• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question for mobile detailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for mobile detailers

ok if you really don't have the cash to do a generator and water tank how do you loo professional and still use their water and electric?I just can't think of a way to say that without looking unprofessioal,but I know a lot of you do.Any ideas or advice?

Re: question for mobile detailers

Well I used to use hook up to a building that I was detailing at, usualy wasn't a problem.
    Just save your pennies, shop Creigs list and you'll have your stuff in no time!

Comment

For electricity you could go get one of these and plug in a power outlet to it.

As for the water, you could offer a discount for using their water, or you could try using ONR (that is what I am thinking of probably doing, unless their car is very dirty)

What you could say is that you want to be environmentally friendly and use less water, and that is why you use ONR, but if it is too dirty you must use a hose.

In the end the only way to appear completely professional is to have an actual generator and water tank, because that is what most professionals do.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

ok stupid question whats ONR?apparantley I haven't read enuff lol

Comment

I emphasize the fact that my money and time is spent on high end defect removal and the skills and products needed for that. I don't need spot free water to make a car look good-I use my knowledge, skills, and abilities along with buffers that 90% of "detailers" do not own, let alone know how to use.

The end product speaks for itself. That and the fact that I unload bags of products and buffers they have never seen before. Your typical high volume detailer has 3-4 spray bottles, a few rags, and then a big trailer that in the end just provides spot free water.

To some, the trailer might be professional, to others, they understand that I do this work as a serious passion and appreciate the time and tools I have over a trailer.

Comment

ONR is a rinseless product called Optimum No Rinse.
            Al
            ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

My clients do not care, in fact I tell them upfront, and they have no problems.
              Usually, they are too busy staring at the final product to even care....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Executive Detailing View Post
                My clients do not care, in fact I tell them upfront, and they have no problems.
                Usually, they are too busy staring at the final product to even care....lol
                Exactly...

Comment

very good point about them not caring when they see their car looking better than the day they drove it off the lot from which it was purchased.
                  Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Ehhh, I guess I'm the minority here. Maybe it's just my own perception, but I think the more professional you look, the more professional your clients are. I carry a 90 gallon water tank in the van, and keep it at least half full all the time. And yes, I even filter my water. Here in Texas, it gets hot, really hot! In the summer, if you try and wash a car in the shade, it dries almost imediately. Without filtering my water, I would be fighting water spots everyday.
                    Also, how are you guys detailing your clients vehicles in the parking lot at their office?

Be prepared for everything at anytime!
                    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                      Ehhh, I guess I'm the minority here. Maybe it's just my own perception, but I think the more professional you look, the more professional your clients are. I carry a 90 gallon water tank in the van, and keep it at least half full all the time. And yes, I even filter my water. Here in Texas, it gets hot, really hot! In the summer, if you try and wash a car in the shade, it dries almost imediately. Without filtering my water, I would be fighting water spots everyday.
                      Also, how are you guys detailing your clients vehicles in the parking lot at their office?

Be prepared for everything at anytime!
                      Don't get me wrong Nick- if I could have a full rig and spotless- I would! I do agree a proper setup will make you look more professional, but for me, it was either invest $5,000 into tools and products for proper paint restoration, or $5,000 so I can wash cars with spot free water and my power.

You're one of the few with the success and skills to have both

Comment

I think if I ever do this beyond my own vehicles, friends, and family, it will be part time and I'll be operating out of the trunk of my sedan to start off, but my soon-to-be perfectly polished Accord would also be my mobile billboard. For specialized jobs I would probably rent a utility vehicle, the needed tools, and absorb the cost as growing pains.

But if I ever get to the Nick Chapman or Jose Fernandez level, I would expect to have all the toys!

Comment

Well, at least my name was spelled correctly

It doesn't cost very much to carry your own water. Seriously, if you have a Northern Tools around you, you can buy a few things there, and keep it under $1k

Find a good used SMALL trailer, maybe $300?
                          50 gallon water tank from Northern, $150?
                          Small pressure washer(maybe even an electric one?) from Northern, $150-$300?
                          Spot free water system from ADS, $250?
                          Misc hoses, $20?

Buy a couple of truck style tool boxes to store some supplies in, and you'll have yourself a small detailing rig that isn't large and could be pulled behind a Focus or Accord without a problem
                          2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                          2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                          2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                          2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Nick,the water tank and maybe thepressure washer I might be able to handle,but you probably have a generator too right?I thought about getting the generator and possibly an electric pressure washer hmm I dunno.I probably will have to do a piece at a time what would you guys reccomend?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                              Well, at least my name was spelled correctly

It doesn't cost very much to carry your own water. Seriously, if you have a Northern Tools around you, you can buy a few things there, and keep it under $1k

Find a good used SMALL trailer, maybe $300?
                              50 gallon water tank from Northern, $150?
                              Small pressure washer(maybe even an electric one?) from Northern, $150-$300?
                              Spot free water system from ADS, $250?
                              Misc hoses, $20?

Buy a couple of truck style tool boxes to store some supplies in, and you'll have yourself a small detailing rig that isn't large and could be pulled behind a Focus or Accord without a problem

What about the entire water reclaim system? That is a fortune in and of itself.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                              Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');