• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documented: Wet sand black chip repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Documented: Wet sand black chip repair

lol You really took the precaution with the masking! Good work!

Are these 3000 grit sanding marks? If you recall my post where I talked about the sanding marks on my car... mine are roughly like yours... So I guess hand application worked for you. You must have really worked on those sanding marks with your hand.

Comment

Great work!

Comment

Great work Mark!

How long did you wait after applying the paint before beginning the wet sanding?

Regards,
        Vito
        '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by 96Lude View Post
          Great work Mark!

How long did you wait after applying the paint before beginning the wet sanding?

Regards,
          Vito
          On this occasion it was an hour or so inbetween coats and sanding.

On other jobs I have had to wait as much as a few days. Paint varies, but if you have to rush it, just be very cautious and take your time.

I too was quite surprised how easily it came out by hand. I check it under full sun, halogen, and fluorescent and couldn't find any evidence of wet sanding marks.

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
          lol You really took the precaution with the masking! Good work!

Are these 3000 grit sanding marks? If you recall my post where I talked about the sanding marks on my car... mine are roughly like yours... So I guess hand application worked for you. You must have really worked on those sanding marks with your hand.
          The area that looks white surrounding the blob is from the 3,000 wet sanding, but the other scratches were just there to start with. Although deep correction required aggressive methods, I found the paint got light scratching quite easily.

Removing the sanding by hand was surprisingly easy- just a few passes with a foam applicator did the trick

Comment

How are the results with metallic paint? I have dark green metallic and purchased touch up paint bottle from the dealer. After wet-sanding the blob, it shifts the color. I had done this with leftover body shop paint in the past and that did lot better.

- Vikas

Comment

Originally posted by sontakke View Post
              How are the results with metallic paint? I have dark green metallic and purchased touch up paint bottle from the dealer. After wet-sanding the blob, it shifts the color. I had done this with leftover body shop paint in the past and that did lot better.

- Vikas
              Unfortunately, you have discovered the downside to metallic paint- sanding exposes metallic flake and alters the color.

If you really want to get it as close to perfect as you can I would suggest using a very thin base coat of the metallic paint that doesn't exceed the level of the rest the car's paint (ie it fits inside the chip, but doesn't come out above the surrounding paint), and then don't sand that, but instead fill the rest with clear coat and sand the clear to make it level. Then you don't expose any metallic flake.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Comment

That's a great tip! I think what I need to do is to thin the dealer paint. Do I need acetone or regular paint thinner would work? Do they sell clear in touch-up bottle? I don't recall seeing either clear or primer in small touch-up bottles at Walmart/Autozone type of stores.

Thanks,
                - Vikas

Comment

I purchased regular clear in a tough-up bottle (my bottle was white) from Pep Boys. I believe it was made by DuPont.

As for what to thin it with, it depends what type of paint it is as different paints would be thinned with different products.

Comment

Quick question, when touching up, do you use basecoat and then top with clear? or a single stage paint?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nissantruckfreak View Post
                      Quick question, when touching up, do you use basecoat and then top with clear? or a single stage paint?

thanks
                      It depends on the car/color. Many touch-up kits offer a paint that has "clear" and color in a single pen. Some are two-step with 1 base/color coat, and 1 clear coat.

Sometimes the ones with built-in clear aren't quite enough, or if I need to add a little extra gloss or darkness I will add pure clear over it as well.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');