• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Megs position on 4" pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Megs position on 4" pads?

For those of us who are novices, I'd like to know the Meg's position on 4" pads. Let me explain some of my thoughts...

I own a G110 and an assortment of 8006, 9006 and two 7006 pads and like the pads, although I feel as though they get bogged down a bit quick (with product) and lose their cutting ability (8006) relatively quickly. I find the G110 has a hard time rotating the pads.

I clean on the fly after about every two panels, but it doesn't help all the much.

Meg's then introduces the new washable pads which are 7.5", up from the 6.5" that I use. I've never used them, so I can't comment upon the specifically, but logic would dictate they would be harder to rotate than a 6.5" pad.

In any event, I also use 4" pads by LC, which I really like. I feel like the Meg's pads are better quality, but I really LOVE the 4" size. I just feel like it gives me a better ability to correct because the pads are easier to spin with my G110.

So, my question is why Meg's doesn't make a 4" pad?

If you tell me that I'm probably not cleaning my pads properly or using too much product, I'm open to all of that, but that is not really my question. I know all the Megs pros use the 7.5" pads with great success with a G110 and I've had great success with the 6.5" pads, it's just that I think the 4" pads are easier to work with.

So, is there some reason behind not making 4" pads? Is it simply because there is no market for them, or is there a theory behind why a 4" pad might not be the right choice?

Thanks in advance.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: What's the Megs position on 4" pads?

I'll give you my "worthless" take on 4" pads.

I use them with a Makita rotary on every detail. They cut and polish in tight spots. They get hot as can be very quickly, you should use them only at a low speed. Be careful with them on urethane bumpers and spoilers. Those do not react to heat as slowly as sheet metal does.

At a slow speed, I had trouble removing 2000 sanding marks with M105 and a yellow Lake Country 4". The spot was tight, it was that or by hand.

Comment

I totally get that with regards to their use with a rotary, but many hacks like me, don't use rotaries, and the extra "umph" I feel I get from a 4" is handy (at least I think it is handy).

Comment

I haven't tried them on the PC, I dont have a proper backing plate.

Comment

Accumulator, who used to contribute not infrequently to MOL but is now found over at Autopia, swears by the 4" pads and the PC.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Plus they are super handy for tight spots! Bumpers, pillars and the like.

I like the 4" LC pads but they just don't have the great foam like Meguiar's. Meg's is my favorite foam by far.
            Scott

Comment

you could cut down some Meg's pads. When I started this game, I bought 8" pads for my rotary, then I found them to be too big, I cut them down and used some sandpaper to round them off.....or a sharp cookie cutter and a hammer....Kevin Brown! LOL.
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Hey guys, im sorry but Im still pretty new to this forum and I usually only stop by when I have a question but I do appreciate any help that comes my way. I have a question about the washable pads for the DA polisher. I was wondering what was the best way to clean them? Hand wash or machine wash?

Comment

Infinitevision, if you do a Google search of this site for the soft buff 2.0 pads, you will find numerous suggestions for their cleaning. If your search is not successful, then you will have better luck getting responses from the brethren if you pose your question in a new thread.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

My reasoning for Megs not coming out with 4" pads for the G110, is it will change the dynamics to an unsafe level for us novices. The safety clutch on the G110 is calibrated around the 6.5" pads (I'm guessing). You give someone with my skill level some 4" pads and the G110 and I may be able to burn through some paint or do some other damage.

However, I did buy some 4" pads from a link 3Fitty (is that pronounced "Thrifty"?) post awhile back. I have yet to use them.

Mike
                    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                      My reasoning for Megs not coming out with 4" pads for the G110, is it will change the dynamics to an unsafe level for us novices. The safety clutch on the G110 is calibrated around the 6.5" pads (I'm guessing). You give someone with my skill level some 4" pads and the G110 and I may be able to burn through some paint or do some other damage.

However, I did buy some 4" pads from a link 3Fitty (is that pronounced "Thrifty"?) post awhile back. I have yet to use them.

Mike
                      That's what I thought *might* be the explanation, but seeing as I'm pretty dense and I haven't messed up my car yet, I figure nobody could!!!

It's pronounced 3 Fitty (not thrifty). Think of the rapper (50 Cent - Fitty) and add a 3 to it! Dense, like everything else I do!

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                        It's pronounced 3 Fitty (not thrifty). Think of the rapper (50 Cent - Fitty) and add a 3 to it!
                        I have been pronouncing it my head as 3 Fitty until this morning when I had an epiphany that it was a clever way of spelling "thrifty".

I've got to stop reading license plates so much when I drive.

Mike
                        Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Thrifty....

Go for the 4" on a rotary on tight bumpers and rocker panels.

Not sure the limited throw of a PC can exploit the benefits of a 4" without using diminishing abrasives. You still would want a 5.5" or a 6.5" on the PC.

Comment

I use 4" pads all the time with my PC and it works great.

Comment

I use 5.5" pads when I'm using the G110 and they're 'perfect'... obviously not as much concentrated correcting ability as 4" pads, but the bigger size covers a bigger area and is definitely MUCH better than 6.5" pads on the G110... I'm hoping Meg's listens to the detailers around the US and goes with some 5.5" pads, or at the very least some 6.5" pads with the new foam... I refuse to buy the new pads because of their size.. 6.5" is so perfect on rotary, and decent on the G110
                              Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                              Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');