• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin Brown method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Brown method?

hey guys, i already searched on google and everything i found was some pics and "finished results" but never a complete guide, and since im very impressed buy the reviews and pics i just want to know what is this method all about....

so, anyone can explain or post a link to the explanation? thanks again...

Re: Kevin Brown method?

This might help.

A look into Pad Priming - The Kevin Brown Method

Learning new things everyday

Comment

helped a lot timG,thanks!!

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that after spreading the product on the pad to prime, the excess must then be removed by dabbing with a microfiber? I don't see how to prime it simply by spreading it over the entire pad without ending up with too much product.

Comment

There really should not be any excess product.

Usually, I just apply a circle of the polish, work it into the pad, and then apply a bit more polish to the dry areas and work it in.
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
            There really should not be any excess product.

Usually, I just apply a circle of the polish, work it into the pad, and then apply a bit more polish to the dry areas and work it in.
            So the photo of an improperly primed pad is where the product was spread like butter on toast and not worked in sufficiently?

Comment

Correct. I just smeared a bunch of product over the entire pad without working it into the pores of the pad. To get the second picture, I pressed my finger into the pad to remove the excess product. This is not the correct procedure to prime the pad, but it was done to show what the pad should look like.
              Chris

Comment

Two question, Chris. After after you have primed the pad, how much product do you add to the pad for the first set of passes? How much product do you add for subsequent sets of polishes?

Al
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                  Two question, Chris. After after you have primed the pad, how much product do you add to the pad for the first set of passes? How much product do you add for subsequent sets of polishes?

Al
                  Depends on the area you are working.
                  I like to work small areas so I just put in the pad like 3 dots maybe 4 and that will be more than enough.

Comment

Yes, after priming the pad, I usually add four dots. After that, I switch to ~three dots.

I find that a circle is too much product for the area I usually work.
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                      Yes, after priming the pad, I usually add four dots. After that, I switch to ~three dots.

I find that a circle is too much product for the area I usually work.
                      I'm beginning to think that that using too much product may have been one of several technical flaws causing last week's polishing debacle. I was very concerned, perhaps excessively concerned, that a lubricating film always be present between pad and surface. I would clean the pad on the fly after each polishing set, and so assume that I needed a fresh "circle" or "X" of polish.
                      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

One thing we cover in the Saturday classes that sometimes gets left out of usually lengthy and already detailed replies is that after you've broken a clean, dry pad in, (now it's wet with product), you can reduce the amount of product you're applying to the face of the foam pad depending upon what you're working on and trying to accomplish. If you over-use your product you can hyper-lubricate the surface and actually make it harder for the abrasives to do their work, so it's important to find balance for your exact situation, (temp, humidity, paint, skill and style).

This could be 2/3rds of a circle of product, or only half of an X shape, or however you like to apply the product to the face of your foam pad.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I hate to ask dumb questions, but...there's no such thing as a dumb question, right?

I'm sure the answer before I ask is; it depends on the area I'm working, temp, humidity, etc. and the whole idea is to have a sufficiently lubricated pad so...learning to apply when necessary and not over-apply is the key. If I understand the whole point of priming it's to have product on the entire pad and not have a dry pad marring the paint?

My question; Since it's recommended to clean the pad often, How does this affect a primed pad? If I clean after 2 or 3 passes with a cloth or compressed air and there is dry product on the pad because it's a warm day which is now removed after cleaning...should I prime again or just reapply a small amount? This question is geared more towards rotary use than DA since it seems to be more difficult to maintain the proper amount of product for pad lubrication with the more aggressive tool. And it's easier to buff to a shine with a rotary, which is working the product too long during the correction process. Thanks!

Comment

The idea of pad priming is to speed up the way the polish spreads on the pad and to make sure there is polish available in every pore of the pad. Without priming the pad, it might take a few passes before the pad surface has product in every pore. Even then, the product might not be evenly distributed.

By having the product available in every pore, you are increasing the cut of the pad. At the same time, you are decreasing the chances of producing a pad generated defect.

This is getting into Kevin's paper, but it's worth it...
                            There are number of ways to clean the pad, but some are better than others. Cleaning the pad with a terry or microfiber towel can leave fibers in the pad. These can leave micromarring in some cases. Compressed air or a new pad are the best solutions. There is definately a point when a new pad is in need. The pad will soak up product and slow down the polisher.

To be on the safe side, I usually prime the pad after it has been cleaned. But, it can lead to overpriming and decreased cut. After the pad has been primed, used, and cleaned, I apply two dots of product. This is what I have found to work best, but you can always use whatever method you find best.
                            Chris

Comment

I have found that when cleanin the pad on the fly, you do not completely remove all the product. The pad does not become dry. You are just removing the excess product. This allows the pad to accept more product for the next section you are working on.

Hope this helps.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');