Does Claying Really Remove Wax? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Does Claying Remove the Wax or Sealant

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Claying removes all the wax or sealant leaving the paint bare.

    76 37.81%
  • No Claying does not remove wax or sealant

    17 8.46%
  • Clay removes some wax or sealant but only where bonded contaminates were cleaned.

    44 21.89%
  • Depends on the type of clay used

    17 8.46%
  • Don't Know

    47 23.38%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71

Thread: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

          
  1. #31
    Detailing Enthusiast CieraSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Powell, Tennessee
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,543
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote Originally Posted by brims View Post
    For those of you that wash, clay, and wash again, there is the Meguiar's (?) squeak test to see if there is wax on the surface. I know this one won't work for those of us that wash then clay and move on because the QD will prevent the squeak, but this may be more information on this subject.
    Well, if there is any wax left on the surface after claying, it will be removed after you use a paint cleaner (i.e. DC1, Scratch X 2.0, Swirl X, Ultimate Compound, etc.).
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

    If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

  2. #32
    Registered Member 10degreesbtdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Here's the question that came to mind when reading this thread: If claying removes the wax/sealant where does it go? If you took the amount of wax/sealant that was used to coat the entire vehicle and poured it or spread it on a clay bar, it would not absorb it. So does the wax/sealant being removed when claying run off with the lubricant used? Wouldn't it show up in the run-off/residue or on the clay since most waxes/sealants have color? (shouldn't gray clay show lavender color from M21 or yellow from paste wax as if you rubbed it directly on the clay, same as it leaves the color on pads). Similar to when wet sanding clear coat residue/run-off is white. ???


  3. #33
    Detailing Enthusiast CieraSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Powell, Tennessee
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,543
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote Originally Posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
    Here's the question that came to mind when reading this thread: If claying removes the wax/sealant where does it go? If you took the amount of wax/sealant that was used to coat the entire vehicle and poured it or spread it on a clay bar, it would not absorb it. So does the wax/sealant being removed when claying run off with the lubricant used? Wouldn't it show up in the run-off/residue or on the clay since most waxes/sealants have color? (shouldn't gray clay show lavender color from M21 or yellow from paste wax as if you rubbed it directly on the clay, same as it leaves the color on pads). Similar to when wet sanding clear coat residue/run-off is white. ???

    Well, I don't think the clay necessarily absorbs it, it just breaks it down faster then it would under its normal environment. Since the wax is only a few sub microns thick (or whatever the correct term is), breakdown of the wax is not going to be visible to the naked eye. From all that wax or sealant that you put on your applicator or pad and applied it to the car, only some of that goes on the car and bonds to the paint. The rest gets buffed off. And as far as the color of the wax or sealant is concerned, that's not going to be an issue because the color gets pretty much left behind in the residue, which you buffed off as excess. So that won't show up on your clay. If it were left behind for your clay or whatever, then don't you think your car would have a light yellow or lavender tint to it (based on the color of the LSP)? If that were the case, it would be especially noticeable on light colored cars, like white or silver. You'd probably see a lot of stuff on your clay bar if you stuck it under a microscope, but nothing you can see with the naked eye and therefore nothing you should worry about. Hope this helps answer your questions.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

    If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

  4. #34
    Registered Member 10degreesbtdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    I did a test on a hood yesterday just to answer this question for myself...Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    I cleaned the hood with IPA numerous times. Splashed some water on it and it beaded up. Cleaned again, same thing. So I went ahead anyway.

    Polished with M83 numerous times by hand to clean surface (not to remove obvious swirls), wiped 3 times with IPA, water still beaded.

    Applied several coats of M21, water beads looked the same. Clayed using only water as lubricant for this test so as not to introduce any residues from recommended clay lubricants. Same beads. Removed M21 with IPA (if there was any left after claying???), beads the same. Applied Gold Paste Wax, same beads. Clayed with water again, same beads. Cleaned with IPA, same beads.

    No matter what I did on this 3-stage paint the water beads look the same. This paint's clear-coat must have silicone in it! Weird. Can anyone tell me which part was waxed and which was not by looking at the water beads?

    Water poured slowly on surface half cleaned with IPA, half waxed with M21. It slowly ran off the to left because the hood was not completely level.


    Water sprinkled on half-waxed/half not waxed surface.




    Off topic: You can see why I need to wet sand this entire vehicle once fabrication/modification is complete. The paint job leaves a lot to be desired. I'd like to sell this hood since I don't need the opening in the scoop where the supercharger used to stick out. Anyone need a S10 hood with a 6" Harwood cowl induction scoop cutout for supercharger / dual Holleys?


  5. #35
    Registered Member 10degreesbtdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    And as far as the color of the wax or sealant is concerned, that's not going to be an issue because the color gets pretty much left behind in the residue, which you buffed off as excess. So that won't show up on your clay. If it were left behind for your clay or whatever, then don't you think your car would have a light yellow or lavender tint to it (based on the color of the LSP)? If that were the case, it would be especially noticeable on light colored cars, like white or silver.
    I understand what your saying Ciera. I'm not worried about this. I'm just trying to answer this for myself and for the member that posed the original question, mainly because I had too much time on my hands this weekend. Doesn't really matter since I always wax or seal after washing/polishing anyway. I see this as kind of a lab experiment rather than a problem.

    As far as waxes/sealants leaving a tint on paint, don't some waxes leave a warm glow? Isn't that the yellow Carnauba? I don't have a white vehicle or I'd try a test using M21 and Gold Wax to see if there is a noticeable tint compared to an unwaxed area. Speaking of tint, when I apply a speed glaze made by a local distributor of OPT products, the cloth is colored orangish/yellow. If I clean the paint with IPA a week or so later the cloth is also "stained" though a much lighter orangish/yellow. So not all of the color in this "wax" is removed during application and buffing. At least, not with this brand. Can't tell if it leaves a tint on the vehicle since it's medium silver color.

