• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing Bumper Scratch with Flex 3401 - Newb Requesting Your Expert Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Bumper Scratch with Flex 3401 - Newb Requesting Your Expert Advice

Hi everyone. I am a complete newb, so please let me know if I say something particularly stupid :-)

I recently ordered a Flex 3401 DA, and it arrives next week. I am working on my 2004 Acura TL in Anthracite (gray with metallic flake), and I am hoping to get some advice on what Meguiar's pads and products to use to best address some specific paint correction objectives.

Objectives:
    1) Swirls: What pad and other products to use with my Flex 3401 to best level paint and reduce swirl marks? I did forum searches on this, but I am wondering if the answer is paint specific so hopefully I don't earn the ire of forum veterans (i.e. "Do a search newb!", LOL).
    2) Deeper Scratch: Given my lack of experience with use of power buffers, I want to get some advice on whether a specific scratch on my car is too deep or otherwise too complex for a novice like myself to correct. If you the experts think it's safe for me to tackle the deeper scratch, I am looking for your expert opinions on which Meguiar's pads to use on my Flex 3041, and which products to use (compounds, polishes, etc).

Quick Background on the Flex 3401: The Flex 3401 is a Dual Action Polisher that has gotten a lot of notice online the last couple of years, but I can't assume everyone has specific knowledge of the tool. The Flex 3401 is a DA with forced rotation, so unlike a Porter Cable, the tool's motor drives rotation, not just random orbital movement. The consensus is that the tool cuts better than a PC, but not as well as a rotary, and that it is safer for novice use than a rotary. From what I've read, a novice like myself could definitely burn the paint if I do something stupid, which I am prepared to live with, but I'd like to avoid with your help and smart planning if at all possible!

PAINT CORRECTION OBJECTIVES:

1) SWIRLS
    - A picture is worth 1,000 words, but I feel like swirl marks are pretty generic. That's my way of saying I am a idiot and I forgot to take pictures of the swirl marks. Is this something the experts on the Meguiar's forum can give advice on without pictures, or should I set up the Halogen light and take some snapshots tonight after work?

2) DEEPER SCRATCH
    - Please see attached picture of the front bumper. The white horizontal transfer on the bumper came (I think) from me driving the car over one of those concrete slabs that they put in the end of some parking spaces. I want to eliminate or reduce the appearance of this scratch as much as possible.

Questions:
    A) I initially did all my research on LC pads, but I am told Meguiar's pads are much better quality, so I am looking to find out what pads will address the swirls and the scratches. What pads should I get to correct the swirls? What pads should I get to correct the scratches?
    B) I have some Zaino ZPC ("diminishing abrasive paint cleaner"), but the more I read online the more I am learning that Meguiar's is the best product to get for compounds, polishes, etc. What product should I get to correct the swirls? What product should I get to correct the scratches?
    C) Any specific tips for operating my machine successful to address the deeper scratch? I ask because I know the scratch is on the bumper which is plastic (right?), and the scratches are deep, which may require a specific approach with the Flex, in addition to the selection of the correct Meguiar's pad(s) and product(s).

Acknowledgments:
    > Newb with a power buffer = dangerous. I realize this, and I plan to get a scrap panel from the junkyard to use as my first "victim". I am soliciting advice now for the issues on my car in hopes that I have a clear idea of what to do by the time I am done practicing on the scrap panel.
    > I am asking for advice without giving anything in return. I don't know what I have to offer to contribute to the forum before asking for something, and I'm self conscious of that. If there's something I need to do to earn the right to ask for advice without getting flamed, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this post, and thanks in advance for any responses.

-Kris

Re: Fixing Bumper Scratch with Flex 3401 - Newb Requesting Your Expert Advice

Welcome to Meguiars Online Kris!!

I have never use LC pads so I do not know the quality.
    All I can say is that I love the Meguiars 2.0 Pads!!
    For the scratch on the bumper I would use M105 or Ultimate Compound.
    It appears to be paint transfer, and that is what those products are for.
    As for your swirls, I would try M205.
    I really like 205, it is a great product!!
    Good Luck!!
    Have Fun!!
    Post Pictures!!

**Remember Always Use the Least Aggressive Method Possible**
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Since it's on the lower panels I would guess it's easier for you to tackle this by hand and then use the Flex to remove other defects on the Flex

As for the damage in the picture, seems like it's paint transfer so you could remove it, make less noticeable some scratches and I see that you'll have to live with others if you don't want to repaint.

Try this:
      -Wash
      -Clay
      -ScratchX 2.0 with a terry cloth towel and follow this with a foam pad applicator
      -Wax

Other option will be Ultimate Compound instead of ScratchX 2.0 and you can use it to remove swirls when using the Flex

See an example of someone that used ScratchX 2.0
      Car Damage - Plan of attack!

Comment

Much thanks Joel and Francis!! Questions below...
        Since it's on the lower panels I would guess it's easier for you to tackle this by hand and then use the Flex to remove other defects on the Flex
        > Got it. I'll work on the bumper scratch by hand, not with the Flex. Is this reccomendation because it's an awkward location, or for some other reason?

