• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dull paint job help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dull paint job help

I would like suggestions or help in finding out if wet sanding this paint job would create gloss wet look?

Re: dull paint job help

I can not tell that well from the pictures because it is small.
    But is your paint is dull, in my opinion I think it may be oxidized
    So I would use Ultimate Compound/105 and SwirlX/205
    Wax with NXT 2.0 Tech Wax
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Wet sanding will never create gloss. Looks glossy in the picture? If you follow the steps to clean, polish, and protect the paint, white/silver will always be glossy. It may not have "depth" dark colors do...

Comment

I should of commented this paint job was done 4 months ago and has very little gloss and I cant tell if the job was poorly process or orange peel effect to it. Here is the other pic as the manufacture side looks glossiy. I was thinking of wet sanding newly paint job with 2500 grit high speed compound 84 and then apply wax for finish.

Comment

dull paint job

manufacture paint job

Comment

manufacture

Comment

Please Read This:

How to Post Images in Your Message

If you want more gloss, shine, and depth from any paint...You need to Polish and Wax.

1. Wash
              2. Clay
              3. Ultimate Compound
              4. SwirlX
              5. NXT 2.0 Wax
              Matt

Comment

Couple of questions...

Did you bring these issues up with the shop that did the work?

Have you ever sanded down a car and buffed it out?

Do you own a rotary buffer and do you know how to use?

When you hear the term wet-sanding, or color-sanding, 90% of all sanding and buffing is done within a few days of having the car painted, as in one or two days after the car is moved out of the paint booth.

This is because at this time the paint is still fairly soft and easy to remove sanding marks out of, as time goes by and the paint cures and hardens it gets harder to buff out your sanding marks.

(It's always easy to sand paint, that means putting scratches into the paint, it's not always easy to remove them).

If you're not skilled in the art of sanding and compounding with a rotary buffer then maybe invest in a DA Polisher and some Ultimate Compound and buff the entire car out the safe way. Then polish and wax.

Don't dive into a project that's long and hard and filled with risk if you don't know what you're doing.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just to note,

To insert a full size picture into your message, click on the thumbnail in your gallery and this will bring up the full size image. Then copy and paste the URL Address for the full size image into your message.

It looks like you're copying and pasting the URL Address for Thumbnails.

I edited a few of your posts and fixed the problem.

If you haven't read this yet, give it a read as it addresses this and everything else involved with correctly getting pictures into your messages.

How to place an image in your messages

Lots of screen-shots too...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i can kinda see the difference bewtween the shops work and the original paintjob. It seems like whenever you get a car repaired it never looks the same
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Mike can you blow up the first pick? It gives a better understanding of the unglossy wet reflection finsh. I used to work at Ziebart Tidy Car and polished meaning cars. I never wet sanded a car. The body shop said it would need wet sanding. I have worked with the rotary before. I dont do detailing anymore. I have had 3 detail shops look at it and 2 out of 3 said the job may have been poorly processed.

I do know the wet sanding process would have been better during a few days after paint job.

Comment

[/IMG]

Comment

I can see what he's talking about. I have a silver 4Runner and the color is similar to this car. To me, that color seems the most difficult to get a good shine out of, but not impossible with the right combination of products.

Comment

Originally posted by droman View Post
                            ...wet sanding this paint job would create gloss wet look?
                            Yes

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                            Wet sanding will never create gloss. ...
                            Uh hu.
                            You have to get the paint flat and no defects.
                            Wet sanding, or buffing with a compound, accomplishes this.
                            It's like a telescope. They work because the mirrors are perfectly flat to reflect the sky, that's how you get those great reflective shoots on those black cars (ie: Nicks latest Viper detail) because the paint is flat because of polishing, buffed or wet sanded.

Polishing is the part ware your flattening the paint, either wet sanding or buffing.
                            Waxing a car with polish is not polishing a car
                            Polish /Wax is the top coat that give a shinny protective gloss that reveals your hard work on the actual paint/clear coat with an amazing reflection (Nick)
                            If you put wax on a car in the junk yard it's not going to reflect anything but all the imperfections in the paint.

Originally posted by droman View Post
                            ....this paint job was done 4 months ago and has ... orange peel effect to it.
                            This tells me they didn't sand it. All paint has orange peal, that's why the body shops wet sand and they didn't.

I just love this littel guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post

This tells me they didn't sand it. All paint has orange peal, that's why the body shops wet sand and they didn't.
                              Well, that isn't necessarily true. In fact, if the body shop did their job correctly they would leave some orange peel to match the texture of the factory orange peel on adjacent panels.

However, too much orange peel means they may have skipped sanding and buffing it out.

I'm having a hard time deciding what the issue is from those pictures, but it is possible that the paint itself is lacking the proper pigment or the flakes didn't lay properly to give it the "pop" that the rest of the car has.

I definitely would NOT start by trying to wet sand, cut and buff the entire car. Try a few polishes out and see if they can add the gloss you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');