  6. #36
    Detailing Enthusiast CieraSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Powell, Tennessee
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,543
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote Originally Posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
    As far as waxes/sealants leaving a tint on paint, don't some waxes leave a warm glow? Isn't that the yellow Carnauba? I don't have a white vehicle or I'd try a test using M21 and Gold Wax to see if there is a noticeable tint compared to an unwaxed area. Speaking of tint, when I apply a speed glaze made by a local distributor of OPT products, the cloth is colored orangish/yellow. If I clean the paint with IPA a week or so later the cloth is also "stained" though a much lighter orangish/yellow. So not all of the color in this "wax" is removed during application and buffing. At least, not with this brand. Can't tell if it leaves a tint on the vehicle since it's medium silver color.
    I think a lot of what we're talking about in this thread is mere speculation, and cannot be proved or a surefire answer arrived at by the average Joe. All these various aspects of claying, cleaning, polishing, waxing, etc., would have to be rigorously tested in a lab in controlled environments. All we can do is say, "I think this" or "I think that." If you're following the recommended advice of the pros here on MOL and you're getting the results you want, then I don't think the issue of proving anything one way or the other is going to matter one bit. I wish I had an answer to you with regards to your test - unfortunately I don't. Last night at the dealership we had an '04 Isuzu Rodeo that is being sold and the customer is picking it up on Monday. It had gone to an outside detail shop but they hadn't clayed it, so some areas of the paint felt like sandpaper. Being a car crazy guy and being it was slow and I had nothing else to do, I went ahead and washed it, clayed it, re-washed it, and then waxed it, also finishing prepping it for final delivery. It still had swirls and stuff, but we don't have anything for polishing and it wasn't a primary concern (at least not to anybody besides me) so I had to let that go. Anyway, my point is, after claying it and giving it its second wash, the water beading was no different than before claying. Why I don't know. But you knew it had been clayed, and you could see the grime coming out of the paint onto the clay bar, so obviously some of the wax had to be removed. Again, all this is speculation.

    Your other question was with regards to tinting with certain waxes. I believe that that is the case, especially with lighter colors. I like topping NXT 2.0 with #26 on my car, because #26 makes the paint just glow and really makes the metal flake pop out. I had put 3M Performance Finish on my parents' 2000 white Honda Odyssey, and I decided to do a little test and try some Auto Magic carnauba wax (No. 89 XP Express Wax to be exact) on the hood to see if it would make a difference. Surprise, surprise, it actually made the hood a tad darker than the rest of the van. Here's a pic:



    Given, that's not the best pic since it is in the garage, but it's easier to see the darker "tinting" under the fluorescents than in the daylight.



    Of course, it could be just a mental thing and I could just think it's darker . But I think carnauba does make a difference. Just my thoughts...
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

    If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

  7. #37
    Forever Learning 02zx9r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Age
    46
    Posts
    425
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    Beading is a product of surface tension. Is it possible that the reason water beads well after claying is not because wax is still present but because the surface is now very smooth?
    I did my room mates 94 (i believe) Ford Escort, the first day I just washed with dawn, clay barred it real good. It was exceptionally smooth. I did not get around to the correcting work for a few days after because of the weather. But it rained the next day after I washed and clay barred it, and he called me saying the wax job I did is beading like crazy. I told him I have not waxed it yet, just washed it and used a clay bar on it.

    I'm with you on this one Al.
    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
    2005 Honda CRF250R
    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R


  8. #38
    Car Guy In Training Mikejl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    1,316
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akimel
    Beading is a product of surface tension. Is it possible that the reason water beads well after claying is not because wax is still present but because the surface is now very smooth?


    Quote Originally Posted by 02zx9r View Post
    I did my room mates 94 (i believe) Ford Escort, the first day I just washed with dawn, clay barred it real good. It was exceptionally smooth. I did not get around to the correcting work for a few days after because of the weather. But it rained the next day after I washed and clay barred it, and he called me saying the wax job I did is beading like crazy. I told him I have not waxed it yet, just washed it and used a clay bar on it.

    I'm with you on this one Al.
    Hey now, no fair you and Al double teaming me.

    The last thing you say you did was clay. That leaves open the probability that there was a coat of QD the surface which will increase surface tension and promote beading as mentioned in previous posts above.

    The real test would have been if you had washed the car after claying.

    Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

    George Carlin

  9. #39
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    139
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
    Quote:

    Hey now, no fair you and Al double teaming me.

    The last thing you say you did was clay. That leaves open the probability that there was a coat of QD the surface which will increase surface tension and promote beading as mentioned in previous posts above.

    The real test would have been if you had washed the car after claying.

    Mike
    I am also on the side that the beading came from QD on the surface.

  10. #40
    Calais Auto Detailing Calais's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,273
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
    That leaves open the probability that there was a coat of QD the surface which will increase surface tension and promote beading as mentioned in previous posts above.

    The real test would have been if you had washed the car after claying.

    Mike
    I've washed my car right after claying and not waxed it and it beads water like crazy.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Strip off wax before claying?
    By davera in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM
  2. Does claying remove all old wax?
    By Chain in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Nov 1st, 2005, 08:37 AM
  3. claying after applying wax
    By wax4tw in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 24th, 2005, 06:14 AM
  4. Does claying remove wax?
    By Saqs in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 24th, 2005, 06:53 AM
  5. does claying remove existing wax
    By fpalattao in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct 24th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •