• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's what I have so far on my new website, feel free to critique at will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here's what I have so far on my new website, feel free to critique at will

Originally posted by That Sam Guy View Post
    I personally like it when the background image stays stationary and everything else scrolls on top of it.
    Also I was wondering if the images were naturally that light, with that slight blockyness, or if that was from editing or stretching?
    I'm not sure how to make the background stay stationary, but will look into as I like that too. The images were lightened to keep them from interfering with the text and foreground images. I tried darker, but it caused problems.

Thanks, Sam!

Comment

No problem. Site is looking good BTW. Keep up the good work.

I remembered that my other thought was about the side menu, But I also remembered that you plan on jazzing that up later.
      Sam

Comment

One suggestion that I have, and I haven't read every post so I don't know if it has already been mentioned. On your pricing page, you may want to divide the information up a little differently to make it easier to keep all of the information for each package together...

Comment

Hi there 10degreesbtdc,

First of all, nice job on the site. Very clean and simple and easy to navigate.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few ?'s as I am in the process of creating a website as well. Hopefully I can save myself some time by learning from others like yourself!

I have never created a website, but am fairly computer literate and think I can handle the task. I am very much of a hands on do it myself type, so to hand over hard earned cash to someone else to create this isn't very appealing, and I take pride in creating things.

I have a few simple ?'s for now but I'm sure I will have more to follow. lol

First off, Did you need to get permission from Meguiars to post pics of their products on your site? I was thinking of advertising the products I use (strictly Meguiars) Just wasn't sure about the legality of advertising products (not that any company should mind, as its free advertising!!!)

Also, would you be offended if I followed your lead? I mean, I like the way you worded things and such. Obviously I won't just copy and paste things to my site, but I don't wanna step on anyones toes! Just like the look and feel of your site

I just wanna have something like yours but with my wording, and OBVIOUSLY my pics and themes!

And I'm a few 1000 miles away so no competition here lol

Thanks in advance!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyRock-a-roller View Post
            Hi there 10degreesbtdc,

First of all, nice job on the site. Very clean and simple and easy to navigate.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few ?'s as I am in the process of creating a website as well. Hopefully I can save myself some time by learning from others like yourself!

I have never created a website, but am fairly computer literate and think I can handle the task. I am very much of a hands on do it myself type, so to hand over hard earned cash to someone else to create this isn't very appealing, and I take pride in creating things.

I have a few simple ?'s for now but I'm sure I will have more to follow. lol

First off, Did you need to get permission from Meguiars to post pics of their products on your site? I was thinking of advertising the products I use (strictly Meguiars) Just wasn't sure about the legality of advertising products (not that any company should mind, as its free advertising!!!)

Also, would you be offended if I followed your lead? I mean, I like the way you worded things and such. Obviously I won't just copy and paste things to my site, but I don't wanna step on anyones toes! Just like the look and feel of your site

I just wanna have something like yours but with my wording, and OBVIOUSLY my pics and themes!

And I'm a few 1000 miles away so no competition here lol

Thanks in advance!!!
            Feel free to use any ideas for your own site! I'm sure you'll come up with something I wish I'd thought of

I didn't ask for permission, but I did ask in my post if there were copyright issues. No direct answer to it. No objections either.

I'll probably end up reworking the entire site again, but for now it serves the purpose. As a few have told me, probably won't get much business from it anyway. I just wanted something for people that take my business card to have to look at it they desire. I have a logo in the works and once that's done I'll add it and make site changes around it regarding theme, etc.

Good luck with yours! It's a lot of work. Doesn't look like it, but editing photos, layout, text, and code errors generated by Dreamweaver (or probably me making changes and Dreamweaver didn't remove the previous unwanted code). I used tables to lay it out and that's not the best way to do it either. I had it so when going from page to page the menu and graphics didn't move at all, but once I changed on thing it effected everything else and now it's back to jumping a little from page to page. I can't find why since all my cell padding, margins, etc. are the same from page to page. (I think?)

I'd like to have a CSS based site, but haven't messed with that in years and would have to learn it all over again.
            Last edited by 10degreesbtdc; Apr 9, 2009, 07:21 AM. Reason: change

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceKeepr View Post
              One suggestion that I have, and I haven't read every post so I don't know if it has already been mentioned. On your pricing page, you may want to divide the information up a little differently to make it easier to keep all of the information for each package together...
              If I understand you correctly, you mean have all services for a package listed with that package? I had it that way and suggestions were to do it as it is now because it was too wordy and repetitive. Is that what you mean? Or lay out the chart differently?

Comment

Here are my 2 pennies:

1. First off, congratulations. I love your entrenpreneurial spirit. I think you are on the right path.

2. On a general level, I like the site.

3. Al's (akimel) suggestion is spot on. He's a great writer and I like how he worded his sentence better than the original.

4. I have no constructive criticisms, other than what has been voiced about page size and organization. Here is my thought on the issue... ask yourself, which is going to be the most important page to most people who check out your site? I think it is the pricing page (and probably the before and afters page second). So, IMHO, the pricing page needs to be laid out much cleaner and neater. It is too confusing.

5. About pricing... I once commented to a new detailer that his prices were too low in some areas, which I think in retrospect was an unfair statement and here is why. Your prices should be based upon what the market will pay. That is to say, you can't compare a "Detroit price" with a "New York City Price". People in NYC pay a premium for everything. Whether it is real property, parking or even a vodka/soda, but the prices are generally a reflection of the geographical market.

The one thing I do disagree with is pricing so low so as to compete with "Joe's corner wash" for 20 bucks. The guy who takes his car to that place, doesn't "get" what you do and probably never will. He sees NO value in swirl removal and the art of detailing. You can in some instances educate some people, but not the masses. You have to go after those who understand the art of detailing.

I also think you should change up the "levels" to something more understandable. Even something as simple as Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platnum.

One last thing... you will eventually have to start thinking about creating your company (ie: incorporating - easy to do and in most States can be done for less than $200). You will also want to buy insurance and start managing your finances. Remember, you're a business owner and you'll have to report earnings, file taxes, take deductions etc.....

Overall, great work and good luck.
                ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Thanks 3Fitty! I've been thinking of how to change the pricing page for awhile. How can I have different packages and not explain the differences? I don't think I'll ever be or desire to be competitive with most detailers doing inexpensive wash and wax packages. There are just too many of them here. Perhaps I should concentrate on a higher level of service and only offer a mid priced and an all inclusive service? Or price interior separately and paint correction / polishing / waxing in a separate category?
                  Hmmmm

I did take akimel's advice and change that awkward sentence.

I'm in the process of logo design so I will have a unique identity and not just a car picture on my cards, truck and site as well as looking into licensing. I'm think a simple dba over incorporating, though. I plan to to this part time and not as a full bore, commercial business. I still can't get the city of Clearwater to answer my questions about application and get put on hold every time I call. Probably have to go down to city hall.

Comment

Originally posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
                    Feel free to use any ideas for your own site! I'm sure you'll come up with something I wish I'd thought of

I didn't ask for permission, but I did ask in my post if there were copyright issues. No direct answer to it. No objections either.

I'll probably end up reworking the entire site again, but for now it serves the purpose. As a few have told me, probably won't get much business from it anyway. I just wanted something for people that take my business card to have to look at it they desire. I have a logo in the works and once that's done I'll add it and make site changes around it regarding theme, etc.

Good luck with yours! It's a lot of work. Doesn't look like it, but editing photos, layout, text, and code errors generated by Dreamweaver (or probably me making changes and Dreamweaver didn't remove the previous unwanted code). I used tables to lay it out and that's not the best way to do it either. I had it so when going from page to page the menu and graphics didn't move at all, but once I changed on thing it effected everything else and now it's back to jumping a little from page to page. I can't find why since all my cell padding, margins, etc. are the same from page to page. (I think?)

I'd like to have a CSS based site, but haven't messed with that in years and would have to learn it all over again.
                    Cool,

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the purpose of my site will basicly be to provide a list of my services and a place to display my befroe and after pics for potential customers to see.

Yeah, I've been playin around with the program, and so far its been ok. Not super easy but I'm pickin it up... I didn't expect it to be a piece of cake. I'm gonna try and get somethin basic, but decent up and runnin this weekend.

