• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got the swirls out, what about the high gloss, "wet" look...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got the swirls out, what about the high gloss, "wet" look...

I've been using the PC for awhile now, the PC 7424 I believe the model number is...

I can get all the swirls and scratches out, with no problem. But I'm having a hard time getting that super glossy wet look... anyone have any hints? I've read the stickies and such, just looking for some suggestions, mainly because I feel like I'm doing it correctly...

-Rick

Re: I've got the swirls out, what about the high gloss, "wet" look...

color of car?
    Products you are using?
    Application of products?
    Did you clay?
    Any pics you can provide?
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Both my cars are dark green...

But primarily the dark teal green camaro is the one I'm concerned about.

I started with a low cut white pad using Tropicare swirl cutter, and then backed off to a "no" cut pad using the swirlcutter as a polish. What I ended up with is a really good finish, scratch free, but no AS glossy as I'd like to see...

I've tried using a glaze but it didn't seem to help much.

And yes I've used a claybar and gone through all the usual steps. The tropicare company told me that they recommend going striaght from their swirlcutter/polish straight to wax.

Comment

There's a lot of different foam pads, or more specifically, foam formulas on the market and different foam formulas offer more or less abrading or finishing ability.

Same goes for abrasive swirl and scratch removers.

One simple test you could do to check the system you're using would be to tape off a section on the hood of one of these cars and then re-polish the paint on one side of the tape line with a different foam pad and chemical.

If you really want to trouble shoot this and figure out where the problem is, then invest in one of our W-8006 Yellow Foam Polishing Pads and some SwirlX.

You can get the foam buffing pad at most PBE stores and you can find the SwirlX at most auto parts stores plus Target and Walmart.

These two products do an incredible job of maximizing the gloss after you've previously removed the major defects with a more aggressive product which sounds like that you've done already.

The pad is around $13.00 and the SwirlX is around $9.00 so the test will cost you about $22.00

If it works you'll have a system to insure you reach your goal, if it doesn't then at this point it could be the paint is all that polishable.

Do both cars have the factory sprayed paint?

If you want to continue using what you already have then read through this and use your least aggressive chemical and your least aggressive pad and do a test spot.

How To use: G110 - G220 - G100 - PC/Porter Cable - UDM
        If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
        Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
        (These are all similar tools)

TEST SPOT

Doing A Test-Spot

Before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the product you're planning on using over the entire car to just one small section about a foot squared or so. Work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

A variation of the above would be to use the least aggressive pad you have with either SwirlX or ScratchX, (either version), or even ColorX.

All three of these chemicals with a polishing or finishing pad on the 4.0 to 5.0 speed setting should create a clear, high gloss finish as long as the major swirls and scratches have already been removed.

You can find any of these products at your local auto parts stores.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ricky,

You're not too far from me. I'm in Grapevine(just outside of Dallas).

If you're ever out this way, look me up. I'll be happy to work with you and help you achive your goals on your paint.

Nick
            2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
            2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Take Nick up on this offer.

He'll have plenty of different products to test out to see which products produce the best results.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Nick will teach you all you need to know..
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

I've tried Scratch, Swirl, and Color X, using various pads... I've completely eliminated scratches and defects, its just not popping like it should. And the problem persists on all vehicles I've done, not just my own.

BTW, Both the Z28 and the BMW have aftermarket PPG finishes...

I think its something in my technique... I'm just not doing something properly...

I plan on grabbing some #205 this weekend and giving it a try...

I've been playing on the forums here all day actually, just brushing up on stuff... its been a few years since I've done this sort of thing...

Thanks guys... and I'll take you up on that offer next time I'm around that area...

Comment

I'm basically brushing up on the old art, thinking of making a little money on the side...

I previously used only 3M products and had awesome results. I'm actually completely new to Meguiar's products...

-Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickyMartinZ28 View Post
                      I've tried Scratch, Swirl, and Color X, using various pads... I've completely eliminated scratches and defects, its just not popping like it should. And the problem persists on all vehicles I've done, not just my own.

BTW, Both the Z28 and the BMW have aftermarket PPG finishes...

I think its something in my technique... I'm just not doing something properly...

I plan on grabbing some #205 this weekend and giving it a try...

I've been playing on the forums here all day actually, just brushing up on stuff... its been a few years since I've done this sort of thing...

Thanks guys... and I'll take you up on that offer next time I'm around that area...
                      I recently detailed a 2000 dark Green Focus that had the hood repainted after a small fender bender a few years ago. The rest of the car buffed out great- but the hood just had no gloss. I had to do a 3,000 grit LIGHT sanding, and then back it out with wool and several polishing steps. In the end, it had the gloss I was looking for, but it was a lot of work.

I would hate to have to do that on an entire vehicle, and it is a risky job any time you sand and buff that much on a car.

Sadly, the paint job itself might be the issue and you might not be able to get it to pop quite like you want it to.

Give Nick a visit...if it can be fixed, he can fix it.

Comment

I would definitely take Nick up on his offer. He will help you trmendously in dialing in a system that will work for you.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

the best system that ive used is m105, m205 then m21. truly an awesome combo. Meguiars really outdid the competition with their new line especially.

Comment

Not the best pictures... but I guess it just doesn't look "smooth" to me... It shines but doesn't reflect well... I'll have to grab some better photos, its hard to describe.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');