• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Detail with ONR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Detail with ONR

How is it that some of you guys who are pros detail using ONR or other waterless car washes without getting fined for waste water? Doesn't ONR still drip water onto the ground. I thought that if the water gets on the ground, it violates California's laws on the issue?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Re: Mobile Detail with ONR

Not a pro but an avid ONR user here. There really isn't much water that gets on the ground. The water that does isn't enough to run off anywhere, it just evaporates. Would that still violate the California law?
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc_11890 View Post
      How is it that some of you guys who are pros detail using ONR or other waterless car washes without getting fined for waste water? Doesn't ONR still drip water onto the ground. I thought that if the water gets on the ground, it violates California's laws on the issue?
      I'm not sure on CA law, but you can always cover the cars "drip edge" with towels to soak up any ONR that comes off. In most places its water runoff thats the issue, they don't want water entering the storm drains (well legally, building owners may have their own rules).
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Shouldn't?

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
          Shouldn't?

What???

Comment

Only "Rain in the Drain" is the motto of most coastal cities. ONR doesn't runoff to the drains, does it. So it wouldn't/shouldn't get you a fine. It has a very neutral PH reading, so it can be dumped into the ground after using it.

If your doing the conventional washing of your vehicle or are a mobile detailer, know your water containment rules for your city! Fines are getting higher and higher!

Water conservation is very important right now for all of California.

ONR is great product for these times of water shortages. I would still use it, even if we had an abundant supply of water in California.

Comment

well the laws in california differ between cities, like where i live, the code is usually only enforced in the summer. and all it really says is that if you are washing your car at home from your hose, it must be within a reasonable time limit and the hose must also have a nozzle that allows the water to stop flowing when not in use.
              Im no pro or anything, but i still use ONR just because it uses a whole lot less water, still gets the job dont just as good, if not better. and its just doing my little part to try and conserve as much water as possible out here in the desert.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
                Only "Rain in the Drain" is the motto of most coastal cities. ONR doesn't runoff to the drains, does it. So it wouldn't/shouldn't get you a fine. It has a very neutral PH reading, so it can be dumped into the ground after using it.

If your doing the conventional washing of your vehicle or are a mobile detailer, know your water containment rules for your city! Fines are getting higher and higher!

Water conservation is very important right now for all of California.

ONR is great product for these times of water shortages. I would still use it, even if we had an abundant supply of water in California.
                This is what the law says.
                As long as it doesn't go in the drain your ok.

Comment

Used ONR a couple of times. Never had a issue with water runoff. I can't see the few drops that end up on the ground would be a issue. They would evaporate long before they get to the drain.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

You can look at it this way, if you mix up 3 gallons of ONR (what I typically), at most 3 gallons will get on the ground. If you have a rinse bucket, you can add that as well or just dump in the sink. This can help determine what constitutes run off.
                    Al
                    ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I tried the no rinse products, and really didn't like them. There are things that you just can't do with an ONR product, or they are exremely hard to do. Like cleaning wheel wells, insides of wheels, engines, etc... If you're just taking care of the exterior paint on your vehicle, then ONR is a great product. But if you're trying to do a full deep cleaning, then I'll stick with my pressure washer. I can do an entire vehicle with about 10 gallons of water out of my van. So it's not too wasteful. A little more then ONR, but not real bad.

Right now, I'm working on a new idea for water(look for a thread here shortly). Going to collect rain water from my gutters

Nick
                      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                        = There are things that you just can't do with an ONR product, or they are exremely hard to do. Like cleaning wheel wells, insides of wheels, engines, etc...
                        Nick
                        I do agree with that. With ONR, I do wheels last and end up using using a traditional APC on wheel wells, tires, and wheels and rinse with the residue ONR. It works ok for maintained cars and in the winter months. The ability to clean most any time of the year in the garage is why I use it -- no worry on sun, etc.
                        Al
                        ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

wow, things seems complicated in the US, down here in indonesia, we dont have those laws, or maybe we do, but dont think anyone obeys them or any law enforcers understands them.....
                          but wouldn't it just be the same if ONR or any other liquid chemicals runs down the drain? it would still end up at a water refinery...
                          Ganesa,
                          Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
                            wow, things seems complicated in the US, down here in indonesia, we dont have those laws, or maybe we do, but dont think anyone obeys them or any law enforcers understands them.....
                            but wouldn't it just be the same if ONR or any other liquid chemicals runs down the drain? it would still end up at a water refinery...

Where I live, anything that goes down the storm drains goes strait to the ocean with no processing in between, so that is why they have these laws in order to prevent pollution.

Comment

You can use water, 1000 galons at at time if you want but, you just have to reclaim it. THE WATER JUST CAN'T GO INTO THE STORM DRAIN.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');