I'll post a link to it so you guys can give your feedback!!!

This site.. and you guys have been a real help!!!

I'd be interested to see what you come up with for a logo. That'll be my next thing to do. How exactly/what are you using to create it? My name doesn't leave much creativity wise for logos.... lol

Comment

Hey,
                      I was browsing some vids on youtube and I stumbled across this and thought of you.

Get AI-powered phone, message, video, contact center, and virtual events solutions with RingCentral, the complete cloud communications platform. Let's talk!
                      Sam

Comment

Cool,

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the purpose of my site will basicly be to provide a list of my services and a place to display my befroe and after pics for potential customers to see.

Yeah, I've been playin around with the program, and so far its been ok. Not super easy but I'm pickin it up... I didn't expect it to be a piece of cake. I'm gonna try and get somethin basic, but decent up and runnin this weekend.

I'll post a link to it so you guys can give your feedback!!!

This site.. and you guys have been a real help!!!

I'd be interested to see what you come up with for a logo. That'll be my next thing to do. How exactly/what are you using to create it? My name doesn't leave much creativity wise for logos.... lol
                        I've been talking with an artist in California, but by the time I add in everything I would like it may be too expensive.

Logo: $300
                        Cards: $45
                        Truck Decals: $325
                        Shirts: $90

That's a lot of money I could use to buy tools and products! Also have to get a license, build a reclamation/wet vac system, get a Bissel Little Green Machine...let's see, what am I forgetting? Oh yeah, I'd like to get a Flex, some pads, a couple gallons of compound and polish, more microfibers...

So, I'm trying to draw something myself to save money similar to what I wanted an artist to do, but there's no way I can do as good a job nor do I have the time to try, really. I'm using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CS2 that I've had for several years, but haven't played with much. Mainly use PS to optimize photos before uploading to Photobucket for use in my posts.

You may have noticed that I changed things on my site; font and car picture. Just playing around with logo ideas when taking a break from chores around the house. "Honey-do-list" you know?

Comment

Sorry, peacekeeper and the sam guy! Didn't mean to ignore your suggestions. Duly noted. Pricing page will change drastically very soon and I will bookmark the 800 service for future reference.

Comment

Steve, take a look at The Logo Company's webpage - thelogocompany.net

They provide an unbelievable service for a very, very low price. I did a lot of shopping around for a logo design company and didn't find anyone even close with the price and what's included in that price. Look at their logo portfolio and I think you'll be satisfied. They designed my logo (my avatar). They really are top notch and will work with you until YOU are satisfied, no matter how long it takes and how many revisions you make. Not to mention, they have a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.

Colin
                            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
                              I've been talking with an artist in California, but by the time I add in everything I would like it may be too expensive.

Logo: $300
                              Cards: $45
                              Truck Decals: $325
                              Shirts: $90

That's a lot of money I could use to buy tools and products! Also have to get a license, build a reclamation/wet vac system, get a Bissel Little Green Machine...let's see, what am I forgetting? Oh yeah, I'd like to get a Flex, some pads, a couple gallons of compound and polish, more microfibers...

So, I'm trying to draw something myself to save money similar to what I wanted an artist to do, but there's no way I can do as good a job nor do I have the time to try, really. I'm using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CS2 that I've had for several years, but haven't played with much. Mainly use PS to optimize photos before uploading to Photobucket for use in my posts.

You may have noticed that I changed things on my site; font and car picture. Just playing around with logo ideas when taking a break from chores around the house. "Honey-do-list" you know?
                              Yeah I know what you mean.

I'm tryin to stay low budget for now, as I need to keep building my supplies, but at the same time you need to advertise to get your name out there and make some cash... kinda a catch 22 huh?

What I did;
                              Printed my own cards ($20)
                              Had my own shirts made ($35 for a long sleeve about $25 for short)
                              Could have been cheaper but I opted for fancy silver shadowing
                              Local decal shops will make truck graphics for cheap magnetic or vinyl($50)

Logo I'm not worried abought at this moment. People will rely on the reputation of the company name. A logo would be nice in the future for that more professinal look, but tools and products to acheive pro level service is much more important.