Other option will be Ultimate Compound instead of ScratchX 2.0 and you can use it to remove swirls when using the Flex
        > As Carfire reminded me, I'm trying to use the least aggressive method first. So far it's been reccomended to try either ScratchX 2.0, Ultimate Compound, or M105. Looking at http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=30263 it looks like ScratchX 2.0 is the least aggressive of those products, so I will start with that, then if unsuccessful I'll give the Ultimate Compund a shot, and finally the M105 as a last resort.
        > Looking at the "Car Damage - Plan of attack!" thread that yalerd mentioned, the gentlemen with the paint transfer on his Scion was successful using ScratchX 2.0, so my hope is that this will be adaquite for this correction.

I am guessing that since the ScratchX 2.0 is fairly abrasive, it will leave a dull finish that I will need to buff out with a less abrasive product like M205. Am I correct that I should to the bumper correction with the ScratchX 2.0 first, then do the mild abrasive M205 to remove swirls all over the car and to bring the shine back on the bumper?

Comment

SoCal, since you're in OC, why not attend a Thursday Night Open Garage at Meguiars in Irvine and let one of the 3 Meguiars Mikes give you a professional evaluation of that deep scratch? There's one tonight and there is still room to sign up. If not, I think the next one is April 16, plus there's probably a Saturday session between now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
            SoCal, since you're in OC, why not attend a Thursday Night Open Garage at Meguiars in Irvine and let one of the 3 Meguiars Mikes give you a professional evaluation of that deep scratch? There's one tonight and there is still room to sign up. If not, I think the next one is April 16, plus there's probably a Saturday session between now and then.
            Awesome idea! I just replied to the thread requesting I be added to tonight's Open Garage. Irvine is 10 minutes from my work in Costa Mesa, so very excited about this. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
              (Posted reply earlier but it's been a couple hours and it's not here, so I'll reply again and pray I'm not double-posting!)

ClearlyCoated - awesome suggestion. I just replied to the thread you linked to for Thursday Night Open Garage. I am excited to get some expert opinion on what product to buy and how to use it. Irvine is only 10 minutes from my Costa Mesa office, so that is perfect. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalNewb View Post

I am guessing that since the ScratchX 2.0 is fairly abrasive, it will leave a dull finish that I will need to buff out with a less abrasive product like M205.
                Wrong. The cool thing about Meguiar's is that we do our best to make our abrasive product polish out so it look like you just waxed the paint, ScratchX in all it's version does this. Cool huh?

Am I correct that I should to the bumper correction with the ScratchX 2.0 first, then do the mild abrasive M205 to remove swirls all over the car and to bring the shine back on the bumper?
                We'll see you in the garage, if you can come by about 4:00pm and I'll have the doors open already, if not we'll see you when you get here.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I am guessing that since the ScratchX 2.0 is fairly abrasive, it will leave a dull finish that I will need to buff out with a less abrasive product like M205.
                  When you use ScratchX 2.0 with a terry cloth towel you can sometimes leave marks on the finish so you could follow with the same product and using an applicator that is not as aggressive as the terry cloth towel, in this case, a foam applicator pad

Comment

Wrong. The cool thing about Meguiar's is that we do our best to make our abrasive product polish out so it look like you just waxed the paint, ScratchX in all it's version does this. Cool huh?
                    > Very nice. Not having to do multiple passes is sweet.

We'll see you in the garage, if you can come by about 4:00pm and I'll have the doors open already, if not we'll see you when you get here.
                    > I'lll be at work until 5:15-5:45pm today, then I'll head to Irvine directly so I'll plan to be there at about 6pm or so. Awesome that Mequiar's has something like this available.

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
                      When you use ScratchX 2.0 with a terry cloth towel you can sometimes leave marks on the finish so you could follow with the same product and using an applicator that is not as aggressive as the terry cloth towel, in this case, a foam applicator pad
                      Looking at the online shop I see three applicators: W0004, X3070, and X3080 (only the last one was linkable). Which foam applicator would you suggest?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

If anyone is thinking of going to the Thursday Night Open Garage I would highly recommend it. Forum discussion is a great way to get info, but being able to ask Mike questions live on DA technique and other stuff was really helpful.

Mike used Mequiar's #4 Heavy Cut Cleaner on the bumper scratch, and was able to remove a lot of the paint transfer and reduce the appearance of the scratches. Thanks Mike! After the #4, Mike did a quick follow up with SwirlX, and some Tech Wax 2.0 to really bring up the shine. The scratches were down to the plastic on the bumper, so while nothing short of body shop re-spray will make it look perfect, it looks a whole lot better. I went to take pictures last night but my digital camera wouldn't turn on even with fresh batteries (it got pretty wet snowboarding in Tahoe last weekend). Anyway, Thanks Mike and everyone else for your help!

Comment

If anyone is thinking of going to the Thursday Night Open Garage I would highly recommend it. Forum discussion is a great way to get info, but being able to ask Meguiar's staff questions live on DA technique and other stuff was really helpful.
                          Thanks for bringing your car to our Thursday Night "Open Garage" class and letting us work on it, I'll be posting some pictures from last nights class here,

Pictures & Comments from Thursday Night "Open Garage"

Click here read more or add your comments!
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            Thanks for bringing your car to our Thursday Night "Open Garage" class and letting us work on it, I'll be posting some pictures from last nights class here,
                            Does this Open Garage ever make road trips to NYC?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');