• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new guy

Great forum, glad I found it...

My detailing exp:

I started working in a shop when I was in 11th grade, we were split into 3 parts, #1 exterior wash (included engine and underbody), rough vacume, jams, wheels, etc. #2 was inside detail (included basic interior repairs) #3 was exterior detail (obviously wax, repairs, some painting, underbody painting, pinstriping (and calling in others if we couldn't fix it, or messed it up)

The majority of our work was for area car dealers (actually our main purpose) but this was mixed in with personal customers that found us by some means, no advertising...

I went to church with the guy who owned this and he finally had an openning, started out with exterior wash, then finally to inside detail after a year or so. A couple of us were in highschool so we showed up after school and would get stuff ready for the full time guys then next day...

When I started college (community for two years) I stayed there and ended up doing a good part of the wax jobs... It's funny after reading the forums here about rotarys... I remember using some beast, I'm sure it was a commercial sander (was silver with black handles) for most of the jobs, we had others, but that was the main one... It had some nasty torque... I'm sure somebody showed me how to use it, can't remember, I do remember ripping off some pinstripes and buring some trunk edges tough, lol, but also remember fixing some really rough looking paint...

We also had a auto polisher, looked like a car wash (the old ones that had the round cylinders that would spin on the sides and top of your car) but had a wax that we would spray and then it would buff it out (was a different service) Funny story, some of the most fun I ever had was with that, if we were slow we would bear hug the side spinners, someone would hold them so they wouldn't touch, turn the maching on and see how long you could hold on, lol, dizzy city...

Anyway I recently got a car thats in need of some repair, first tought was to just pay to have it done but then realized I could get the tools I need for the same price and do it myself, I'll post some before and afters when the time comes. For now just reading up to see how things have changed since I was in the business (over 15 years ago, wow I'm getting old) before I dive back in.

Re: Another new guy

Welcome to MOL!

Things have certainly changed in 15 years!!!! You my friend have a lot of reading to do.

Andy M.
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

to Meguiar's Online!

Mike
      Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!! Read through the threads below to get you started.

Basic List O' Links
        List O' Links 2.0

Ryan
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Hello and welcome to mol.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');