My way of lookin at it is the customer is gonna say, wow "so and so detailing did an amazing job on my vehicles"

I really doubt whether they're gonna say "wow, he did a great job, but he didn't have a logo, and his buisiness cards were rather plain. I don't think I'll hire him again" Not likely right?!?!?

I know its easy to get caught up in the whole marketing balony, but we all gotta step back and remember its our skills that are gonna keep us going. The fanciest website and buisiness cards won't get you anywhere if you're not good at what you do.

Word of mouth is HUGE. Once you do a few jobs word is sure to get out. The customers WILL find you. hand out extra cards to your customers and tell them to tell their friends and family. A professional way of doing this is offering some sort of bonus for referal (free wash and vaccum or a discount off future services)

I'm not sayin this stuff is a bad idea, but if you need supplies, buy them. If it will make your job easier and save time, or provide better service, concentrate on that first.

If you ask me, the nearly $800 tab you would rack up for that advertising will buy you A LOT of gear if you shop smart!!!

Just my 2 cents... take it for what its worth

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean.

I'm tryin to stay low budget for now, as I need to keep building my supplies, but at the same time you need to advertise to get your name out there and make some cash... kinda a catch 22 huh?

What I did;
                                Printed my own cards ($20)
                                Had my own shirts made ($35 for a long sleeve about $25 for short)
                                Could have been cheaper but I opted for fancy silver shadowing
                                Local decal shops will make truck graphics for cheap magnetic or vinyl($50)

Logo I'm not worried abought at this moment. People will rely on the reputation of the company name. A logo would be nice in the future for that more professinal look, but tools and products to acheive pro level service is much more important.

My way of lookin at it is the customer is gonna say, wow "so and so detailing did an amazing job on my vehicles"

I really doubt whether they're gonna say "wow, he did a great job, but he didn't have a logo, and his buisiness cards were rather plain. I don't think I'll hire him again" Not likely right?!?!?

I know its easy to get caught up in the whole marketing balony, but we all gotta step back and remember its our skills that are gonna keep us going. The fanciest website and buisiness cards won't get you anywhere if you're not good at what you do.

Word of mouth is HUGE. Once you do a few jobs word is sure to get out. The customers WILL find you. hand out extra cards to your customers and tell them to tell their friends and family. A professional way of doing this is offering some sort of bonus for referal (free wash and vaccum or a discount off future services)

I'm not sayin this stuff is a bad idea, but if you need supplies, buy them. If it will make your job easier and save time, or provide better service, concentrate on that first.

If you ask me, the nearly $800 tab you would rack up for that advertising will buy you A LOT of gear if you shop smart!!!

Just my 2 cents... take it for what its worth
                                I agree with the logic and frugal-ness of what you're saying, but then again I don't want to change cards or logos or shirts later so I'm trying to get it all the way I want it and run with it once.

I don't expect anyone to be impressed with a logo if the quality is not there, but when it is they will remember and identify a unique logo with that quality, I think. I do. I've had work done on my house, a/c, etc. and I can remember those that did a good job and had something unique about them. I can't remember those that were generic even if thier work was good. Around here, everyone has a "so-and-so" named detailing services. Separating myself from that pack with work ethic, quality and a unique brand is what I'm after. A year from now I want to be proud of my work and my logo/brand, so I think spending the money up front will save in the long run. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it, but isn't that part of the fun?

Did you pay $25 each for your shirts? Just wondering. I haven't priced any yet. I did price truck decals and they are $75-$100 each. I need 3 as well as some small signs.

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                                Steve, take a look at The Logo Company's webpage - thelogocompany.net

They provide an unbelievable service for a very, very low price. I did a lot of shopping around for a logo design company and didn't find anyone even close with the price and what's included in that price. Look at their logo portfolio and I think you'll be satisfied. They designed my logo (my avatar). They really are top notch and will work with you until YOU are satisfied, no matter how long it takes and how many revisions you make. Not to mention, they have a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.

Colin
                                I'll look into it, Colin. Your logo looks great! I feel my business name lends itself to something more "casual" or less modern, though? I don't know. My head hurts from thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');