• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need info on boat detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info on boat detail

Hi all

just got a call from a friend of mine. He wants me to detail his "new" boat. Well, new for him but not new. It's a 27' Fountain speedboat. I haven't seen the boat yet myself and won't get to see it until I get over there to work on it. He tells me it's in good conditional overall - such as no oxidation or major scratches, etc with the paint. He seems to think maybe the paint might just need a cleaning and wax. I'm thinking a wash, clay, and a cleaner wax??

He also said the seats and interior upholstery needs cleaning.

What would the recommended products be for the paint and for the upholstery? I've never done a boat before so don't have a clue.
    All I have now are car products such as M105, M205, #26 wax, NXT 2.0, #21 Sealant, #7 glaze, APC, Super Degreaser, Silicone Free dressing, regular and aggressive detailing clay, my Flex 3401 DA and LC CCS pads in orange, white, gray, blue, and purple wool.

Thanks for any help and recommendations!

Barry
    What am I, fly-paper for morons?

Re: need info on boat detail

wow, no suggestions or recommendations on what products I need to go out and buy to do a boat??

Comment

Hang tight as you first posted at in the evening when everyone was ready to split (MOL Brass)

I would cruise the marine/rv line and use product specified for marine use (rubber, metal, polishes etc.)

I'm sure that you'll get an answer shortly as my boating detail is nill.....

Hang tight
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

If this helps......

Marine/RV line

I would say, check the finish and see what kind of correction is needed for the surface and see what kind of finish it has (gel coat), I'm limited on what is on boats.

There is a polish, cleaner wax, wax and compound/cleaners made especially for boats.

Not much help, but I know others will chime in.

This may help too!

NEW! Meguiar's Marine & RV Surface Care Website!

Aaron

Comment

thanks Nappers.
          yeah, I guess you are right, I posted at a bad time, at least for MOL people to reply.

I was looking thru the Marine products and was thinking of the cleaner wax #50 for the fiberglass/paint areas.
          I was hoping that the Megs APC I already have would work on the seats and upholstery, and I already have two different types of metal/chrome polish that I hoped would work for trim chrome items on the boat.
          I know I'll need to buy a marine wax, such as the #50 if that is a good choice, but hoping to not have to buy too much other dedicated marine products - I'm not getting that much for the job anyway so don't want to spend half of it just on supplies, and who knows if I'll ever have to detail another boat again.

cool, thanks for the other link. I didn't know about the other dedicated Meguiar's Marine website

Comment

I would think that APC would be fine for the upholstery. I was thinking that #50 wax would be good. As far as the metal polishes go, I figure if they work decent on wheels which are subjected to the elements, then they should work. The Marine line is dedicated for boats as they may have a different formula for water/salt water.....

That link is great for the marine line, the top has a maintain section that I found interesting .

When you do the boat, put a thread in show off and show off that puppy!

Comment

well, since I never got a response from any MOL people I went ahead and ordered up some M50 for the paint. I figure my Megs APC will work OK on the vinyl seats, etc and I got some fresh metal polish for the chrome rails, trim, etc.
              I'm not getting much $$$ to do the boat job and I just spent almost half of it ($71.00) on the supplies but it's for a friend so oh well, that's life.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryK View Post
                well, since I never got a response from any MOL people I went ahead and ordered up some M50 for the paint. I figure my Megs APC will work OK on the vinyl seats, etc and I got some fresh metal polish for the chrome rails, trim, etc.
                I'm not getting much $$$ to do the boat job and I just spent almost half of it ($71.00) on the supplies but it's for a friend so oh well, that's life.
                Don't get so discouraged.
                I'm guessing not may people have used the boat products so response might be low.
                Heck even out of 22,000 members car guys sometimes only get a few hits
                So if no one is answering your question it's because we don't want to give you the wrong info.
                There's lot of questions already answered
                Do a search of your topic, you'll be surprised to find your not the only one.

Comment

use 83 it works well on boats
                  Tom
                  1997 Camaro RS - Shining like New !!

Comment

Ok here goes. Ive done a few boats. Most of which are in horrible condition!

If the boat is oxidized in any way, #49 works great with a wool pad.

Becareful if you are using a foam pad. They heat up VERY fast on gelcoat. I have made them smoke while messing around on one of my boats.

If you do not want to purchase a compound, 105 will work pretty good also on boats. I used it a bunch on my white boat and it worked great with a wool pad.

If the finish isnt too bad go with a cleaner wax like #50. Should remove any light oxidization that is on the surface.

For a final wax I use Collinite. If I had time to wax every two weeks I would use the Meg's Pure wax since it looks great! The Collinite I have found to always have great longevity, makes life easy when your boat is 3 hours away at the lake.
                    If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');