disconnect it.

Disconnecting the ground is not entirely necessary. An extra precautionary step yes, but not a must. I've never felt the need to disconnect the ground anyways. But i do take the time to cover up the posts and cable ends with painters tape. Then i blast it with APC and dressing.
          Alex C.

Comment

Oh I agree it's not necessary (hence why I didn't do it with my mothers car)

However if you're concerned over electrical issues the simplest way to avoid any problems is to eliminate the electrical source from conducting any electricity at all.

Just makes sense to me. You can wash a keyboard in the dishwasher and use it afterwards (assuming it's 100% dry and no soap remaining), however if you poor water on it while it's plugged in, you'll fry it. Same for your cell phone, if you remove the battery you can get it wet, if you allow it to dry it should still work (unless you have other water damage caused).

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');